corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Detail (cleaning) gear, what to get???

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Detail (cleaning) gear, what to get???
big eck

User status: Offline
27th Feb 13 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm finally having my shed build today so got a place to store stuff and I've always wanted good cleaning gear.

I'm after a good jetwash along with all the gear that comes with it. A snow foam lance is also a must.

What the best way to go about this regarding what's the best value for money??? Also where can I buy it???
thegsi

27th Feb 13 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk is brilliant for everything you need.
beany113

27th Feb 13 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk is brilliant for everything you need.

^^^
Balling
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've found www.i4detailing.co.uk is cheaper than cleanyourcar on most products.

BluKoo

27th Feb 13 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Polished Bliss are pretty cheap too, and they offer free postage on everything.
Whittie

27th Feb 13 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How come the images on that site are from Tim Wallace and not you Murray? Just wondering.

I'm going to order stuff now thanks to this thread!
Dave

27th Feb 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First things first you need to make sure you have the correct pants, don't want CS going mental again.
3CorsaMeal

27th Feb 13 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
First things first you need to make sure you have the correct pants, don't want CS going mental again.

3CorsaMeal

27th Feb 13 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like dodo juice stuff nowadays, although i use other stuff: Over the years i've bought and tried loads of different shampoos and polishes.

I now use:

Karcher with an Autobrite foam lance

BODY:
-Dodo juice born to be mild shampoo
-Dodo juice clay and lube
-Dodo juice Lime prime
-Autoglym super resin polish
-Collinite 915 wax

WHEELS:
-Bilberry Wheel cleaner
-Autosmart Tardis
-Wax, just called "Wheel wax"

INTERIOR:
-Einszett leather care
-Poorboys Natural look
-AutoBrite Clear Vue Glass cleaner

Then i has the DAS6 machine polisher with menzerna polishes and pads
Balling
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
Polished Bliss are pretty cheap too, and they offer free postage on everything.
Compared to i4detailing they're about 5-10% more expensive on most products which quickly makes up for the free postage.

evilrob
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're starting from scratch, you can do a lot worse than the Auto Finesse starter kit:
http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=96

Contains all this for £169.95:

WASH STAGE:
- 1x Bucket and Grit Guard
- 1x Lambs Wool Wash Mitt
- 1x 500ml 'Lather' Car Shampoo
- 1x 1l 'Citrus Power' Citrus Degreaser Spray
- 1x 500ml 'Oblitarate' Tar & Glue remover

CLAY:
- 1x Clay Bar 200g
- 1x 500ml 'Glide' Clay Lube

POLISH STAGE
- 1x 250ml 'Tripple all in one' Polish
- 1x 250ml 'Revive' Trim Dressing
- 1x 250ml 'Crystal' Glass Cleaner

FINAL STAGE PRODUCTS:
- 1x 250ml 'Tough Coat' Sealant
- 1x 500ml 'Finale' Detail Spray

WHEEL PRODUCTS:
- 1x 500ml 'Imperial Ready To Use' Wheel Cleaner
- 1x 'Mint Rims' Wheel Wax
- 1x 500ml 'Satin' Tyre Gel

CLOTHS/MISC:
- 1x Yellow Foam Applicator
- 1x Tyre Product Applicator
- 1x Ultra Plush Microfiber
- 1x Drying Towel
- 1x Black Decal
- 1x Air Freshener

Only things it's missing is a wax, a second bucket and grit guard, and could maybe do with a few more microfibres.

If you email James and ask for a deal, they're usually quite flexible if you want to swap some stuff out for other stuff.
evilrob
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's my favourite stuff:

Essentials:
A pile of microfibre cloths
Shampoo: Dodo Juice Born to be Mild
Clay: Bilt-Hamber Soft
Polish: Car-Lack 68 Nano Systematic Care
Sealant: Car-Lack 68 Long Life Sealant
^ if you get the Car-Lack stuff, get a couple of Microfibre bricks as they work well for applying these particular products
Wax: Autoglym HD Wax or Collinite 476s
Quick detailing spray: Clearkote Quikshine

Nice to have:
Glaze: For a light car, check out Poorboys White Diamond - Glaze goes after polish and before sealant and/or wax. For a dark car, I use Poorboys Black Hole.
Trim restorer for your scuttle pan, window rubbers etc: GTechniq C4
Glass cleaner: Auto Finesse Crystal Glass
Fancy Microfibre: Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile
Metal polish (for exhausts etc): Auto Finesse Mercury Metal Polish
Wheel cleaner: Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner for light dirt, Autoglym Clean Wheels for really baked in nasty stuff (ideally with a wheel brush)
Wheel sealant: Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Foam applicator pads for applying wheel products and metal polish
Interior surfaces dressing (dash, door cards etc): Poorboys Natural Look Dressing

When you've got the detailing bug:
Pressure Washer with Snow Foam Lance: Karcher are generally a good bet
DA machine polisher: Meguiar's Microfiber DA Kit is easy to use, not stupid expensive and yields good results

Technique:
Ideally you want two buckets with grit guards, a lambswool mitt (NOT a sponge), a proper car shampoo, clay, polish and then glaze followed by either a sealant or a wax, or a sealant THEN a wax (never the other way around).

Two buckets is to prevent you from making new scratches while washing - cos you're dragging something across the surface of the paint you want to use one bucket for soapy water, and one bucket for clean water. Before you reload your mitt with suds each time, give it a rinse in the second bucket to get any bits of crap off (at least once per panel). Grit guards are optional but do help prevent bits of grit floating about and getting back on your mitt.

A mitt is essential - as they also help pull dirt away from the paint so you're not rubbing it all over the car while you wash. Some people use two - one for the top half of the car, and one for the lower half of the car. A sponge is a big no-no.

Start from the top and work your way down - load up your mitt with suds and squeeze a bit out over the panel you want to wash to lubricate the surface before cleaning that panel. Use light pressure, work in straight lines rather than circular motions. The key here is to wipe off the dirt while doing your best to avoid inflicting any new scratches that will rob you of shine.

After shampooing give the car a rinse and you're ready to clay. Clay is used to pull off any stuff from the paint that washing hasn't done - like water marks, tree sap and other nasty stuff, really helps get the best shine. I recommend Bilt-Hamber as you can just use water for lubrication - many of the others require you to buy a matching 'detailing spray'. Break off a piece of clay, warm it up in your hands by folding it and flattening it out until it's supple, then liberally mist the panel you want to clay with water (I'm assuming you have some kind of spray bottle knocking about). Run the clay over the surface with fingertip pressure, remembering to fold the clay regularly to expose a clean surface. Keep going until every panel feels glassy smooth, breaking off a new chunk of clay as necessary if it starts getting particularly grubby. You'll be amazed how much crap comes off apparently clean paint I'd recommend having a look on YouTube for the best way to do this - it's easy when you see someone else do it.

When the car is washed and clayed, you're ready to polish - generally it's best to do one panel at a time as the longer you leave the polish on the harder it is to buff off. Normally you have to buff off the polish before you do your final sealant or wax stage - but with the Car-Lack Polish and Sealant combo I recommended above, you can just go straight over the polish without buffing it off, to save a step. With that particular combination I tend to polish the whole car, the go over with the sealant - all in one go rather than a panel at a time as it comes off easily. If you get any stubborn bits you can use the quick detailer spray to moisten it up a bit. These particular products are best applied with a damp micro fibre brick, and buffed off with a good quality microfibre cloth.

If you like, you can finish off with a good wax. Wax is generally best applied with a moist foam applicator pad, left to cure for half an hour and then buffed off with a clean, good quality microfibre cloth.

For the next 2-3 months you should be able to just shampoo, rinse, dry and finish off with a quick detailing spray and buff to restore the shine.

Tips:
Remove rings, watches, belts, anything that could scratch your car while you're leaning over it.
Remove labels from microfibre cloths, again to prevent additional scratches.
Fold microfibre cloths in half, then in half again, and turn frequently using all 8 'sides' created by the multiple folding.
Use light pressure at all times.
Go in straight lines when washing rather than circles to avoid inflicting swirl marks. Buffing in circles is OK.
If you drop the clay, bin it - it will have picked up crap from the floor and is useless.
If you drop a microfibre cloth, stop using it and get a fresh one.
Microfibres can be washed in the washing machine, just don't use fabric softener as this will ruin them.
Take your time - no need to go all Speedy Gonzales.
All the improvement in appearance will occur during the shampoo, clay and polish stages - the sealant and wax simply lock in your hard work and protect the paintwork.
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
If you're starting from scratch, you can do a lot worse than the Auto Finesse starter kit:
http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=96

Only things it's missing is a wax, a second bucket and grit guard, and could maybe do with a few more microfibres.
It's got Tough Coat though, so don't really need a wax as well. Personally I use two buckets from Focus without grit guards - dont put the mitt at the bottom, simples

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
BluKoo

27th Feb 13 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
How come the images on that site are from Tim Wallace and not you Murray? Just wondering.

I've never taken any proper pics of any client cars before. Tim Wallace was brought up specifically to get some shots for the site after detailing a couple of customer cars.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I like dodo juice stuff nowadays

I now use:

Karcher with an Autobrite foam lance

BODY:
-Dodo juice born to be mild shampoo
-Dodo juice clay and lube
-Dodo juice Lime prime
-Autoglym super resin polish
-Collinite 915 wax

WHEELS:
-Bilberry Wheel cleaner
-Autosmart Tardis
-Wax, just called "Wheel wax"

INTERIOR:
-Einszett leather care
-Poorboys Natural look
-AutoBrite Clear Vue Glass cleaner

Then i has the DAS6 machine polisher with menzerna polishes and pads

I have to say, after reading your Corrado clean thread I went and bought some "Born to be Mild" as the Megs/AG shampoo I've used in the past didn't seem to lather up that well, and my mitt didn't feel particularly well lubricated.

The DJ stuff is something else though, REALLY impressed.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
evilrob
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
quote:
Originally posted by evilrob

It's got Tough Coat though, so don't really need a wax as well. Personally I use two buckets from Focus without grit guards - dont put the mitt at the bottom, simples

It's always nice to have a wax, though - then you can find out which 'look' you prefer on your car.

I like having grit guards to agitate the mitt against when dunking in the bucket.
evilrob
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
The DJ stuff is something else though, REALLY impressed.

+1 for Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
big eck

27th Feb 13 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok I have found this pressure washer

http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=7424

And this snow foam and lance

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183611

Is that a good deal??

I already have the lambs wool wash mitt, Megs shampoo and clay bar kit. I just need a decent wax and wheel cleaner. Ive also got the megs tyre gel so that's sorted. Also what drying towel would you recommend???
Gary
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need some of these too...

It's what the pros wear
big eck

27th Feb 13 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your not interested in this subject at all then do me and everyone a favour and GTF.
Balling
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by big eck
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183611
I like how the more you pay the more free shit you get. Well it's not free then, is it?

AndyCorsaSport

27th Feb 13 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just washed my car with some Comma wash and wax. Hot water. A sponge and hosepipe.

First I wet the car with the hose.
Then poured some wash a wax into a bucket, and filled with hot water.
Sponged the car with the hot wash and wax.
Rinsed off using the hose pipe
Left to dry.

Jobs a good en.
evilrob
Premium Member

27th Feb 13 at 15:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drying towel:
http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemical_Guys_Wooly_Mammoth_Drying_Towel_p/woolmamm.htm
CORSA NUT

27th Feb 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've built up a few bits over the years and TBH there from all over the shop depending on price and how good they are.

All I'll add to what's been said already is but Microfibres from Costo. IIRC there £10 (36) for a big bag of yellow ones and there brilliant.

Contact your local AutoSmart dealer and get

5L Smart Wheels
25L pump sprayer
5L G101 - All purpose cleaner
5L Highstyle (silicone based)
5L Glass clear
5L Duet - Shampoo

Buy one of these...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush/prod_480.html

Don't look at the cost, there fucking brilliant and after years of abuse mines still like new.

Then get an AutoBrite HD foam lance with 5L Magifoam and a decent Karcher. Mines a 3.5 and is ideal.

Also get some empty hand held pump sprayers preferably with foaming heads, clean your car have these.

Also some Demon Shine. Asda sometimes have this on offer for £2 for 2 litres and will dry your car in minutes leaving some left over water for a decent drying towel, although I still use a shammy.

For the interior I use Poorboys Natural dressing..

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/poorboys-natural-look-dressing/prod_328.html?page=1#tab3

A little goes a long way and smells amazing. Avoids the cheap shiney interior look!

Finally I use Collinite 476 wax which lasts 6 months (if you've clay bared beforehand) and is cheap and lasts forever.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html

CORSA NUT

27th Feb 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also there loads I've left out this will get you going though

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Detail (cleaning) gear, what to get??? 23 database queries in 0.0851490 seconds