corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pay how you drive

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pay how you drive
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Feb 12 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16969509

Opinions?

I wonder how hard would it be to disconnect that and just put it back in the car every now and again
tom130691
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hate the idea
vx-scottw
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
hate the idea
noshua

9th Feb 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure it's been around for a couple years, saw someone give a link to it in a thread a while ago (they had a massive insurance premium and said that was a cheaper option).

Stupid idea, speed is about the only decent thing that can come of it, although there are situations (i.e. motorway) when you're going to exceed 70mph purely for overtaking purposes.
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good for new drivers I guess, gives them ammunition to shake off their pre-defined reputation for being accident prone.

Not something I'd ever consider though.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

9th Feb 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its like being watched all the time! :/
Eddx14xe

9th Feb 12 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has it pro's and con's.

I personally don't like the thought of someone being able to find out where I am/going and how fast i'm driving.
chrisritch

9th Feb 12 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds fucking shit.
Daveskater
Premium Member

9th Feb 12 at 22:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's a great idea. It's not something I would use, but for a lot of people I think it would be an easy way of massively lowering insurance premiums, and it shouldn't affect them too much driving style wise. It's good that you can go on the website and see how they rate you on various things, then you can see how to make your insurance even lower.

Tbh anyone who says they hate it or that it's a bad idea, it's clearly not designed for you. Easy as.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AlunJ

9th Feb 12 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be handy if your car was nicked perhaps? I'm not so sure I'd want it in my car though.
Sunz

9th Feb 12 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet the average driver wouldn't save a penny using that and that probably something like 0.01% of drivers could save anywhere near £850.

I personally would use it, if it saved me money and didn't cost me anything to install.
AlexW

9th Feb 12 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same thing as co-op (IIRC) or coverbox have been using for ages (I fitted a load to customers cars), Ones I fitted were basic low end Tracker items (Can't remember the model name)

Depends on the driver if its worth it or not. Average person who just gets in their car and drives it, don't rag it or act like a twat will benefit from it.

I wouldn't have one, Even though I have a proper Tracker (they don't use the info for any reason other than to find the car if stolen)
brebaz

9th Feb 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a quote from something like that when i passed my test and it was going to be more than normal insurance. Would be mingin to have anyway!
Eddx14xe

9th Feb 12 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How deep do these things actually go into the car?

I mean does it just detect your speed and location? Or can it detect when you are indicating, how hard/fast you brake and accelerate etc?
ryzer

9th Feb 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my little bro uses the co-op one and has done for ages, its really good, he doesnt drive like a prat and gets rewarded for it, great for building up some no claims.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
9th Feb 12 at 23:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to think this was a bad idea but I reckon I'd do OK, I don't do many miles, I don't drive in rush hour and I just pootle about going slow everywhere these days. Would certainly look better for me on the Land Rover and probably the Astra based on the fact that hardly ever moves these days anyway.
3CorsaMeal

10th Feb 12 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would do ok until I get the corrado back, not been fast for ages now, really miss the thrill of 200bhp
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
10th Feb 12 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never drive fast on the road these days.
corsav6_mut

10th Feb 12 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They already put it on their vans. It's not like big brother I speed occasionally and nothing ever been said. We use it to try and be Eco friendly though as it flashes at you when you've been idling for 5 mins+ it doesn't like corners, they expect you to crawl around them or it starts flashing again.
gez bay

10th Feb 12 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car ive got now is all about saving. id have one as i potter around in my diesel trying to get maximum mpg

only if its saved a couple of ££ not just pennies.
Generation

10th Feb 12 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it's a good idea. Not sure why everyone feels so paranoid about it knowing your location.
philip2

10th Feb 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id end up having to sell the evo if they made you fit these lol
ed

10th Feb 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's something I'd consider having if it would reduce my premium. I live in a bit of a shit area for insurance and it's gone up by around £100 every year for the past few years, plus I'm using my car less and less.
Liam-Wilko

10th Feb 12 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate has one of these fitted and it was briliant other than he had some sort of thing were the car can not be used during 11pm and 7am with some insurance company but his insurance was alot lower due to it and if he needed the car after that time he could make a payment of £5 or summit stupid to use the car for between 11pm and 7am he never uses his car like
John

10th Feb 12 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
Not sure why everyone feels so paranoid about it knowing your location.

Because unless you are completely perfect you don't want them knowing your location, speed, driving style.

I'm just waiting for the first story of a fairly big crash that they don't get paid out because the tracker could see they were speeding, or driving dangerously in some manner.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pay how you drive 23 database queries in 0.3244972 seconds