corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bit of a dilemma!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bit of a dilemma!
DC90

User status: Offline
11th Jan 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so I recently became single, was with my ex for about 4 years (i'm 22). Bit shit, but life goes on. Anyway, since then, it really does feel like I don't have much where I live anymore. Not too many friends left due to whatever reason, have a couple of close mates which is cool with me. Just since becoming single I feel really, really out of place. Pretty much like I don't belong here anymore.

To cut a long story short - was telling this to a friend of mine in Spain the story, who has now offered me to move out there and work in his bar, just doing the usual PA stuff, getting paid enough to live but how much i'm getting paid is the least of my worries out there. It just gets me away from here for 6 months and gives me a chance to rethink, rebuild, whatever.

The dilemma - I'm currently in a pretty decent job and today have been told there's and interview coming in June which they want me to go for because they believe I have what it takes to move up in the company. Walk in on a very nice wage and it's a much different job than i'm doing now, probably one i'd enjoy more.

If I take option one I obviously have to leave my job, and return jobless. I have savings but they don't last forever.

I know people are going to say "ahh don't come to a forum for this". I'm not actually going to take an answer based on what people say, but it would be nice to hear if anybody else has experienced this! Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Sorry for essay

Edit - The company i'm in don't allow holidays for longer than 3 weeks. I'm looking to go there from end of april until christmas! Would definitely mean leaving my job and losing the interview.

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by DC90]

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by DC90]
Jake

11th Jan 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go on holiday and keep your job then go for the interview
sc0ott

11th Jan 12 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id say go for the job first and if it doesnt work out you can fall back on a trip to spain.
sc0ott

11th Jan 12 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt see the june part Defo go on holiday first
DC90

11th Jan 12 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edited, if I go and work in spain I definitely have to quit my job
Jake

11th Jan 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate, youre trying to get away from things going on in your head by moving to another country. if i were you i would ask your mate to see if you can do a 3 week stint out there helping him out. that way youre getting a change of scene and keeping your mind off things
DC90

11th Jan 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The breakup didn't just spark the idea, have been offered the job many times and have had to turn it down due to having a mrs.

Definitely agree I am trying to get away though!
M2RTY

11th Jan 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldnt run away from your problems, life goes on, you'll find someone else local and things will look up

or go shag 1000 spanish girls and still feel depressed, meh
andys sxi
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i was you i would stay in your current job, if you went to spain and come back 6 months later it might be even hard than it is now to find a job

April 08 feature car
N3CRO

11th Jan 12 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've felt the same about this shithole we call Bedfordshire for a long time. Always wanted to leave but life never worked out the way I planned and for now, I'm stuck here.

Anyways, to go and work in another country would be a cool experience but like you said, coming back after 6 months to unemployment, could end up fucking you up abit.

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by TheNobleOne]
DC90

11th Jan 12 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why it's a risk. I didn't mean to put so much emphasise on the fact me and my ex split. It's shit but it really didn't fuel these thoughts, just opened up the opportunity to atleast think about it properly.

The people around here are utter dicks, hence only having a few mates left, place is disgusting and going nowhere. Just feels like if i'm going to do something like this then now is the time.

Logically I should stay. I know either way i'll probably end up regretting not taking the other option.
Eddx14xe

11th Jan 12 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go over there for 2-3 weeks and work. Then come home to your proper job. Personally while you have a job over here, I would stay. I don't know what you do but once you have got this promotion and have done it for a few years, maybe you could find a job out there doing the same thing. That is if you still want to go there.

[Edited on 11-01-2012 by Eddx14xe]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Jan 12 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a holiday or just more time, I think 90% of people feel like running away somewhere far far away when they break up with their bird/bloke. Some do it and fuck off in a big way and some just get over themselfs in due course. Before you know it everything will be sweet.
Cardiac Kid

12th Jan 12 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fact is, you're obviously doing well in your job. A promotion may take your mind off things here as you'll be wrapped up in your new projects?

Just have a short holiday and visit your pal, then return to work with your mind on the job.

The old cliche goes "a change is as good as a rest".

I think it would be fitting for your dilemma.
N3CRO

12th Jan 12 at 01:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DC90
The people around here are utter dicks.

Couldn't agree more.
C2RL R

12th Jan 12 at 03:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The interview is only 2 months after the date you wanted to go Spain so stick it out and see if you get it.
MarkSport

12th Jan 12 at 06:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me i'd stick work out until june, see how the interview goes. if nothing comes off it, hop on the next plane out to spain.
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jan 12 at 06:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say they want you to go for the promotion, do they mean they're going to give you the job or they just want you to go for it?

In my experience its the latter because its good to have people hanging on thinking they're going to progress.

Depends if its your career or just a job you're going to leave anyway at some point.

Where you going in Spain? Do also bear in mind that Spain economically is comparable if not worse than where you are now and if you get rid of the bar and nightlife it'll be just the same.

Having said that, if I didn't have ties in the UK then I would probably find it very difficult not to clear off for a bit, learn a bit of language, see a few things. You're going to bore the shit out of your grandchildren when you tell them the story of that time you played it safe and displayed commitment to your employer.

[Edited on 12-01-2012 by Ian]
taylorboosh

12th Jan 12 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a lot depends on what you do now, if you work in asda stacking shelves fuck off to spain, if its a good job in a good company then stay
Jamie Walby

12th Jan 12 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are feeling depressed now earning a decent wage, feel how shit you are going to feel if you go to Spain, come back and can't get a job at all.......
baza31

12th Jan 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll cheer up soon it's always same when coming out of a relationship. When people used to say you'll look back one day and realise it's for best and I used to think fuck off. But it's actually true , your vison is blurred by the weight on your shoulders , once it's gone you'll be sound mate. Your only 22. See how the interview and job goes , take it and try it . You have many years to leave this country. As Ian said Spain's a write off at the moment, I've come back from there before Xmas and the amount of people that I spoke to who are coming back to England shocked me
jrsteeve

12th Jan 12 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a similar thing when I was 20, though I was faced with no promotion prospects for at least a couple of years (was only retail though) so went over to Magalluf with a friend who'd done it the year before. Loads of fun but come September when everyone goes back home and the weather gets colder it ain't all that! When I got back I started working in estate agency and now run my own lil company, might never have happened if I hadn't buggered off!

What job do you do, do you enjoy it, would it be easy to get back into when you get bored of Spain?
jrsteeve

12th Jan 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and mine had nothing to do with a bird, still had one when I went over
DC90

12th Jan 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for Virgin Media. Stable company. Get a bonus most months. I'm not definitely getting a promotion, just a few of us being put forward for the promotion and as it's a different manager, he will pick who he wants from the team. It's by no means a guarentee. I enjoy bits of my job but they expect a lot from us and most days I come home stressed. Even when i'm home work isn't finished and theres a lot to do with admin stuff.

I know I can go abroad any time but I feel like if ever there's going to be a time it's now. Feel I can go over there, grow as a person, learn new things and come back with a fresh outlook. My old man is constantly telling me to find a new job as he can see I don't enjoy mine too much at the moment!

Just don't want to look back in 5 years time and wish I had done something like this. Although, it could be shit and I come back and be jobless and in 5 years time be kicking myself! Thats the issue
DC90

12th Jan 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cardiac Kid
The old cliche goes "a change is as good as a rest".

I think it would be fitting for your dilemma.

makes sense mate!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bit of a dilemma! 23 database queries in 0.0648441 seconds