corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power steering vs non pas

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power steering vs non pas
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th May 12 at 06:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would like peoples feedback please, from a track perspective if possible, the pros and cons of each

i have won a brand new non pas rack off ebay for 12.50 so a bit of a bargain there, however im not convinced yet about fitting it

iv always thought that iv had better feedback from my cars that have had non pas, however the pas steering in the puma isnt bad, a decent weight and some could argue you can turn in better with it, correct etc etc

theres obviously a massive weight loss to be had ditching the pas and i like the idea of less technically to go wrong, eg when tony had his pas pipes burst on the ring. Theres also an issue on mine where some of the metal parts of the pas lines are rotten and wont last much longer

if people have tried this conversion before and have a strong opinion that its a bad move then i may not bother doing it, or may try and it and can always go back

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Steve]
Ben J

16th May 12 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only ever driven 2 non PAS cars. The first, gave me the shock of my life!! Wasn't mine thank god.

The 2nd was the Birkin but that felt quite light.

Can't see it being a big issue on a track car.

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Ben J]
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 07:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

due to the weight of the puma <850kgs i think it will be fairly light still especially on the move
Ben J

16th May 12 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. The Birkin steering feels light, like its got PAS tbh but it only weighs 550kg.

Your Puma should be fine. You won't notice on track and as you say should get more feedback.

How often are you going to be doing tight manouvres in car parks etc in the Puma? Hardly ever? No brainer to me.

Might be worth sounding out another Puma owner who has removed it though?

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Ben J]
Fro

16th May 12 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove my xe corsa without pas on a pas rack for a while after melting a hose, preferred it feedback/feel wise tbh.
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 07:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont think theres anyone that has really done on pumas, only ever heard 1 person say theyve done it, most of them are gay and either weigh there cars on asda scales, or spend there entire life wondering what matts and mudflaps to fit

fro: heard pas racks used as non are heavy as fuck lol, appreciate the opinion though

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Steve]
Nic Barnes

16th May 12 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prefer without to drive but around town and parking I wish I'd kept pas.
Ben J

16th May 12 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah a pas rack used as non will be heavier than a non pas rack.
mattant

16th May 12 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought non-pas was more fun, but then I'm comparing it to EPAS in a Corsa which isn't exactly good
Nic Barnes

16th May 12 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a quick rack for your track car tbh. Don't need pas as you won't be using it much on roads and in town etc like I do with corsa I'd guess.
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 14:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

epas in the corsa c is dreadful indeed
Ian
Site Administrator

16th May 12 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manual rack will probably be longer.

That's why the EPS one is good for a Corsa - it's quicker than manual but you can fire off the assistance if you're Mike.
big eck

16th May 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
dont think theres anyone that has really done on pumas, only ever heard 1 person say theyve done it, most of them are gay and either weigh there cars on asda scales, or spend there entire life wondering what matts and mudflaps to fit

fro: heard pas racks used as non are heavy as fuck lol, appreciate the opinion though

Its seriously heavy I drove my old GSi like that for 2 years. Looking back I never know how I managed it for so long. Turn your car off and try turn the wheel without the PAS on, now imagine the steering being that heavy for 2 years
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they arent meant to be so bad if you disconnect them then loop the oil pipes so it just feeds from one side to the other

still not for me being that heavy lol
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon that twirp in that clio with the driving gloves had only disconnected his pas rack
Graham88

16th May 12 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the car IMO. I get plenty of feeling through the steering on my M3, and I did on the MPS too, but if weight is a factor and it's a pure track car, then I'd probably lose it. You aren't really going to be doing any tight manouevres into Asda car park so it won't be too much of a problem
gazza808

16th May 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible to just remove the ram and fittings etc? Like on 106's?

I've just finished converting my 106 from pas to my non-pas quick rack, have even had tracking done and love it.
LeeM

16th May 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like power steering, my vts with it was definiately better than my mates with a manual rack.
if the feel is good then keep it, if youre getting rid get a quickrack!
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

came to a decision to swap it over, but leave all the pipes in place for a bit to see if i like it or not, easy route back if not then
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Manual rack will probably be longer.

That's why the EPS one is good for a Corsa - it's quicker than manual but you can fire off the assistance if you're Mike.

For a track car I see more use in knowing better what you're wheels are doing rather than them being easier to turn. As has been said though, it's a Puma, I'm guessing on 195 tyres, the steering's not going to be particularly heavy anyway.
scottyp1989

16th May 12 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
they arent meant to be so bad if you disconnect them then loop the oil pipes so it just feeds from one side to the other

still not for me being that heavy lol

Just try your rack first with out the pipes connected, it wont be as bad if your not trying to fight against the fluid, if you feel its ok stick the manual rack on.
Gary
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pas or non pas quick rack.

If not, have fun at hairpins!
harrisp

16th May 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think a lot of people get confused between steering feel and heavy steering.
LeeM

16th May 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
I think a lot of people get confused between steering feel and heavy steering.

this. no pas = heavy = steering feel
Corsa_Sport21

16th May 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave it in, do some trackdays 1st.

You might like it with PAS and get a feel for it. Or you might remove it and then start to wonder what it would have been like with it. Might be better with it.

Ok.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power steering vs non pas 22 database queries in 0.0171070 seconds