corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wet weather C20xe cut out at speed help!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wet weather C20xe cut out at speed help!
sparcost3

User status: Offline
25th Nov 12 at 02:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi i have a corsa redtop. I've just been driving down a duelcarageway in very wet conditions and as I came to break for the rounderbout the engine died instantly and I coasted round the corner ( think I was still in gear) and it wouldn't start up again..

Now my 2 ideas are water in the intake- this could be very bad or possibly electrical short/ failure but I don't know
Need any advice I can get

The car wouldn't start again it tried to turn over but wouldn't fire up so I messed with starter wires as I've had trouble with it before where I've come to turn it on and solenoid stuck but this sounded diferent anyway I had a fiddle went to start again and nothing.. Totally dead not even solenoid click.. Yet the headlights, hazards and radio remain unchanged ? All as normal

I messed with starter again snd when i tried to turn over the motor made a humming noise like a shorting circuit noise.. starter seems to be being very tempramental

I had a 4th fiddle with the starter motor wires and it now went back t trying to turn over.. But won't start at this point I gave up got the car off the road and got a lift home as it was pitch black pissing down and cold..

So I ruled out alternator?? Or surely lights would be dipped before engine died and it would die slow not instant?

Now earlier in day I splashed through some water at very low speed and alternate belt squeaked a few times and battery light flickered on for few fractions of second a few times but was fine on drive home. So I doubt it's connected??

Could it be a short to cause this?? Could it be a damp ht/ spark plug??? Or is it likely to be somehow sucked water into intake and hydro lock?

I must have been doing at least 40-50 when it died?

Now my air intake is a cone so yes I realise it's more prone to water.. Although my intake is high up nowhere near the floor above drivers plastic wheel arch which are both present.. Could enough water go up into the intake just from a tiny bit of surface water a few mm deep?? I just don't know what to think :/

Any ideas or help on what I should do now? If worst case and waters gone in and the engines locked or died at such speed due to water would the conrod be definitely bent or fractured? Or valves? Or is it possible it could be ok and how much ( little amount) of water are we talking needs to get into the ignition chamber to damage it? Could the plugs be wet and not spark rather than desaster?

I'm seriously stressing out so any ideas would be great :/

See if it turns by hand I guess is the next step in the morning? :/

[Edited on 25-11-2012 by sparcost3]
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 05:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be a dodgy alternator or water has drowned your filter as this would totally bog down your engine

PS
Post in help zone i know you probably want a quick answer but use the forum correctly
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 05:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go back to it in daylight and if it has dried out i think it will start my white one had the same issue was just down to water getting into electrics, left it to dry out and started first time straight away
sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I hope so mate thanks for the advice yeah will do sorry about that, thought people would look gen rather than anywhere else 1st
Steve
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it a a diz cap engine?
sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it's late type xe so there's no rotor arm or dizzy to check, just been to the car put a new battery on its not firing up but turning ok?? The battery light is on when I turn the key? What could this be? A short somewhere a fuse? Towed the car home now so I can chech Leeds n plugs
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the ECU light coming on like normal or is it not lighting up at all?

Have you tried a new fuel pump relay? They die all the time and would give you similar symptoms. The dodgey starter motor wiring could just be something different.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
joeseth17

25th Nov 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a jump lead from your engine to earth side of the battery u might have a damaged connection or something and this will bypass it
sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The battery's in the boot mate, just tried the bleed nipple no fuel there, then got my dad to turnover at key there was still no fuel at bleed nipple and can hear no whirling from pump?? Going to go get a new fuel relay and try that but issue seems fuel related now??
Darryl H
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd almost put money on fuel pump relay then mate

sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Checked fuse 26 its ok I can hear/feel fuel relay going could it still be relay before I go to the ballache of removing fuel pump and testing it?
craig55

25th Nov 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could still be it if you are getting a spark as it controls both the realy will be clicking for ignition not for fuel
Darryl H
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you lift up the back seat and pull the plastic cap off and feel the pipes. You'll feel it pumping if it is

XE's only prime when cranking remember

[Edited on 25-11-2012 by Darryl H]

ryan docherty

25th Nov 12 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Water in fuel pump relay
sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i warmed the starter motor up with a hair dryer and tryed to start the car the car fired up!! hooray so no water dammage to the engine thank god!! but some smoke came off the battery terminals :s and the starter motor sounded not quite right

checked all the fuses and 18 and 26 had blown.. don't know what 18 is but 26 is fuel relay!

replaced the fuse went for a drive round town and down the slip road was compleatley fine full power then it died again exactly same symtoms as before.....

i then put a 30 fuse in instead of the 20 its suposed to be.. started fine drove another 400 yards fine and then it burnt through that 1 which is bad??

kind of ran out of ideas now? is it starter related or the relay :/

what does this mean?
Darryl H
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds as if there is a short somewhere. Obviously linked to one or both of them.

I wouldn't be upping the fuses as they are what they are for a reason, you'll go through wires before fuses if you go too high.

I'd check back all the wiring that runs to the fuel pump and relay.

Starter motor is on a different loom that goes to the alternator, battery and earth. Double check that that is still in good condition.

EDIT: It could be a water related short so make sure all connections are dry as well

[Edited on 25-11-2012 by Darryl H]

sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had another good check had the engine run up to temp let it dry itself out put a new fuse in of the corect 20 ampage and it was ok after this tonight so I'm thinking water in the electrics was the answer it was so wet lastnight even the inside seats and windows were damp, il keep you posted if there's any problems going to work in the morning
Generation

25th Nov 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check wires going into the gearbox.

Are you using a transponder in the gearbox?
sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No mate speedo isn't working unfortunately there's is a transponder in the box connected tho
Generation

25th Nov 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was speedo working before?

Wires there shorting out will cause car not to start. I had this problem

[Edited on 25-11-2012 by Generation]
sparcost3

25th Nov 12 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea that's defo what it is mate not sure which wires tho but yes mate all the stuff for speedo is there but hasn't ever worked since I put the engine in couldn't do it using iPhone app but it's not reliable off GPS and lags when u go fast
Generation

25th Nov 12 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the wires bare?
Water getting them would cause problems, or if they're touching eachother
Edges 58

25th Nov 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this problem in my XE.. Just water got onto the air flow meter and it didn't like it.. Soon as it dried out it started fine!
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is all part of the fun of owning an XE corsa
sparcost3

26th Nov 12 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneyginger
this is all part of the fun of owning an XE corsa

agreed haha spending every other weekend fixing problems

can be anoying when its your only car though lol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wet weather C20xe cut out at speed help! 23 database queries in 0.0139611 seconds