corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More power = Bigger Brakes needed?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author More power = Bigger Brakes needed?
3CorsaMeal

User status: Offline
19th Jan 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watching someone on a forum fit massive brakes, which weigh loads more than standard and also having to space wheels out 30mm to fit them, which will affect the handling.

The reason for big brakes is "fitting a VR6 turbo"

Do you really need bigger brakes because your adding more power? I can see the benefit on a track days, but on normal roads surely the car is going to be more or less the same weight and you are going to be slowing from similar speeds.

big eck

19th Jan 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You won't be slowing from similar speeds tho. As soon as you have a much quicker car you'll be driving that bit faster than before.
3CorsaMeal

19th Jan 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you will be doing 80mph instead of 70mph once you have the turbo?
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If my viva can stop with wanky 40 year old drum brakes all round from 70 mph im sure they will be fine.

I can understand if it was a 1.2 going to a 2.0 etc but if its a vr6 going to a vr6 turbo then dont really see it unless as you say track days.
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
so you will be doing 80mph instead of 70mph once you have the turbo?

You'll be more prone to having a bit of a play in the car therefore you'll be doing higher speeds coming into junctions/roundabouts etc thats where the bigger brakes will help.
Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you'll need bigger brakes as you'll be going faster and will need to stop quicker. Normal brakes won't be able to stop the car quick enough which will result in an accident. Some people on here have a rear disk conversion done to help with slowing down
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
If my viva can stop with wanky 40 year old drum brakes all round from 70 mph im sure they will be fine.

I can understand if it was a 1.2 going to a 2.0 etc but if its a vr6 going to a vr6 turbo then dont really see it unless as you say track days.

Are you saying that the turbo won't be that much quicker than the standard VR6???
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at say 60mph with a turbo it will be going the same speed as with out the turbo at 60mph though!
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what he is saying is going at a normal pace big brakes arnt going to have an affect.

its not even going to add much weight the turbo. It should be better at braking from higher speeds than normal
Jake

19th Jan 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

312mm would be good enough i would have thought. even the 288s over the 280s was like night and day.
Jambo

19th Jan 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends entirely on the standard brakes tbh.

V6 brakes on Corsa was possible the worst mod i ever did. Destroyed the handling and crabbed all over the place. Utter shite.
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree but I bet that once the turbo is fitted every now and then he'll be giving it some stick and before you know it your bigger brakes come in very handy when you realise your going a hell of a lot faster than you thought you were.

Its like saying that if I had a MK3 astra GSI with a 2ltr XE and then fitted the LET tuned to about 300bhp then the standard brakes would be fine. No they wont lol.
Jambo

19th Jan 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will always be better to uprate the brakes obviously, what i'm saying is he probably doesn't NEED to.

Remember the weight of the car isnt changing much, so it will be stopping the same mass.
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

V6 brakes on Corsa was possible the worst mod i ever did. Destroyed the handling and crabbed all over the place. Utter shite.

Good point. I have the brembos and there bloody good, probably OTT for the standard car. Anything bigger would be a waste of money.
Dave

19th Jan 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think you really need to unless the OE kit isn't up to much or you are adding more weight.

Say I mapped my S3 for example, I've added 40-50bhp but no extra weight, therefore I see no need to upgrade the brakes. If I was going to track it that's a different story.
big eck

19th Jan 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It will always be better to uprate the brakes obviously, what i'm saying is he probably doesn't NEED to.

Remember the weight of the car isnt changing much, so it will be stopping the same mass.

But the mass will be travelling a good bit quicker so bigger brakes is a pretty good option lol
adiohead

19th Jan 12 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's like people fitting expensive track pads on their road cars because everyone else tells them too.
antnee

19th Jan 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the standard brakes tbh.
broster
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

why should the car crab with bigger brakes?

i had v6 brakes on the front and a rear disc conversion on mine, was awesome.

my bmw has 6pots on the front and 4 pots on the rear, not been in a car which feels as balanced under hard braking, and stops sooooo quickly again and again without any fade or vibrations
thegsi

19th Jan 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will be able to drive the car faster with bigger brakes rather than adding more power.
Steve
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt bother uprating the brakes unless it was being used on track, if you are doing 160mph silly speeds on the roads you deserve what you get tbh

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Steve]
AK

19th Jan 12 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

road car - nice but no need unless he is frequently flat out and getting much higher speeds than before.

track - 100% a good idea. Bigger brakes disapate heat more quickly as well as having a much greater surface area to 'stop' with. He'll have more power, so more speed, so will need to brake more. No Brainer.

He prob could just use the OE setup with uprated discs, pads, lines and fluid - but its not as good.
AK

19th Jan 12 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also - what is 'massive'

whitter45

19th Jan 12 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely a faster accelerating car would mean you need a better brake performance

I agree like for like speeds then not required but if you car is quicker then surely youwill need the brake performance at some point

Hence why some car makers limit cars to 155 - so they do not have to account for bigger brakes, suspension setup etc when consider costs involved in development and pricing of car

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by whitter45]
3CorsaMeal

19th Jan 12 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
also - what is 'massive'

was going to be 365mm RS4 front setup

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » More power = Bigger Brakes needed? 22 database queries in 0.0193191 seconds