corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DSG Box's (Scirocco Owners Please?)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DSG Box's (Scirocco Owners Please?)
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
2nd Apr 13 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok quick one have been and looked at a Scirocco GT 170 and has a DSG box on it, going back for a test drive later but firstly any one have any experience with these? Has paddle shift on the steering wheel as well I assume this comes with all DSG boxes?

My main question is what MPG difference do you get between the manual and the DSG? I assume the auto offers less but just how much is it? not even worth thinking about as not a lot or is it quite a lot?

[Edited on 02-04-2013 by SXI - Matt]

[Edited on 03-04-2013 by SXI - Matt]
Norcy91

2nd Apr 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate had an R32 with the DSG box, he loved it, changes gear so quickly! His actually got better MPG on paper than the manual version.

Think most DSG's offer around the same MPG as their manual equivalents. Have a look on Parkers for their facts and figures on MPG etc. They're also usually quicker 0-60
nathy_87

2nd Apr 13 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got DSG on the Skoda, it's nice and smooth gear changes don't notice you're in high gear until you look. Best box i've driven in ages. As for paddle shifting, I find it to lack a little seems like forever to change especially in Sport mode so I just leave it in Auto. As for mpg figures, I haven't looked into that side of things.
SXI - Matt

2nd Apr 13 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok seems a good box then, hear a lot of positive feedback so have to see what it's like later then. Ill have a ganders on parkers and see what they say
andys sxi
Premium Member

2nd Apr 13 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I noticed on the Audi that its a different tax bracket

April 08 feature car
SXI - Matt

2nd Apr 13 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh really I may have a quick look, yeah it's Ł15 more for the DSG box strange not the end of the world though

Matt L

2nd Apr 13 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally love it on mine, just wish they did the cupra/r with it now.

mpg wise cant really say as I haven't driven the manual version of mine but according to parkers the dsg is slightly better.

as said its really smooth and very quick (except first to reverse as its on the same bit so takes a second to change - so quick 3 point turns as someones coming aren't advisable).

sport mode is pretty pointless imo never used it, like nathy said it seems to go up to 4.5k sit there for a second and then change, paddles though are pretty much instant in mine so I tend to use those.

common problems with them are the mechtronic unit? or something like that cant remember if that is what its called, just look out for it being jerky when reversing.

strange problem I have had, when the car is really cold and been left for a few days it sometimes doesn't disengage the 1st when coming up to a jct so it keeps pushing you forward (done it around 4-5times on me since I had it) but only happens once then its fine.
taylorboosh

2nd Apr 13 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10x better than smg
nathy_87

2nd Apr 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
10x better than smg

You know this because?
taylorboosh

2nd Apr 13 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate had an m3, another mate has an r32.
taylorboosh

2nd Apr 13 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dsg shifts every bit as well as smg2 when ragging it. The swinging factor is it works well in auto too, smg2 does not.
SXI - Matt

2nd Apr 13 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's on a scirocco this particular box, seems a lot have it and TBF wouldn't mind an auto some lazy driving :-) then the paddles for a bit more fun and a play I guess. When braking will it auto change down but allow you fill control of up shift?
Ben J

2nd Apr 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got DSG on the Octavia. Love it. Not sure on mpg vs manual tho. But the flappy paddles I've used twice. Can't be arsed. Rather use full auto.
Matt L

2nd Apr 13 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
It's on a scirocco this particular box, seems a lot have it and TBF wouldn't mind an auto some lazy driving :-) then the paddles for a bit more fun and a play I guess. When braking will it auto change down but allow you fill control of up shift?

'manual' is never truly manual, it will shift you up when you hit the redline and shift you down if your going o stall.

in auto mode I find it doesn't use the gears much to slow you down will stay in 6th till your down to about 40 then start to change, sometimes going down a hill and braking it will kick down a gear or so which is good, but if im on a dual carriage way I will tend to use the paddles to slow down.

you can also use the paddles in auto, it will go back into auto after about a minute of not using them, or press and hold the up paddle.

[Edited on 02-04-2013 by Matt L]
SXI - Matt

2nd Apr 13 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok makes sense, take it the S mode will hold the gears longer? Then there's the (+_-) if you slide the stick to the left as well which I assume is the same concept as the paddles?

Ben J

2nd Apr 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, same as paddles.
nathy_87

2nd Apr 13 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes as Ben said. With the Skoda the +_- are nly on D and not S, would've thought it'd be the same on the rest of the vag cars?
Matt L

2nd Apr 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the +/- move its into 'manual' so you can use the stick or paddles but like I say take it to the redline and the car will still change it self up.

s mode takes you close to the redline holds it a second and then changes up, mine also doesn't change up below 2.5k in s mode,
Jambo

2nd Apr 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
dsg shifts every bit as well as smg2 when ragging it. The swinging factor is it works well in auto too, smg2 does not.

Yes it does

If you can drive that is.
big eck

2nd Apr 13 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not a fan of the Dsg boxes. I test drove one in an R32 and it was just a glorified auto to me. Much prefer a manual and feel like I'm in control of what it does lol.
taylorboosh

3rd Apr 13 at 05:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:

Yes it does

If you can drive that is.

Im not going to argue smg with you mate as i know you adore it, but im one of many that feel this
taylorboosh

3rd Apr 13 at 05:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also prefer manual
Ben J

3rd Apr 13 at 06:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to prefer manual until I got an auto.
SXI - Matt

3rd Apr 13 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See I thought I'd prefer a manual, but have drove a fair few autos the last being a poverty spec Mondeo and even that was nice to drive smooth ect. So going to a DSG should be even better, will see if the right spec comes up and it's the right price ill get it and not worry what box it is
nathy_87

3rd Apr 13 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
I used to prefer manual until I got an auto.

This.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DSG Box's (Scirocco Owners Please?) 23 database queries in 0.0148928 seconds