corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Day - Wages

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Job Day - Wages
antnee

User status: Offline
9th Apr 13 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been accepted for a graduate job I went for but on the job post it didn't mention salary at all. The contract has been sent to me and the wage is a little lower than I was expecting, so how does negotiating a higher wage with a new employer go down?
LeeM

9th Apr 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you not think of asking at interview? you negotiate before you accept the job usually
taylorboosh

9th Apr 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not surr if it does but id maybe of asked in interview what you would be earning??
taylorboosh

9th Apr 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any questions - nope
Bart

9th Apr 13 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it sounds a bit odd to get so far without discussing the salary, but I suppose it was probably based on the graduates experience.

Personally, depending on how much lower it is, if you can live with it, id accept it, get your foot in the door, get your head down, get some experience and then look at renegotiating.
Ian
Site Administrator

9th Apr 13 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Three things -

Do nothing - easy

Tell them you want more and accept the same - fairly easy but they might think a bit badly (or probably not, you are new to employment and they won't remember in a month anyway)

Tell them you want more and don't accept the same and leave - waste of everyone's time and leaves you with no job.
ed

9th Apr 13 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For graduate jobs, it's kinda normal not to discuss salary. You generally don't submit a salary expectation and it's a bit of a faux pas to talk cash in the first interview.
Jules S
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what job it is and salary scales I guess.

I have a friend who is a PM in the Defence manufacturing industry. He states quite openly that not asking for pay rises is seen as an act of weakness and counts against you (granted not before you start - but that ship has sailed)

You could ask for the salary scales/increment point to get a better understanding of where you will be in the future.

I've never heard of being offered a job before any slary discussions though.
LeeM

9th Apr 13 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
For graduate jobs, it's kinda normal not to discuss salary. You generally don't submit a salary expectation and it's a bit of a faux pas to talk cash in the first interview.

its less of a salary discussion, and more getting the basic important info. funny if he's accepted an unpaid internship due to not bothering to ask
ed

9th Apr 13 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have said, only applies if the job has an advertised salary All the grad jobs I've seen have which leaves little room to negotiate as there always seem to be more applicants than positions.
antnee

9th Apr 13 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a few grand down on what other similar grad schemes pay.

I might send a nicely worded email in, just asking about how quickly I could work up the pay scale
antnee

9th Apr 13 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also I should add, I feel I am in a strong position for the job as they said we would hear from them in over a weeks time, yet I got a phone call from them the next day.
Wrighty

9th Apr 13 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what's a graduate job as opposed to a normal job?
antnee

9th Apr 13 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More training, mentoring, etc
Skylined

9th Apr 13 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the graduate jobs I applied for all had a set salary advertised.

Grad schemes usually start everyone on the same wage, so wouldn't have thought you'd get anywhere asking for more. If you do start and the other grads find out you're earning a few grand more than them they'll be pissed and kick off, and you won't be the most popular person to sit with at lunch
Wrighty

9th Apr 13 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Job > no job

id say a few grand less then what you were expecting is better then nothing, and id be counting my lucky stars id had the offer too. Just make it known you want to progress to get something more like the salary you were expecting
Skylined

9th Apr 13 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it to start soon or in September?

If the latter you could always just accept for now and keep applying elsewhere. Nothing to stop you pulling out later down the line.
Xs

9th Apr 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the job and what is the wage if you don't mine me asking? Had quite a lot of graduate interviews so have a good idea of pay scales
RichR
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 05:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They also tend to have a probation period with an appraisal at the end; I started on a relatively low wage but at the end of my 3 month probation, I got an £8k raise which put me in a better position than I would have been elsewhere. There's no point in an employer wasting money on someone who might well drop out in that initial period.
antnee

10th Apr 13 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a manufacturing/process engineer, starting on 20k.

I think I might sit tight then, see what happens. They already know I want to progress through the company so I guess I just need to work hard.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 08:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

20k is good going for a grad job though is it not?!
James

10th Apr 13 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Not really - I don't know that industry but most blue-chip grad schemes pay £30k+ and then a sign-on bonus on top of a few thousand.

[Edited on 10-04-2013 by James]
antnee

10th Apr 13 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The majority of engineering grad schemes (for automotive/mech) are usually around the mid 20s, some are around 29k for the likes of Jag.
Balling
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
did you not think of asking at interview? you negotiate before you accept the job usually
This.

Also, I accepted a lower pay than I was expecting when I took my current job. The pension and perks were miles better than what I came from, for one thing.
Also I couldn't wait to get out of my old job.

Money isn't everything, you need to look at the whole package before you start asking for more.

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Apr 13 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Not really - I don't know that industry but most blue-chip grad schemes pay £30k+ and then a sign-on bonus on top of a few thousand.

[Edited on 10-04-2013 by James]

But thats down london is it not? I presume that his are midlands based jobs

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Job Day - Wages 23 database queries in 0.0121622 seconds