corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Problem next week - Regarding Race Car Transportation... Ideas needed.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Problem next week - Regarding Race Car Transportation... Ideas needed.
Paul_J

User status: Offline
21st Apr 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So here's the problem,

Me and Warren have a race at Donnington next weekend (Sunday) and no way of getting our race car to the track

- In the old days my dad and me hired a trailer, my dad would tow it with his car and we'd get to the track.
Last race Tony from here used his car transporter to take the car to Brands Hatch.

The problem is, my dad is on holiday, Tony doesn't want to transport the car to Donnington (too far) and I don't have towing a trailer on my license (or any idea of how to move it about when hitched on the car).

Anyone got any ideas?

Graham88

21st Apr 12 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not 'hire' the car transporter from Tony
noshua

21st Apr 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AA/RAC
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would Tony not lend you the transporter to drive yourself? Otherwise I'd be searching for somewhere to hire one from.
Nath

21st Apr 12 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
AA/RAC

It broke down and needs to go to Donnington, where it will probably break down again and need to come back.
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, you will be able to pull a trailer on your licence, it just depends if the combined weight of what your pulling is less than the weight of the pulling car and less than the pulling capacity of the pulling car.. Or something like that.

Jimmy used to tow the vx on a trailer using a bmw 1 series with no problems. He didnt have trailers on his licence
Nic Barnes

21st Apr 12 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not need a lisence to rent one though?
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That i dont know, jimmy had his own.
Ben J

21st Apr 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hire a flatbed?
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why cant you just drive the car up?

I assumee its got no tax/mot ? If not wouldnt it be cheaper to get either (or both) than hiring a something?
Mike
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most hire companies usually state in terms and conditions that it's upto the hirer to make sure they have the appropriate license categories. You do have to show your license but I think that's more for ID purposes and checking you do hold a license.

Do you know the weight of the race car? If you let us know that and assuming you can use your Dad's car to tow, let us know what that is, I can try and let you know if there's a trailer that would suit.
Ben J

21st Apr 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if they break it?

Can't commit 100% on track knowing you've got to drive it home.
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea you can, you've just got to have the ability to not give a fuck lol

Tbh i think hiring the trailer and driving it up will be fine.

[Edited on 21-04-2012 by chris_uk]
Mike
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to think I had that mentality when I was tracking my old Corsa which was also my daily, it's only since I got the new one that I've realised I was still being pretty reserved even when I thought I was giving it loads Having alternative transport home makes a massive difference

[Edited on 21-04-2012 by Mike]
Paul_J

21st Apr 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just spoke to Warren on the phone.

Current options are:
1 - I found out one of the team support companies going to our series do Car transportation to and from the circuit for about £80 +
- So this is my favorite option at the moment.

- Next, Warren says his dad has a Vectra estate with a tow hook and his dad has a tow license, so could if Warren asked nicely potentially tow the car (If they can find somewhere locally to hire from).

Warren did mentioned mot'ing / taxing the car, but it's pretty un road legal at the moment - e.g. no cat / worn tyres / etc and even if you could drive it on the road, it would be risky coming back with worn / bald front tyres after an hour long race
corsadonk
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This would do the job.

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/
Graham88

21st Apr 12 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I definetly wouldn't be driving it up, all it takes is one problem and you're stuck up there
Mertin

21st Apr 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not got any mates with a towing licence and then you could hire a trailer or borrow one from somewhere?
Think you need to invest in a towing licence and a trailer lol
Mike
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For 80 quid that's a no brainer for me. It's gonna cost you at least 50 to hire a trailer for a couple of days, plus Warren's dad having to take a day out, collect and return the trailer etc.
Paul_J

21st Apr 12 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it says 'From £80' ... so may be £80 to brands and a lot more to Donnington, but we'll see.
Paul_J

21st Apr 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
This would do the job.

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/

Jesus that is ideal, however the location of their depots arent. I may do a google for these.
Graham88

21st Apr 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta be more in juice to Donington! Might be worth into getting a car transporter of your own to save these problems
Paul_J

21st Apr 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no where to put a car transporter or trailer graham.

Usual deal is I hire a trailer for the weekend at £80 + vat... then whatever fuel to take it there and back. The trailer company said they'd do a discount as I'm a frequent user - next time.

Graham88

21st Apr 12 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All adds to the expense!
Mike
Premium Member

21st Apr 12 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, if you're hiring regularly enough then it could work out cheaper buying and paying to store it, I'd definitely recommend doing your trailer test and sorting out use of a tow car if you can, just so you don't end up in this situation again.

[Edited on 21-04-2012 by Mike]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Problem next week - Regarding Race Car Transportation... Ideas needed. 22 database queries in 0.0152731 seconds