corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » CS Help required- tyre recommendations- decision made

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CS Help required- tyre recommendations- decision made
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 12 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning guys

Had my first session out on Silverstone @ Trax yesterday and learned quite a bit

coilovers were workig well, turn in was great, however the firestones i had on the front as a last resort were shocking for grip

did have continentals on the front but were worn so had to swap em to the back for the firestones (these tyres i got as freebies and had loads of tread so had no choice)

managed to get some money i was owed so on the lookout for some new rubber and trying to get them ordered and on before combe this saturday

car is used for both track and road use, so need to find something that is good to drive to and from circuits but also good on track at the same time (i know might be asking a bit much)

so good people of CS, i need to get some recommendations, experiences, opinions and also if anyone knows of good deals going around (do you get better discount if you buy sets of 4 etc) need to make a decision by the end of the day i can get em ordered and fitted

cheers

[Edited on 06-09-2012 by SteveoBC]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 11:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many road miles are you doing? go for semi slicks
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
how many road miles are you doing? go for semi slicks

well there is the fact i do take it out for the odd weekend blast for 3 hours,

thinking of semi slicks but dont wanna be caught out but a downpour and find myself nose first in a ditch lol

best semi slicks to be looking at?

[Edited on 03-09-2012 by SteveoBC]
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what i gather ad08s are a perfect go between between proper semi slicks and road tyres
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a daily road car i wouldnt wear semi slicks on it for day to day use, if you literally, LITERALLY, just use it to take to tracks and the occasional weekend blast then semi slicks would be ok

[Edited on 03-09-2012 by Steve]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
if its a daily road car i wouldnt wear semi slicks on it for day to day use, if you literally, LITERALLY, just use it to take to tracks and the occasional weekend blast then semi slicks would be ok

[Edited on 03-09-2012 by Steve]

hmm might be an option

as i say its not my daily driver (have a company car for that, this is purely a toy)

i tend not to take it out when its raining if i can anyway, still undecided wether to get an all rounder tyre or go semi slick
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
from what i gather ad08s are a perfect go between between proper semi slicks and road tyres

just did a quick search and yoko ad08's are getting good reviews and seem to be what im looking for

any other suggestions??
Edges 58

3rd Sep 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T1r's worked really well on my corsa as a daily Steve. Not too expensive either
P1CK4D

3rd Sep 12 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hankook V12 Evo's
tom130691
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edges 58
T1r's worked really well on my corsa as a daily Steve. Not too expensive either
antnee

3rd Sep 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at the Federal 595 RSR and the Yokohama AD08, both are the 'new style' of road legal semi slick designed which more water clearance to pass EU tests and have 7mm tread.

T1R, Hancook V12 etc are still road tyres which won't stand up to much track abuse.
Edges 58

3rd Sep 12 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Look at the Federal 595 RSR and the Yokohama AD08, both are the 'new style' of road legal semi slick designed which more water clearance to pass EU tests and have 7mm tread

Where's cheapest place to get these then?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Look at the Federal 595 RSR and the Yokohama AD08, both are the 'new style' of road legal semi slick designed which more water clearance to pass EU tests and have 7mm tread.

T1R, Hancook V12 etc are still road tyres which won't stand up to much track abuse.

heard the t1r's dont last long on track aswell

YokoAD08's are the front runners at the minute

still need ideas on possible semi slicks
Edges 58

3rd Sep 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

888 is the best semi slicks from what I've read
Mieran

3rd Sep 12 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toyo R1R

Federal 595 RSR

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 is a good road tyre too but the above too are more performance/track orientated
antnee

3rd Sep 12 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Camskill is generally the cheapest place, or look on ebay for demon tweeks.

There are 2 types of semi slick, the traditional ones such as the Toyo R888, Yoko A048, Federal FZ201, Dunlop DZ03 then the ones to pass the new EU regs such as the Federal 595 RSR, Yoko AD08 and the Toyo R1R is somewhere inbetween.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked at the AD08's when i bought the r888's but they just appeard to be very good road tyres i dunno if id call them semi slicks
antnee

3rd Sep 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Feds have similar amounts of grip to the R888
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm just seen the deal on the toyo proxes in barnes thread next door

might just get a set of these but not sure as i like the look of the Yokohama A048R's

but for that price would be silly not to buy the Toyo's

urgh decisions decisions

Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The Feds have similar amounts of grip to the R888

The 595s or the FZ-201s? The 201s are probably comparable to R888s.

Also the R888s I've experienced as a passenger and the FZ-201s on mine are far superior to any other tyre I've used in the wet. I've never experienced full on puddles with them but for normal wet driving they still reign supreme.

Don't get FZ-201s though, you will end up crashing on the roads because the temps will be too low.
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
hmmm just seen the deal on the toyo proxes in barnes thread next door

might just get a set of these but not sure as i like the look of the Yokohama A048R's

but for that price would be silly not to buy the Toyo's

urgh decisions decisions

Iv used the T1R's on track in the puma, they are ok, but there are better out there for road/track use. They arent as good as everyone in that thread is making them out to be.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dirt cheap though steve
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so are road hogs
smcGSI16V

3rd Sep 12 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve, coming from somebody who has had a corsa for the track and used it rarely on the road.

Don't bother with normal tyres at all.
Do get yourself some proper semi slicks preferably r888's or yoko A048's

Both provide adequate grip in the wet incase you get caught out and in fact grip better in the wet than some road tyres.

I ran the 888's on my corsa for a whole year come rain or shine doing track days and normal driving covering about 8000 miles and never had one issue at all.

It will be one of the best pounds for grip things you do to the car, will totally transform it and you will wish you had done it sooner.

[Edited on 03-09-2012 by smcGSI16V]

[Edited on 03-09-2012 by smcGSI16V]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

3rd Sep 12 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate

Just the kind of advice I needed, as you used yours exactly the same way I do, thinking the yoko's are still top of the wish list

Gonna start looking for the best price I can for em'

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » CS Help required- tyre recommendations- decision made 22 database queries in 0.0123289 seconds