corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » work - asking for more money with an offer on the table

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author work - asking for more money with an offer on the table
AK

User status: Offline
24th Apr 12 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you broach this subject with your bosses?

In the past its come about once I've handed in my notice.... and they try to keep me there.

BUT i've received an offer from another company that is about 6k more a year, better bonus and better pension - same perks (expenses, compant credit card, blackberry, laptop etc). I'm not really unhappy where I am just a bit stagnent/tired.

So... if they were to better the package I'd happily stay put for now - if not, 4 weeks notice.

I dont work in the office so.....

1) Call them up and just be to the point.
2) email them with my issues, possible solutions and wage expectations?
3) wait for a written offer and hand in my notice and see what they come back with.
James

24th Apr 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done this, but it's common practise in my industry so all I did was hand my notice in, knowing full well they would come back with an offer.

Just called my boss into a meeting room, told him I've had a better offer and I'm giving him 4 weeks notice. He asked how much it would take to make me stay and we took it from there.

I accepted the counter offer but I ended up actually leaving 6 months later

Based on your post - I did option 3. Bit difficult if you aren't in the office though.

[Edited on 24-04-2012 by James]
AK

24th Apr 12 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm off down to Edinburgh to meet with the other company in a week or so, so could pop into the office after that.... with the offer and my notice.
James

24th Apr 12 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think face to face is better, plus it would look good if you had made the extra effort to go in to do it face to face.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do that
James

24th Apr 12 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way - doing it the way I did it (point 3 in your post) is risky, there's a chance they will say see you later, so you need to make sure the offer you have is one that you are prepared to proceed with if that does happen.
James

24th Apr 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You work in oil and gas don't you?

I would imagine you could get more than a £6k rise if you looked around couldn't you? Most people I know that have moved jobs have aimed for about a £10k+ rise.

The only reason I ask is that you can only use your counter offer card once at each company, so you might want to see if you can get more money?
emicen

24th Apr 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam, is it Angola you get dispatched to fairly regularly?

Need to get some experiences/opinions on Nigeria.
cpcrampton

24th Apr 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK. Out of interest who do you work for, and what is your role?
I work for Halliburton and they just blew an offer out the water I received from schlum last month. All be it I'm in a pretty niche market. A company especially in oil and gas will always be willing to counter offer rather than recruite some one to replace you. Imagine the cost to them hiring someone.
AK

24th Apr 12 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Malcolm - I've been over to Angola a few times and in Nigerian waters once. Its not as bad as you think (or others make you think). It isnt great and folk will try to rip you off but if you're with a decent company that uses good agents its pretty plain sailing.

James - yes, but I cant really look around as such. There are only 2 companies really doing what I do and allowing me to live where I live. If i changed roles slightly I could earn more but wouldnt be good for my current situation. New house, need steady income rather than fits/burts of contractor day rates for the next year or 2.

The 6k above offer was their initial over the phone ball-park salary. I said this wasnt enough and they didnt scoff so there is scope for that to be ++++ when I go in for a meeting.

Its a company I worked for for 5years... 6 years ago

fred7

24th Apr 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your happy enough where you are best ask face to face but as i learnt not always as good on the other side plus for an extra £500 a month might b a big risk
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i once read that by doing the whole quit to get a rise plan, you'll only end up leaving soon anyway and they may well resent you for holding them ransom

I understand more money is more money but 6k? doesnt sound like alot in the grand scheme of things

In regards to contacting your boss/company, I'd do it by phone, emails can come across in ways you didnt want them to.
Gaz

24th Apr 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would suggest a face to face once you have written confirmation of the other job. the most important thing is to leave a good impression with the current employer regardless if you leave or not as you never know if you need to go back begging one day.

Best of luck either way
AK

24th Apr 12 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6k a year rise... £500 a month.... no big deal???
emicen

24th Apr 12 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Malcolm - I've been over to Angola a few times and in Nigerian waters once. Its not as bad as you think (or others make you think). It isnt great and folk will try to rip you off but if you're with a decent company that uses good agents its pretty plain sailing.

That's kinda the conclusion I've been coming to. I wouldn't be offshore though.
Graham88

25th Apr 12 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't turn down 6k a year not really sure what's 'big in the grand scheme of things'?
fred7

25th Apr 12 at 04:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is alot of money i would love 6k extra a year but if your happy where u are is it worth it
Bart

25th Apr 12 at 06:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would drop your boss an email, just to ask if you can have 2 minutes of his time (dont mention why) and just ask when would best to stop by the office?
taylorboosh

25th Apr 12 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do anything untill you speak with the other company
Fro

25th Apr 12 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I wouldn't turn down 6k a year not really sure what's 'big in the grand scheme of things'?

I imagine he means that based on what he is earning now 6k wouldn't make a massive difference.
AndyKent

25th Apr 12 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fro
quote:
Originally posted by Graham88

I imagine he means that based on what he is earning now 6k wouldn't make a massive difference.

I see where he's coming from. £300 after tax always makes things easier though.
AK

25th Apr 12 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its would make 6k of difference...

Thats a few sets of tyres, brakes or a kitchen for the new house etc.

1k more a year is still MORE!
Bart

25th Apr 12 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
its would make 6k of difference...

Thats a few sets of tyres, brakes or a kitchen for the new house etc.

1k more a year is still MORE!

thats not £6k in the pocket by a long shot, and judging by the comments made on here, he's very likely to be within the 40% super tax bracket, £300 as Andy mentions.
James

25th Apr 12 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is, taking a new job is always a risk. So I always look at the increase in salary and benefits as a way of compensating you for taking that risk. If you were unhappy where you were for example, £6k and the opportunity to get out would be great. But if you don't mind it where you are and just want more cash, I'd be inclined to look for more.
Phillips_91

25th Apr 12 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

christ 6k is almost my annual income atm! :O

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » work - asking for more money with an offer on the table 22 database queries in 0.3272872 seconds