corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Solar panels!?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Solar panels!?
Colin

User status: Offline
24th May 13 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone got them? Im thinking about having some fitted to my new house as its got a straight south facing garden so will get a fair amount of them on the rear of the roof with sun whenever its available. The wife down the road from my current place says she gets 4x cheques totalling over a grand a year and shes got about half the number I'm thinking about having! Since this is going to be my forever home it may pose a worthy investment especially the way energy bills are going.
John

24th May 13 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been discussed on here a few times. Waste of money for the most part imo.
AndyKent

24th May 13 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually not a waste of money in most cases. Not sure about Scotland but even with the reduced feed in tariffs down here it's a big money maker over the life of the panels.

Energy costs are only going one way so better to be on the bandwagon if you can afford it imo.
smcGSI16V

24th May 13 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also have to live in the property quite some considerable time before recouping the initial costs.
Colin

24th May 13 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This will be my house until i'm wheeled into my nursing home!
AndyKent

25th May 13 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think payback is currently at about 6/7 years.

You'd need someone out to do proper quotes to confirm that, but generally they're a good return on investment providing you stick with the property.
Marc

25th May 13 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
This will be my house until i'm wheeled into my nursing home!

Sounds like your portfolio is complete then!
gazza808

25th May 13 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a company knock at my house the other day,

They fit them for free, at zero cost, and take a percentage of the energy/money a month till they are paid off,

Tbh I didn't think it was a bad deal.
A2H GO

25th May 13 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they fit for free and only took a % until they were paid off they wouldn't make any money

You didn't ask the right questions.

[Edited on 25-05-2013 by A2H GO]
gazza808

25th May 13 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read it completely wrong, your post that is.

They must make money or why would they be doing it?

It was zero cost to me and I get free electic.

[Edited on 25-05-2013 by gazza808]
Haimsey
Premium Member

25th May 13 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some mortgage lenders aren't fans.

Just FYI.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Ben G

25th May 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone seems to be getting them in my area. Must be getting something in return, surely?
eckers90

25th May 13 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the companies that offer for free are rip offs, my friend loooked into this and another fitted the 3 way meters, if you front the money theyre worth it, but the small print in the companies offering to do them for free are a joke apparently, end up taking most of it off you.
John

25th May 13 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In 7 years time when all these people who got them for free try to sell their house, or still have to pay massive bills, or whatever downside, the internet will be full of people saying they were conned when really they couldn't count.
Dave

25th May 13 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surprised there hasn't already been a raft of horror stories regarding fitting. Seems to be a lot of potential for things to go wrong structurally.
Dom

25th May 13 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you do the sums (plenty of solar calculators about that'll help you) but if you aren't planning to move any time soon then it's worth doing. From the few people i know that have it installed, the only real issue appears to be if you go for the 'Free' installation as it essentially means your tied to the house (puts a lot of people off buying) until it's paid off.
Jay

25th May 13 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Surprised there hasn't already been a raft of horror stories regarding fitting. Seems to be a lot of potential for things to go wrong structurally.

Like what? We fit solar panels and its a piece of piss. The external insulation we fit to houses without a cavity wall pose the biggest problems structurally.
A2H GO

25th May 13 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably BS but someone told me that payback (when bought outright) is about 8+ years, by which time they've degraded so much they'll need replacing, anyone know about this?
Toby
Premium Member

26th May 13 at 07:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My folks were looking into it a few moths ago and had a couple of people round.

If you have 10k (ish) then buying them is the way forward. Expected date for a return on investment is 8-11 years. The government are backing the scheme for another 22 years.

Even if you sell the property you can even hold onto the rights for the solar panels, though not sure that would help you sell too much.

If you can't afford to buy then I can't see why going for the 'rented' option is so bad? They provide all the equipment, fitting and maintainence and in return you get all the electricity you can use while its generating it. I reckon if the average family adjusted their way of living a little bit I.e. domestic appliances on in the day etc it would half your electricity bill across the course of the year. Can't see how that's a bad thing.
John

26th May 13 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Like what? We fit solar panels and its a piece of piss. The external insulation we fit to houses without a cavity wall pose the biggest problems structurally.

Like the monkeys fitting them don't know what they are doing and don't even screw them into anything, just through the tiles. Non-one has ever done any structural calcs for the new loading on the roof or how they will react to wind. Water gets in.

Normally fitted by a company who will paint your roof or wall for 'insulation'.
Carl

26th May 13 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about the potential for the technology to change/evolve say in 3 years time they got rendered all but useless? Or potential maintainance costs if you bought outright and something went wrong? Some thiughts ive had, I was going to look into them but that feed in tariff got slashed so felt like i'd missed the boat as it were.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th May 13 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gf dad has just spent irrc 20k on a 10kw system
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

26th May 13 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10kw system.

ChazSXi

27th May 13 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We bought a house with some.

They are not owned by us and caused no problems with the halifax. We use whatever elec we can but there is no storage a this is how the company make their money. If you are not using the panels when the sun is out then you are making no use of them!

Tbh I'm not gonna complain. We never had the hassle of them being fitted and during the summer months our elec bill is £10 a month
ash_corsa

27th May 13 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
10kw system.

What a lovely view!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll