corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » boiling eggs

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author boiling eggs
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Mar 12 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, even if I do say so myself, I've always been handy in the kitchen and even trained to be a chef for a little while BUT I can never boil an egg to save my life, it always comes out undercooked and still completely runny or hard boiled.

Tried to do it Delia's way of boiling it for one minute, then standing it for 5minutes with a lid over it last night and it was completely uncooked. Did everything by the book? One time I'll cook it for 5minutes and it'll be runny, the next I do it for 5 minutes and it'll be hard.

so, How do you cook the perfect boiled egg?
pow
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't, I HATE eggs in their 'raw form' with a passion, makes me feel sick looking at them, boiled, scrambled (the worst), fried. Bleh.

Mum normally does them in a sauspan barely bigger than 2/3 eggs though, seems to do the trick.
BarnshaW

21st Mar 12 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heat up water to boiling point and put egg in for 3 mins?
RichR
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's what I bought yesterday, a smaller pan, did everything Delia said to do and they were still runny.

I can make the perfect poached, scrambled, fried eggs but for the life of me I can never boil an egg
RichR
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you meant to salt teh water or anything? This is a genuine question by the way as I want boily eggs and soldiers for my tea
mwg

21st Mar 12 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What BarnshaW said. Do you not like them runny? Dunk soldiers in them
pow
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC she puts a pinch of salt in as well. I don't really know cos I'd rather pull my toenails out than look at them!
Dom

21st Mar 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
heat up water to boiling point and put egg in for 3 mins?

This, although have a look at Heston's 'How to Cook Like Heston' series where he did an episode about eggs (HERE) where he explains how he does boiled eggs.
Whittie

21st Mar 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Egg phobia Dave?

I do 5-6 eggs a day (scrambled) and still get it on my fingers, seriously annoys me!

Rich - I bring a small pan to the boil, with a tea spoon of salt, stick a large egg in for 5 mins, take it out, stick it in a pyrex jug with cold water in, wait 30 seconds and then peel it.

Salt isn't for taste, its so you can peel it easier, dunno how that works though.

[Edited on 21-03-2012 by Whittie]
sc0ott

21st Mar 12 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put them in for 7 mins and the yolk is just about to harden which is perfect.
Whittie

21st Mar 12 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3z2H1O5zE&feature=related

LMAO at the guy at the start on the cooker hob? Was he even aiming for the pan

Buy that Dave.
RichR
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually don't mind them completely uncooked and normally when I have this problem, I just crack them and poach the half cooked contents for 30seconds but I want boiled eggs tonight!!
pow
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just hate the taste and texture of an egg cooked.
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you keep your eggs in the fridge? I think most egg recipes assume your eggs are already at room temperature.

Whether you cook with an electric or gas hob probably also requires adjustments to the timing.

I put two room temperature medium eggs into a small pan of cold water from the tap (enough to cover the eggs) on a high heat for five minutes - this results in a firm white with slightly squidgy yolk every time.

I am also not keen on runny eggs or dry yolk.
Whittie

21st Mar 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate is allergic to eggs, literally acts hungover when he has some, its mental.

You don't realise what has egg in untill you go get a sandwich with him. (Mayo on everything!)
JonnyJ

21st Mar 12 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bring it to boil. Time 3 minutes. Done. Perfect everytime!
RichR
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eggs in cold water, bring it to the boil and then 3minutes from there or into alreayd boiling water for 3 minutes.

Good shout on room temperature, I do leave them in the fridge
Whittie

21st Mar 12 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boiling water > Add salt > Eggs for X mins > take out > put into cold water > clean pan / put away > peel > BOOM.
pow
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See I can eat mayo just fine
JonnyJ

21st Mar 12 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
eggs in cold water, bring it to the boil and then 3minutes from there or into alreayd boiling water for 3 minutes.

Good shout on room temperature, I do leave them in the fridge

In cold water. Only start timing when its boiling.

I've just made 6 a few minutes ago
Hammer

21st Mar 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water just over the top of the eggs, in cold from the fridge with a shake of salt. Bring to the boil, 4 minutes exactly from the first sign of bubbles. Perfect every time.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

21st Mar 12 at 16:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pan of water on the cooker from cold, let it warm up slightly then dump the eggs in, cook for 3 minutes and 30 seconds when the water starts to boil.

Once the time is up take the pan to the sink,empty hot water and fill it with cold water to cover the eggs. Remove eggs with hands/slotted spoon and enjoy.
JonnyJ

21st Mar 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Water just over the top of the eggs, in cold from the fridge with a shake of salt. Bring to the boil, 4 minutes exactly from the first sign of bubbles. Perfect every time.

Fucking typical, scottish eggs can handle another minute of boiling water can they? Harder than the english eggs are they? Honestly, bloody scots, always got to do it a bit different.
sc0ott

21st Mar 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell, so my 7 minutes from the boil is over the top? Ive done 6 minutes before and there was white goo'y shit between the yolk and white, which means its not properlly cooked, right?
JonnyJ

21st Mar 12 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fife eggs are the Navy Seals of the egg world Scott. They laugh at your puny 6 minutes.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » boiling eggs 22 database queries in 0.0216670 seconds