corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » need a quick response - loss of drive

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author need a quick response - loss of drive
tom130691
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   10th Feb 12 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

driving along yesterday:

doing about 40 and lost all drive, i thourght clutch straight away,

how ever i still get gears with engine on and the speedo will go up with the revs,

recovery guy said inner cv (makes sense to me)
the garage i have dropped it at says (clutch)

only thing i can think of that take all of the above in to acount is the diff is dead?

help!!

[Edited on 10-02-2012 by tom130691]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely the speedo changing with the revs would suggest the clutch and box are fine, otherwise they wouldn't be able to spin the speedo drive?
daymoon
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if clutch would have gone i would imagine that when selecting gears with engine on it would crunch like no ones business. Inner CV sounds plausible
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's not moving at all the gearbox is spinning and turning the speedo but it isn't getting transfered to the wheels? Diff, new gearbox time
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diff or inner cv.
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
If it's not moving at all the gearbox is spinning and turning the speedo but it isn't getting transfered to the wheels? Diff, new gearbox time

this is what makes me think diff or cv, both of these will cause this,

however i cant remember, if i could get gears without clutch while engine running

if its a cv the corsa will live, if its clutch or box it will die.
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 10:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think im going to go the garage and pull the cv boot back my self, then it should be pretty simple to see if one side of the cv is moving and the other isnt.

i refuse to pay for a clutch if its not the problem, for all i know he will just do the cv and charge for the clutch, all garages are cunts
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:
Originally posted by pow

however i cant remember, if i could get gears without clutch while engine running

Surely if both wheels aren't turning it's diff related, could BOTH inner CV's go at once?
3CorsaMeal

10th Feb 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like when one of my cv joints went, although i didn't know much back then and garage told me it was driveshaft so i presume they meant an end
VegasPhil
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driveshaft has popped out. Jack it up and pop it back in. Rubber mallet etc. 5 minute job.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Driveshaft has popped out. Jack it up and pop it back in. Rubber mallet etc. 5 minute job.

Sounds exactly like that

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
VegasPhil
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pain on lowered corsas. I did it once with a rock I found on the side of the road. Improvise

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I'd messed up my engine first time it happened to me!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
baza31

10th Feb 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
think im going to go the garage and pull the cv boot back my self, then it should be pretty simple to see if one side of the cv is moving and the other isnt.

i refuse to pay for a clutch if its not the problem, for all i know he will just do the cv and charge for the clutch, all garages are cunts

No garages are there because you can't do the job , if you can do the job you wouldn't take it there . If you come to my garage and started dismantling your car in yard I would tell you to get fucked . If you don't trust your garage don't take it there. All garages are not cunts , the cunts IMO are the people who think they know more than garage but really know fuck all . Why didn't you take it home and check it out yourself before taking it to someone you dOnt trust?
daymoon
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Surely if both wheels aren't turning it's diff related, could BOTH inner CV's go at once?

With an open diff all power will go to wheel that has less effort spinning.

Same as you will see people doing burn outs and one wheel wheel not turn and other will be up in smoke.

that is my understanding anyway
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But Tom is saying there isn't any wheelspin
John

10th Feb 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wouldn't wheelspin in that case, it would just spin the shaft that was no longer attached to a wheel.
pow
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That still requires both shafts to be broken in some way doesn't it? Moneys' still on diff
harrisp

10th Feb 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CV joint 99% sure it is, if one goes then you wont get any power the the other wheel, I had exactly the same problem.
SportBoy

10th Feb 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doubt its the diff as they tend to lockup when broken (unless its a vag). A CV/UJ joint will be obvious by looking at it/pulling it ,

[Edited on 10-02-2012 by SportBoy]
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow your correct if it had an lsd with a normal diff all drive goes to wheel with less resistance aka on with broken joint

However saying that been to garage showed me both cvs are ok so pow wins with the diff despite not understanding

Will be broken down now for parts
scottyp1989

10th Feb 12 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
That still requires both shafts to be broken in some way doesn't it? Moneys' still on diff

If one cv went you would have no drive at all, as john said. on an open diff you. Eed equal resistance on both side otherwise you will get no drive
tom130691
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also heard diffs seize but clutch and diff bothguna cost around 300ish
Steve
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

no if one cv goes all the drive will go through the that broken joint

doubt its diff if speedo is going up, diff spins the speedo gear
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

10th Feb 12 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just buy a new box mate, what engine is in the car? Gearboxs are easy to come buy and there cheap, buy yourself a newbox and clutch and fit it at home easy easy easy job

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » need a quick response - loss of drive 23 database queries in 0.0153251 seconds