corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Land Rover people

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Land Rover people
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 13 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother is looking for a second car (for his wife to use mainly) but as he often goes oop north for the mountains, he's decided he wants a 4x4.

He's been looking at TD4 defenders (earlier ones, mk1 shape)

I've been trying to persuade him to get a TD5 Disco 2 but he's worried it'll be a bit big (she can't drive at the moment so this would be her first car)

Now, are the diesel freelanders actually that bad? The engines are good, they're cheap now and if one can do the camel trophy.....
JamesMG

19th Jan 13 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't they use V6 autos in the Camel and G4?

Good cars imo, quite underrated, they suffer from problems with a seized viscous coupling on the prop shaft which prematurely wears the rear diff that's the biggest problem. Tight turns on gravel tests for that.

Next its just irritating little problem, look up three amigos on google for the TC ABS HDC probs they suffer and also the rear boot handle is a common prob an quite expensive.

Apart from that theyre quite capable, IFS and 35mpg makes for quite a good car/small 4x4 compromise!

Oh and need to make sure the PCV is changed when serviced as its often neglected and makes them burn oil. Common place in the BMW market but not Land Rover for some reason
AK

19th Jan 13 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a RR Sport we're trying to get rid of.... 14.5k

If we cant sell within the week its getting punted as a trade in.

Maybe a bit big.... but nice car
MarkM

19th Jan 13 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great price AK.
Ben J

19th Jan 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are you replacing it with AK?
AK

19th Jan 13 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X5 35d M Sport is ticking all the boxes just now

09 or 59 plate hopefully
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Now, are the diesel freelanders actually that bad? The engines are good, they're cheap now and if one can do the camel trophy.....

My old man got a diesel freelander brand new in 2011 (so not sure what model that makes it).

He got a 4x4 experience day as part of the purchase, in which a pro took us out in a (different) brand new freelander on loads of types of terrain to explain the different features and capabilities and I was amazed at how capable the car was. The guy doing the day was a landrover nut, and had all sorts at his house - but said the freelanders didn't deserve their school run reputation and were more than capable 4x4 cars.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
scottyp1989

19th Jan 13 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Discos are a big car tbh especially as a first car, the bonnets seem to go on forever and there is quite a bit of overhang at the rear. I certinatley wouldnt be thinking of a defender if any travveling is involved really, they are very basic inside and really not that comfy. Freelander would be about the best choice TBH, also xtrails are a very capable car and possibly slightly bigger than the freelander, newer shape vitara is also one i would consider. They are all more softroaders but aslong as he dosent want to go mud pluggin and its just general laning etc all of them will be perfectly capeable
K 5ive

19th Jan 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have ownerd my facelift Freelander for nearly 2 years now. Great everyday car as a crossover vehicle. When my wife drives it she gets 500 miles to a tank. I get less. But still around 435 to the tank. That is with a Rover Ron power box on it with the dial turned up to number 10, POWER! for a Freebie anyway. I also got rid of the EGR for a Alisport EGR blank off pipe. I ahve also fitted Silicone Tubo hoses. The first thing I did was change the PCV filter. Then after reading up I changed if for the fit and forget BMW mod which gets rid of the pathetic foam filter system. Forget to change a PCV and kiss bye bye to your Turbo etc.
My car is no road burner but will show up a good few cars. Would I reccomend one. Well this is my second one after a 1.8 version.
Off road skills are pretty good as well and have taken mine up plenty of river beds and done a bit of mountain rock crawling. Just watch those undersides though. Exhaust rear box is the most prone to damage. This can also be remedied with a smaller back box.
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A defender for driving distance in? Will not be nice.

Disco would be alot better, more comfort and fine for anything offroad.

Freelanders are ok but personally don't like them. Don't like how they drive.
Lee_fr200

19th Jan 13 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Freelander is a lovely car, we had a 57 plate hse fully loaded in a nice dark red and the body kit on it, lovely car! Personally though the disco is a much better off roader I had a newish disco rescue me (4yr old) and it was more than capable
RichR
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Freelander boot is far too small for a car of that size. I was all up for another Disco3/4 but given the issues that our's had, and now both my Uncle and my missus' Mum are having (all completely different, difficult to diagnose and expensive to fix), none of us will be havin another. After owning 9 discos of all shapes, my uncle has just moved to a Land Cruiser and missus' mum is lookig at Touregs. I wanted an Evoque but can't trust the build, mechanical or electrical systems in newer LR or RRs.

Swb defender would be about the only LR I'd ever buy now
K 5ive

19th Jan 13 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme

A car that drives like a FWD car most of the time and can give a good few cars a run for their money on the twisties. Whats not to like?
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Jan 13 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definatly doesn't feel like a nice car to drive but personal opinion and all that.
John

19th Jan 13 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this a mark 1 freelander (or a 2 for that matter) we're talking about?

I Jonny 5 alive really trying to say it surprises a lot of cars, including in the twisties
Alex_Rally

20th Jan 13 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K 5ive
quote:

A car that drives like a FWD car most of the time and can give a good few cars a run for their money on the twisties. Whats not to like?

had on , your telling everyone that they are fast and handle well around corners ???
Ben J

20th Jan 13 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On twisties up a mountain maybe.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 08:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Is this a mark 1 freelander (or a 2 for that matter) we're talking about?

I Jonny 5 alive really trying to say it surprises a lot of cars, including in the twisties
K 5ive

20th Jan 13 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Rally
quote:
quote:

had on , your telling everyone that they are fast and handle well around corners ???

Never said they were fast. However as an owner and having many different cars over my lifetime. I like to think I can drive pretty well! So yes I have held off cars in the twisties. I am not saying all! Journalists at the time of launch also were saying the same thing.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You held off cars that either couldn't get past because it was too dangerous or were just out for a leisurely drive.
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
A defender for driving distance in? Will not be nice.

Disco would be alot better, more comfort and fine for anything offroad.

This.

Also my mrs is shit at driving but manages my disco fine. Wouldn't want to see her trying to park it though
AK

20th Jan 13 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...it'd see you off in your Puma

They are a high sided medium sized 4x4. Its never going to handele that well, but it may handle well compared to a Nissan Terrano, Ford Maverick or some other pish.
K 5ive

20th Jan 13 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

They are a high sided medium sized 4x4. Its never going to handele that well, but it may handle well compared to a Nissan Terrano, Ford Maverick or some other pish.

Now your taking the piss! Everything is relative and again in my original post I never stated eveything! You have to take into consideration the spec of car. In both cases mine have had 17's on 225, 55 tyres which do make them handle very well. If you took out a 195 tyre version, I would say the same thing and probably would not like it as a first drive of one. I stated something from my own personal experience on a very twisty Norfolk road that I knew very well with a boy racer trying to stay with me.
Remember the old saying of it's not what you drive, it's how you drive.
AK

20th Jan 13 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF?

Why am I taking the piss

Simply putting 17's and low profile road tyres on a medium sized high sided 4x4 wont make it handle well..... regardless how how you drive it :S

[Edited on 20-01-2013 by AK]
Steve
Premium Member

20th Jan 13 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AK

Now your taking the piss! Everything is relative and again in my original post I never stated eveything! You have to take into consideration the spec of car. In both cases mine have had 17's on 225, 55 tyres which do make them handle very well. If you took out a 195 tyre version, I would say the same thing and probably would not like it as a first drive of one. I stated something from my own personal experience on a very twisty Norfolk road that I knew very well with a boy racer trying to stay with me.
Remember the old saying of it's not what you drive, it's how you drive.

So now you're putting it down to the driver not the 4x4, make your mind up!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Land Rover people 23 database queries in 0.0136912 seconds