corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Petrol go off?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does Petrol go off?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Dec 12 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to the petrol station near my house earlier (Tesco) and they had sold out of Momentum (the 99ron stuff).

The only other garage which sells premium unleaded is about 10miles back in the direction I'd just come from, so couldn't be arsed going there and put £15 of peasant fuel in my car instead. Please don't tell anybody on Scoobynet or they might come take my car off me.

I'll be going to the Shell garage tomorrow morning which is 10 miles away (assuming the peasant fuel doesn't blow me up en route) to brim it with optimax, but due to the rarity of premium unleaded round 'ere I was thinking of getting a jerrycan full of the stuff to tie down in my boot for emergencies... but will it go flat/stale/etc?

Alternatively is that octane booster stuff any good to add to normal petrol? I could just keep a bottle of that in the boot I guess.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Corsa_Sport21

13th Dec 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it can go off, but i think it takes quite a long time.
corsa-torque

13th Dec 12 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over time yes fuel will go off, takes a while but it does.
Best thing to do if you were to use a jerry can, id suggest carrying it for a month, use it and refill so that you always have fresh fuel as a back up.
octane booster is also something worth having in the boot, my mates pulsar doesnt like normal fuel what so ever so he always carries a bottle just in case
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Dec 12 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely it can't be that rare that you need additional storage in the car? Just don't let the tank get so low.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Dec 12 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Just don't let the tank get so low.

That means going to the petrol station more often and I'm too lazy for that

Seriously though it's rare that i'll be in this position, but I've been to the tesco garage three nights in a row now so the tank has gone from 1/4 to vapour.

What I should have done, is gone 3 miles in the wrong direction after work to go to the Shell garage as they always have stock... but I didn't and I was left with the unusual situation of probably not having enough fuel to get to Shell even if I wanted to

The "can in the boot" idea wasn't so much for my daily commute - more for if I go beyond my safezone and find myself stuck without a premium unleaded garage. With only 190miles to a tank it's not unusual for me to need to need a fill up at an unknown garage

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Dec 12 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the booster stuff is actually worth using, I might just stick with that - seems less inconvenient.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
JonnyJ

13th Dec 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF i think i know the Tesco Kyle is on about and I'd avoid that unless absolutely necessary too, thats where some old bint crashed into my corsa.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Dec 12 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not had an RTA there before, but it does get pretty scary with the unwritten rule of filling up then leaving to go park up before paying - some people aren't ready for it and I've nearly seen a few pedestrians go flying across the forecourt

Still, I don't know anywhere else that does premium unleaded without driving the wrong way home for 3miles, which over the span of a year will cost me roughly a million quid in a Scooby.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Hammer

13th Dec 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd keep a bottle of octane booster in my boot before I'd drive about with emergency supplies of premium unleaded.
BeetleGav

13th Dec 12 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer. Nail. Head
djgritt
Premium Member

13th Dec 12 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be carrying around a container of Petrol on a daily basis

All it takes is one well positioned accident and you could end up in a bit of a pickle...
Cybermonkey

14th Dec 12 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

octane booster won't stop fuel from going off. You need a fuel stabiliser for doing that.

If its any consulation, I started a car last week for the first time in 12 months and it started and ran just fine.
Kerry

14th Dec 12 at 03:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The octane booster is to increase the Ron of standard fuel not stop it going off!!!
I used to buy it by the crate when I had the pulsar and carry some about just in case
Deffo wouldn't carry a jerry can
Ste
Premium Member

14th Dec 12 at 03:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
octane booster won't stop fuel from going off. You need a fuel stabiliser for doing that.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Alex_Rally

14th Dec 12 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
I wouldn't be carrying around a container of Petrol on a daily basis

All it takes is one well positioned accident and you could end up in a bit of a pickle...

you already do its called a petrol tank mate
BarnshaW

14th Dec 12 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as hammer said carry a bottle in your boot for emergencies, recommend NF Octance Booster

dont run any boost on that normal unleaded you got, if your car is mapped on super unleaded and you nail it about on normal unleaded it can be game over, scoobynet will tell you that.
ianofbhills

14th Dec 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet you there is a huge number of impreza drivers that just put normal unleaded fuel in and the car runs totally fine with no issues.
Mainly the people who dont use the internet forums and get scared by the horror stories of melted number 3 pistons.

[Edited on 14-12-2012 by ianofbhills]
BarnshaW

14th Dec 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shows how much you know then to be honest.

a normal standard car or normal wrx or t2000 will most likely be fine, put normal unleaded on a 99 ron mapped car and put a knock sensor on and watch how much activity you get.

thats why people pay alot of money for dual maps just in case you get caught out, its not scare mongering at all and its really not worth the risk, thanks bye.
3CorsaMeal

14th Dec 12 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I left petrol in the corrado when i took it off the road for 18 months.

I went to drain it out and it had disappeared
ianofbhills

14th Dec 12 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Impreza's are a common car there are alot of them on the road. I totally agree with you that it is important to run them on super unleaded however what I am saying is in my opinion I doubt very much that every single owner is using high octane fuel all of the time.
I've seen women who dont even know how to put petrol in their car let alone choose between normal or super, they'd probs put diesel in if the nozzle would fit.

Not everybody is into cars or has the mechanical sympathy an enthusiast has that's all i'm saying.

Hammer

14th Dec 12 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why did you leave it there in the first place 3CM mate? Not a very safe place to leave petrol.

[Edited on 14-12-2012 by Hammer]
3CorsaMeal

14th Dec 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't know what else to do with it really, was less than 1/4 of a tank
BarnshaW

14th Dec 12 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
Impreza's are a common car there are alot of them on the road. I totally agree with you that it is important to run them on super unleaded however what I am saying is in my opinion I doubt very much that every single owner is using high octane fuel all of the time.
I've seen women who dont even know how to put petrol in their car let alone choose between normal or super, they'd probs put diesel in if the nozzle would fit.

Not everybody is into cars or has the mechanical sympathy an enthusiast has that's all i'm saying.

I hear what you are saying, i would probbaly argue though that you dont have your normal run of the mill lady owner driving a heavily modified impreza, most people with the requirement to use 99 ron will most likely be clued up on it or aware of the issues of not.

They really are sensitive engines to things like that though, I had to fork out the cost of a rebuilt engine on my impreza and that was suspect down to previous owner using incorrect fuel for what it was mapped on.

baza31

14th Dec 12 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you just do what everyone else does and fill up when it gets low? It's not they are terrible on fuel. I've had alot of imprezas and twice run it on the high octane fuel and it made no difference then always run it on normal unleaded with no problems.
ianofbhills

14th Dec 12 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the previous owner of your car used normal unleaded and in their ownership the car was fine?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Petrol go off? 23 database queries in 0.0122249 seconds