corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Gaining planning permission retrospectively

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gaining planning permission retrospectively
stuartmitchell

User status: Offline
27th Jul 12 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know about planning permission in Scotland?

We built some decking in May of this year and because of the slope of the back garden at it’s highest the deck is 0.8m above the ground.

In February of this year building control brought in new legislation to say that for decking over 0.5m you had to obtain planning permission.

We planned the decking in November 2011 and never thought to check it again.

Now the neighbour next to us is kicking off and contacting the council as we can see over the Fence that separates the two properties when we stand on the decking. (This is a fence we built and paid for btw – there was NOTHING there previously)

So, if the council bother over 30cm can I apply for planning permission retrospectively?

Or if the worst comes to the absolute worst can I just lower it by 30cm?

If they make me take the whole deck down I told her I’m taking the fence down too and if she is that bothered about her privacy she can pay for a new one

Any help would be grand
sc0ott

27th Jul 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to complete the householder application form which can be downloaded from the eplanning scotland website regardless of the decking height.

Is your house bought?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can it be dropped 30cm at worst case?

Have you been in a few years? If so just say its been down since then!

My patio is in line with house but garden drops off so I can see over fence into next door but if I were to build a straight fence high enough at house the bottom would be huge!

Send them a dog shit in post useless bastards!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
stuartmitchell

27th Jul 12 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scot, thanks for the link pal! Will have a look just now. The house is bought. Funny thing is we plan to move in 18 months so may just drag my heels till then and leave the neighbour to look at my deck lol!

Daniel. I Reckon I could drop it 30cm if the worst came to the worst (which would really piss her off lol!)
stuartmitchell

27th Jul 12 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have been in the house since November 2010 btw.
sc0ott

27th Jul 12 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell your neighbour youre taking the fence down since you paid for it. She cant do anything about that.

Then make your householder application. If your gardens are open to each other decking isnt going to do anything to her privacy.
stuartmitchell

27th Jul 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is a cracking idea pal! I hadn't thought about going down that route lol! Cant wait to chap on her door and deliver that one lol!
Toby
Premium Member

27th Jul 12 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Tell your neighbour youre taking the fence down since you paid for it. She cant do anything about that.

Then make your householder application. If your gardens are open to each other decking isnt going to do anything to her privacy.

This just to wind her up. However her lack of privacy will not stop a planning application being required and i would imagine it would also mean she has a stonger case to object once submitted.
Rob_Quads

27th Jul 12 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree it would probably piss them off but doubt it would give them a stronger case. If there is nothing between the two gardens, and the deck only gives a different view into the garden then it should be OK. If it gives you the ability to look into their house etc then its a different matter (and removing the fence could work against you.
John

27th Jul 12 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd fill the bottom bit in with 30cm of rubble.
Ben G

29th Jul 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'd fill the bottom bit in with 30cm of rubble.

this.

if they say anything, ''it was like that when we moved in''.
mwg

29th Jul 12 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep deckings always been there
stuartmitchell

30th Jul 12 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply guys. Raising the existing Garden 30cm may be an option. Just raise it and re-turf? Maybe incorporate some steps or something?

Spoke to a builder on Sunday. He says that if the Council send us a letter. We are just to reply to say were working on lowering it - then not bother

Apparently the cooncil never chase this sort of stuff up as it's not worth there time.

In the meantime I've put some massive plants on the upper level and going to ducktape a few meerkats the fence just peeking over to really noise her up
John

30th Jul 12 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't even turf it, just fill it in, they won't be digging down to see how deep it is.
stuartmitchell

30th Jul 12 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats true mate! Looking forward to round 2 with the daft bint
stuartmitchell

29th Aug 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wee update

The daft bint has lodged an Enforcement Order with the Council for what she is calling an Unathorised Operational Development. Was submitted on the 1st August and it's still under consideration apparently!

So if the council do follow this up (unlikely) and ask me to modify it or take it down (unlikely) then the plan of action is as follows:

1) Respond to the council say were taking appropriate steps to make our decking "legal"

2) Not bother doing anything

3) Wait for her to kick off again and tell the council

4) Get another letter from the council

5) Advise were waiting on the joiner coming out

6) Do nothing again By which point i'm informed we'll roughly be 2 years down the line after all this

7) Move house as we were planning on doing in 2 years anyway

Going to wind her right up
M2RTY

29th Aug 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drag your feet, they wont have the staff to follow up on these in a years tome due to more cuts etc lol. Buy yeah just put 35cm gravel down and theres nothing they can do
stuartmitchell

29th Aug 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a new lawn put in mate thats raised it a bit but yeah just going to drag my feet until it's time to move.

I think she's signed off her work with depression now so this may push her over the edge
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Aug 12 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell

I think she's signed off her work with depression now so this may push her over the edge

You evil bastard
sc0ott

29th Aug 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can apply for a certificate of lawfullness (existing use) as well.

Here is an example which will be similar to yours. You can view the drawings which were submitted and approved. I recon youll need to apply for permission once the council start to get pissed off by your neighbours complaints. You doing nothing may make it worse.

http://publicaccess.argyll-bute.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=JPCAXGCH09Q00
stuartmitchell

30th Aug 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that mate. To get a Certificate of lawfullness I assume that my bitch neighbour doesnt get a say in whether that is granted or not? It would simply be an agreement between the coooncil and I?
stuartmitchell

30th Aug 12 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:

You evil bastard

She is the scum of the earth mate
sc0ott

30th Aug 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for that mate. To get a Certificate of lawfullness I assume that my bitch neighbour doesnt get a say in whether that is granted or not? It would simply be an agreement between the coooncil and I?

Aye, basically the council will decide if you need to make a formal planning application or not.

Im sure they will send out neighbour notifications of some sort but it will be the planners decision. I doubt a bit of decking will fail to meet their guidlines.

Got any pics of the garden?
stuartmitchell

30th Aug 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

perfect. thanks for that mate. will have a look at that tonight. i've got pics on my phone I can upload to fb then onto here. Just never got round to it
whitter45

30th Aug 12 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just be careful with the neighbour situation as if you piss her right off and you plan on moving she could be the neighbour from hell when you plan to sell for any prospective buyers

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll