corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » How do I cycle to work

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do I cycle to work
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
7th Jan 13 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like to cycle to work, I currently have a MTB which has been given a full bill of health as of late and is ready for ze road.

I've mapped out my route, its currently 6.4miles each way and I tested the route yesterday (Sunday) as I needed to come in and do some IT shit. So thats all good apart from my bum hurts now

I need some advice on helmets, clothing and lights, what do people suggest? I don't want to look like a full on twat. I don't even want to do my arse on cycling gear only to think fuckkkk thisss later down the line, can anyone give me some tips/motivation to get this shit sorted? Thanks.
Jamie Walby

7th Jan 13 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For that kind of distance I would just get a pair of padded boxer shorts to wear under some baggy shorts.

Helmet; just pick one you like the look of in a price range you are happy with.

take a look on

Wiggle

Pro Bike Kit

Evans Cycles

Chain Reaction

I have purchased from all of the above and cant fault any of them.
Whittie

7th Jan 13 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your arse sorts itself out after a few days, if it doesn't buy a wider or more padded seat.

To make it easier on yourself you may want to get some road tyres for the bike, unless you have some already?

Regards to clothing and lights, Walby is your man. I use them snap strap on things which wrap round your ankle / arms and a set of galvin green golf wets to stop clothes getting wet in the rain.
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the comments so far chaps.

Padded gel seat thingy is already there and me gots some road tyres which I can deflate if I want to go off road.

I did my ride yesterday in some cargo 'work' trousers, a t-shirt and a light waterproof jacket which seem to do the trick, is shorts the way to go? even in this sodding weather?

Whats the crack with lights too? I went to bike shop not long ago and this guy was trying to tell me that a £90 front LED light was the way to go because it was this and that and it could recharge over USB. I like a gadget but almost a ton for a front light?

[Edited on 07-01-2013 by willay]
Ben J

7th Jan 13 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also need some streamline wanking gloves like JW's.
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do need some gloves, hands got a beating yesterday
Ben J

7th Jan 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get some MTB gloves. Job done.
Simon

7th Jan 13 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lights depend where you are cycling. If it is all well lit then you can get away with cheap flashing LED types. If it is badly or not at all lit then you need something that cast's a decent beam. I do some offroad rides at night and use two lights of this type, one cost me £17.99 on ebay from Japan, the other cost me £180.00. So you can spend what you like on these.

I ride to work in t shirt and my work trousers under some waterproofs changing to shirt at work
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Half lit and half unlit I'm afraid. So what are you saying the £18 light is no different to the 180 or theres masses of difference between the two?
Simon

7th Jan 13 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use both at the same time one on helmet, one on handlebars. I would happily use the cheaper on it's own for commuting through. It lacks quality and not sure how long battery will last but I've had no problems with it so far. It did take a month to be delivered though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170876182742
Jamie Walby

7th Jan 13 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
You also need some streamline wanking gloves like JW's.

You saw that on Facebook then
Ben J

7th Jan 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah
3CorsaMeal

7th Jan 13 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two choices really, either traditional style

Or modern man look
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

talk to me about gloves? whats expensive and what isnt?

Padded boxers purchased.
_Allan_

7th Jan 13 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some Chloe efforts. She got them on some kind of work scheme*

*Lighter not included.
3CorsaMeal

7th Jan 13 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the lighter for scale purposes? so people know roughly how big a glove is?
Whittie

7th Jan 13 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She's a fucking rem.
Russ

7th Jan 13 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inb4 yourarseshouldbeusedtoapounding comment
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gloves
Whittie

7th Jan 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought some nice wool ones with a velcro section that flops over turning it into a mitten, later that day I found that they did bugger all in the wind...

So I bought these...

http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/millet-exploration-windstopper-mitten-black-man/44236/p

Do the job just fine. Unsure whether they're cheap or expensive though, think I googled wind protective bike gloves, got them for £35, took forever to come.
Jamie Walby

7th Jan 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For winter riding I use Sealskinz gloves. Paid £30 for them, really good and warm.

Warmer weather I just use a pair of fingerless mitts, current ones are specialized.

I also have a pair of aerodynamic wanking (time trial) gloves as mentioned above.
deano87

7th Jan 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clothing wise, anything Madison branded is good quality and good value.

Saddle and arse wise - it could be because of the padded gel cover that your hurts. Get a decent saddle which has been properly designed. Specialized Body Geometry ones have always been good.

Lights - 100% get what you pay for. People are importing their own from eBay but bare in mind you won't get any decent warranty back up, unlike buying from a UK shop or a product distributed by a UK distributor.

Take a look at this site:
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/

Local bike shop service but because they have a few and operate at Anglian Water reservoirs, they have quite nice buying power so do good prices.

Don't forget with lights, it's your safety at the end of the day, so you'll want to invest in something half decent. Consider something like this:
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/43662/Exposure-Flash---Flare-Lights-Pack-with-Recharge-Kit-2013.html

Try and have 1 static rear light and one flashing (same with the front), to keep the old bill at bay.

If you want reviews of stuff, try www.bikeradar.com or buy MBUK/MBR magazine.
deano87

7th Jan 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And don't think because you're only doing 12 miles a day you don't need anything fancy. That's 60 miles per week, more than some 'proper bikers' do at the weekend and it is their hobby, spending £0000's.

Buy cheap buy twice and all that.
willay
Premium Member

7th Jan 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah for sure, I think I'm more bothered of getting all geared up then not using it
Cole

7th Jan 13 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I use both at the same time one on helmet, one on handlebars. I would happily use the cheaper on it's own for commuting through. It lacks quality and not sure how long battery will last but I've had no problems with it so far. It did take a month to be delivered though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170876182742

Same light I use word of advice thought when I use it on the road make sure it's face down as the amount if drivers I've had give me grief because I am blinding them lol. I've got some endura windproof gloves got them from Evans cycles £27 good in the wet aswell as for a helmet just go down halfords and buy a bell or a giro one for around £35

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » How do I cycle to work 23 database queries in 0.0176389 seconds