corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Should I do a masters degree?

Poll: Should I do a masters degree?
Yes 3 (50%)
No 3 (50%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Should I do a masters degree?
Ricky352

User status: Offline
10th Aug 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm due to graduate in September with a Business Management degree and have been unable to find work since so have been considering a full time masters degree. I am working part time, but I'm broke as a joke and would have to continue living with parents if I was doing the masters for another year at least.

Personally I think the masters would be a good idea, but if I can secure a job in the next few weeks I'll probably just go into full time employment.

Opinions?

EDIT: Forgot to say, its a masters in Business Communication.

[Edited on 10-08-2012 by Ricky352]
Tom G

10th Aug 12 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might aswell buddy.

Not any Graduate schemes catch your interest?
James

10th Aug 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on what you want a career in. Some careers will benefit from a masters more than others. For management careers you would probably be better getting on a graduate scheme for a few years and then do an MBA.
James

10th Aug 12 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, business communication sounds a bit of a wooly masters degree. What does that entail and what opportunities will it open up?

[Edited on 10-08-2012 by James]
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any graduate schemes I can find are closed for this year, I was a bit slow of the mark tbh.

I know people who have moved to England etc for work but don't think I could leave NI, which is restricting me in choice.

I would like to end up doing some sort of marketing or sales role.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Also, business communication sounds a bit of a wooly masters degree. What does that entail and what opportunities will it open up?

Its basically how to communicate effectively with businesses, how to motivate people, how to conduct interviews, meetings, presentations etc

I will get the opportunity to get some real experience in doing it also. I think it would just enhance what I already have tbh whilst giving me practical experience on my CV.

ryzer

10th Aug 12 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds a bit crap to me. I wouldn't bother, I had to do a shit admin Job for 2 years before getting my current management position, I want to do my masters at some point but while I work.
noshua

10th Aug 12 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As someone already mentioned, depends if you'll get something better out of it at the end - money wise as well. You don't want to have to fork out another 3 grand (or will you have to pay the 9 now?) to end up in a graduate job with other graduates on the same wage, yet your loan will be almost twice as much.

I start a job as a graduate in a few weeks along with 4 others, 3 of them have masters and the other lad has a BSc like me - all start on the same wage and doing the same job.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
Sounds a bit crap to me. I wouldn't bother, I had to do a shit admin Job for 2 years before getting my current management position, I want to do my masters at some point but while I work.

Fair enough, yeah I had an admin job for about 2 years before going back to education. My dad has suggested that I do it part time, but would take three years, and I'm worried if I did that I could still be stuck in a part time job for ages so could have done it full time anyway.

Have applied for some admin jobs and haven't heard a thing, which is strange because of my experience etc
James

10th Aug 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No offence but that masters doesn't sound very good.

If you feel that a masters of any kind will enhance your career then go for it, but I'd look for a better masters than that one.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
As someone already mentioned, depends if you'll get something better out of it at the end - money wise as well. You don't want to have to fork out another 3 grand (or will you have to pay the 9 now?) to end up in a graduate job with other graduates on the same wage, yet your loan will be almost twice as much.

I start a job as a graduate in a few weeks along with 4 others, 3 of them have masters and the other lad has a BSc like me - all start on the same wage and doing the same job.

Didn't want to say how much it was costing at the start because I didn't want to sway peoples opinion, but its only £400! This is due to the fact it concentrates on the agriculture industry which is receiving large grants at the minute.

Thats a fair point, not actually sure if it would give me greater earnings, but it would give me the edge over other applicants. I know people with the same qualification who are stuck in dead end jobs, the job market seems very competitive over here and just thought it would give me more chance of getting onto a graduate scheme etc

Oh and congrats on the job!

James

10th Aug 12 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grants or not, £400 suggests it will be even worse than it sounds.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No offence but that masters doesn't sound very good.

If you feel that a masters of any kind will enhance your career then go for it, but I'd look for a better masters than that one.

The main reasons I was thinking of this one in particular is because it is a more in depth verson of what I've been doing and the price. No offence taken, cheers for your opinion
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Grants or not, £400 suggests it will be even worse than it sounds.

lol why do yout think that? It is a more expensive course, but I would only have to pay £400 registration fee with Queens.
James

10th Aug 12 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It just sounds like the sort of topics that could be covered in a 2 week leadership course.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah fair enough, understand what you mean.
James

10th Aug 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this it?

http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens//CourseFinder/PCF/PTCF/?p_id=1248&sn=1112&subjects=1575#degreeinfo

If it is, it sounds incredibly niche, that could result in it closing more doors than it opens. Unless you are set on a career in a "rural business"?
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that too and asked that on the open day, but they assured me all of the skills would be transferrable to any industry. I get the choice half way through to either concentrate on strategic management (which I would choose) or training and development.
James

10th Aug 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is, the skills are most likely transferable, but if I saw a CV of someone with a masters degree with "for Rural Business" in the title and the job wasn't in a rural business, I would be put off.

Having said that, £400 is a bargain for a masters.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats a fair point James. Although hopefully the rural sector will be growing in the near future, but as you say could be a bad idea to limit myself.

Anyone else I've asked has just been like, 'yeah go for it,' etc, cheers for being more indepth than that James lol

It is a bargain, I'd be kicking myself if this time next year I was still in the same part time job without the masters behind me. I kniw plenty of people who graduated a year or 2 ago and have got nowhere.
John

10th Aug 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they all have business degrees?
James

10th Aug 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are 100% sure that the rural sector is an area that interests you and will be of interest to you for the foreseeable future then that masters is probably a good shout, that should get you a foot in the door to get real experience and then you could always change sectors a few years down the line.
Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At least one of them does, not actually sure what the rest did their degrees in.
James

10th Aug 12 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If nothing else, it will allow you to apply for next year's round of graduate schemes.

Ricky352

10th Aug 12 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you are 100% sure that the rural sector is an area that interests you and will be of interest to you for the foreseeable future then that masters is probably a good shout, that should get you a foot in the door to get real experience and then you could always change sectors a few years down the line.

Yeah this is what I've been thinking, and to be honest the rural sector does appeal to me. And yeah, hopefully build up some contacts along the way and a bit of real experience.

Still applying for jobs in the mean time, and if I do get one I'll probably go for it, but its looking unlikely at the minute.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Should I do a masters degree? 24 database queries in 0.0127640 seconds