corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dell warranty / just outside of it and laptop dead.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dell warranty / just outside of it and laptop dead.
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Aug 12 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a dell inspiron m5010 laptop which is 3 months out of warranty.

Come home after a trip to shops and it won't switch on. Beeps 7 times. Google says motherboard/processor failure.

Where do I stand? Surely a £400 laptop internals should last more than 15 months?

Have I got any hope of getting it fixed just out of warranty etc?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dom

24th Aug 12 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps try the SOGA Reasonable Length of Time with retailer and/or warranty provider (i suspect Dell) and where that gets you.
Worth also contacting citizens advice and seeing what they say.

And if you're able to (without damaging the laptop or any warranty void sticker), i would try and get the drive out and backup/remove any personal data.
Dan
Premium Member

24th Aug 12 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to strip complete laptop to get hard drive out. Which I've already done tonight. There was no warranty stickers anywhere.

When I looked at the CPU it looks like loads of glue with gaps around it all bubbled kinda thing. I took a pic I'll try upload in a mo. probably the problem?

How do I backup my hard drive?

dannymccann

24th Aug 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glue on the CPU sounds strange, I assume they use thermal paste on the CPU's in laptops just like we do in desktops?
John

24th Aug 12 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dell are normally good with that but 3 months is probably too far outside.

Dell are happy for you to strip it all down, won't void any warranty doing that. Thermal paste normally looks kind of bubbled so wouldn't think it would be that.
Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Appears from more searching it's common. There's a 15 page thread about it on the similar m5030 model, a dell rep on the board has sorted the problem for lots of people outside of warranty. Just a waiting game for him to process it.

We can only hope he comes up with something this week. If not I'll go direct to tesco and do an out of warranty claim. Which Alot of people are also saying have sorted this issue.

Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does that look normal?

[Edited on 25-08-2012 by Dan]

Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can guarantee you Dell won't touch it, unless you pay
Steve
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 11:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes that's normal
Dom

25th Aug 12 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why did you remove the heatsink?
Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to be snouty and have a look :/

For the sake of three screws I thought I'd have a gander.

It seems dell have fixed Alot of these for this problem outside of warranty. Via the community forums on the dell site.

Two chances, and if it doesn't workout I can always try tesco, they too seem to be fixing Alot for this issue outside of warranty

Dom

25th Aug 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Just to be snouty and have a look :/

I would have left it alone, last thing you want is anymore reason for Dell or the retailer not to fix it.

Either way, let us know how you get on when you contact Dell/retailer
Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What difference would it make? I googled about it and everyone says leave it alone due to thermal paste?

I didn't see any on it?

jamesw

25th Aug 12 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thermal paste is the grey stuff in the pic. Ideally now you have removed the heatsink the old stuff should be removed and some new applied before replacing heatsink.

[Edited on 25-08-2012 by jamesw]
Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The paste was only on the underside of the chip though? I dunno hopefully I ain't made things worse for myself lol

Dom

25th Aug 12 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
The paste was only on the underside of the chip though? I dunno hopefully I ain't made things worse for myself lol

No the grey grunk is the thermal paste, below that is the CPU sitting in a socket on the motherboard. What you took off would have been the heatsink.
Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You lost me lol. I assume the chip is shiny piece in middle? That has paste under it? Then the heatsink sat on top with nothing between them :/

Dom

25th Aug 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
You lost me lol. I assume the chip is shiny piece in middle? That has paste under it? Then the heatsink sat on top with nothing between them :/

The picture you posted shows a CPU (the whole dark green bit) sitting in a socket (white/cream bit on the motherboard) with thermal paste (grey gunk) in the centre of the CPU.
And what you took off is the heatsink.
Dan
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea. I was more interested in the bit about thermal paste between heat sink and the CPU? Cause there wasn't I don't think :/

John

25th Aug 12 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is, it's in the picture.
Sam
Premium Member

25th Aug 12 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a quick Google on this as I was curious. The Internet experts have proposed the faults as:

- bad CPU
- bad battery/CMOS battery
- bad 'connection' between the power button and the motherboard

I would definitely go down the route of getting it fixed/replaced for free as 15 months from new for a laptop before it dies is not acceptable by anyone's standards.
John

25th Aug 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be pissed off but if I hadn't taken out an extended warranty I wouldn't expect anything. Laptops can get bashed about a lot and can also just fail.

Dell are normally helpful within reason. I've also had loads of stuff replaced well out of warranty if it's a known issue.
Dan
Premium Member

26th Aug 12 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not even really that pissed off. Shit happens and all that. But if it's possible to get it fixed for free ill be over the moon.

I don't have portfolio status and can't really afford a replacement at the mo.

I'll be more pissed off if. Can't get all the photos etc off the hdd

Dan
Premium Member

26th Aug 12 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 500gb external hard drive. What do I need to buy for the hdd from this dell m5010?

How do I then basically clone it do I have a backup of all my stuff?

andy_mk3

26th Aug 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be a Sata drive which you can plug into a desktop computer if you have access to one. If not then search for Sata to usb, or 2.5" Sata hard drive caddy

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll