corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Religion / Christening day!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Religion / Christening day!
Colin

User status: Offline
24th Oct 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mrs has told me she wants to get the nipper christened. Well, more her mum wants to, some shite to do with her having her wedding dress made into a christening gown plus they all like any excuse for a swally!

I'm not on board with this. I have no religious believes at all & think a child should 'come of age' before deciding themselves whether they believe that some delusional man in a gown with an imaginary friend who was bored and had a week off so done some landscaping is something they want to follow.

Ive suggested a welcome party for the new arrival instead which has not had a warm reception.

Should I dig my heels in on this or bite my lip, get wasted & let her mum have her day?
Whittie

24th Oct 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do it, won't cost much and get free shit of family / excuse to get drunk.
SetH

24th Oct 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin seriously we dont care we just want milky boobs and preggorz pics in the thread FFS
pow
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you dead against it or if it was up to you you just wouldn't bother?
BluKoo

24th Oct 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had no religious beliefs (which I don't) there's no way I would have my child being christened.
I don't believe in religion because I think it causes more problems than it solves. It's just for the fucking retarded.

I think a "welcome party" for the new arrival would be far better
Kerry

24th Oct 12 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find christenings hypocritical of people who never step foot in church!

If its a party they want then like you say have a baby naming one or something

It's like getting babies ears pierced or choosing for them to be vegetarian! It's choices they can make when they are older
Generation

24th Oct 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree. Child Gould be old enough to make thir own mid up.
I was christened, although I don't believe in god. Pointless
Colin

24th Oct 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just dont see the point & i'm not a hypocrite. I wouldn't enter a church for any reason if I could help it, including christenings, weddings and deaths. I just see no place for it in my life.

Following tradition just doesnt quite cut it for me. Load of bollox!
JonnyJ

24th Oct 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Urgh christenings. Just one of those things people do because they feel they have to as thier mates no doubt did it with thier kids.

I'd be inclined to dig in but your life will be so much easier if you just go along with it. Maybe show up dressed as Darwin or a Devil costume in protest
Colin

24th Oct 12 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
I find christenings hypocritical of people who never step foot in church!

If its a party they want then like you say have a baby naming one or something

It's like getting babies ears pierced or choosing for them to be vegetarian! It's choices they can make when they are older

Exactly!!!

Add to it there all avid followers of a certain Scottish football team and have already discussed getting a wee football top with her name on it & taking her to games etc I'm almost at a stage of dishing out the hairy side of my hand.
pow
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
I was christened, although I don't believe in god. Pointless

Same. but on the other hand it hasn't harmed me in any way shape or form.
AndyKent

24th Oct 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missus family all used to (don't much now) go to church and it looks like her brothers kids will all be christened.

Doesn't bother me, some of you make it sound like the child is immediately indoctrined.

If you don't go to church nor will the kid, so if it makes your other halfs family happy do it, despite not giving a shit either way

[Edited on 24-10-2012 by AndyKent]
BluKoo

24th Oct 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put your foot down Colin.
Kerry

24th Oct 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are people so happy to be sheep these days
AndyKent

24th Oct 12 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Explain sheep?

I'd have the kid christened if it made my/her family happy. Everyone has a nice day out, few pringles, church gets a few quid and some nice photos result.

Whats the issue?
AK

24th Oct 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both me and my brother were christened...

I dont mind it, doesnt affect me! Was handy when getting married in a Church. i didnt get treated like a scab, and told to go to church like Fee did.

My bro is/was a bit pissed off about and said to my parents he would have preffered not to have been.

Makes no odds either way if you dont believe. Isnt goign to turn the kid into a bible bashing Minister, isnt going to ruin your life.

Colin

24th Oct 12 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Explain sheep?

I'd have the kid christened if it made my/her family happy. Everyone has a nice day out, few pringles, church gets a few quid and some nice photos result.

Whats the issue?

If its a party they want just have a party!!!

God has no place in my life!
AndyKent

24th Oct 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does for her mother though.
Gary
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naming ceremony = pissup + no religion shite
Colin

24th Oct 12 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Both me and my brother were christened...

I dont mind it, doesnt affect me! Was handy when getting married in a Church. i didnt get treated like a scab, and told to go to church like Fee did.

My bro is/was a bit pissed off about and said to my parents he would have preffered not to have been.

Makes no odds either way if you dont believe. Isnt goign to turn the kid into a bible bashing Minister, isnt going to ruin your life.

Your right it may not do any harm, as its more a welcome to the church than a commitment, however, i'd prefer my siblings to grow up aware of all religion (& the damage it can do!) then make a uniformed decision on which if any they wish to follow. Whether that be Christian, science, atheist or al qaeda at least they decided themselves.

That goes for all walks of life, nothing should be forced upon a child in my opinion!
Kerry

24th Oct 12 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Explain sheep?

No initiative or independence
Just follow the crowd!
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My friend had both of his children christened, with myself as god parent for both.

My friend isn't religious, but his parents are. I'm not religious, but I'm still honored to be given the responsibility of god parenting on a non-religious basis.

Baptism isn't so much being thrust into a religion at birth, it's more to do with being "cleansed" and given a clean slate - there's nothing stopping a christened child from choosing their own path in the future.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Colin

24th Oct 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Does for her mother though.

Ive never seen her leave to attend church on a Sunday!

Closest thing she's ever got to communion is probably getting fingered behind the church the night before it!

I just dont do god, clearly neither does she. Why a christening
AK

24th Oct 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Explain sheep?

Whats the issue?

If its a party they want just have a party!!!

God has no place in my life!

but it does in hers or her parents life.

It means nothing to you, but seems to mean something to them.

Its easier to go along in this instance.. if 'the kid' wants to become a buddist at 15 there is nothing stopping him/her!

I dont go to church..... I'm not religous..... i just see it as membership to something that I dont use
Nath

24th Oct 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
My friend had both of his children christened, with myself as god parent for both.

My friend isn't religious, but his parents are. I'm not religious, but I'm still honored to be given the responsibility of god parenting on a non-religious basis.

Baptism isn't so much being thrust into a religion at birth, it's more to do with being "cleansed" and given a clean slate - there's nothing stopping a christened child from choosing their own path in the future.

Agree with this. I don't think it's any kind of big religious statement in reality. Just a thing people do for babies.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Religion / Christening day! 23 database queries in 0.0195251 seconds