corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Health day: Asthma people - update

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Health day: Asthma people - update
Jay

User status: Offline
20th Jun 13 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone suffering bad lately? Been the docs twice and she's saying she can't do anything for me as its the hay fever kicking it off but I'm really struggling with my breathing, using blue inhaler 20-25 times a day and waking up fighting for breath. I've only had asthma for a year and since the initial attack which put me in hospital I've been fine, but Im finding it difficult to go about day to day activities the past week or so.

I've only got a blue Inhaler everyone I've spoke to reckons I should have a brown one but doc wouldn't give me one.

[Edited on 21-06-2013 by Jay]
Robbo

20th Jun 13 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone with asthma needs a preventer as well as a reliever ?
Ben G

20th Jun 13 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate used a brown one when he did cross country running in school.
Dave

20th Jun 13 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The doc won't give you a preventer? Seems a bit irresponsible.

I think the brown preventers have been replaced now by purple and green ones. My mum has quite bad asthma but whatever preventer she has now has it completely under control. She used to have fairly regular trips to the hospital to the extent she had her own nebulizer at home so shows how good the new preventers can be.
Jay

20th Jun 13 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
everyone with asthma needs a preventer as well as a reliever ?

The pharmacist told me this, I do an a&e doctors garden every two weeks and he told me the same but she won't give me it, I went in Monday for a new reliever as it was on the verge of running out, told me I couldn't have one and to come back in 3 days if the cetrizine didn't work, went back today and had to literally argue with her for a new Inhaler. I wouldn't mind but I never go the docs I just buy stuff and ride it out so it's not like I'm there every week for something else.
Ben G

20th Jun 13 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doctor sounds like a cunt. I'd report her.
Pauly

20th Jun 13 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would see another doctor or see if you can move to another surgery as it sounds like your just being fobbed off by her.

Dave

20th Jun 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have thought if you are having to take the ventolin so much they might try you on a course of steroids for a few days too.

Maybe ring NHS direct, explain what's going on and see if you can see another doctor at a walk in clinic.
mattant

20th Jun 13 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
The doc won't give you a preventer? Seems a bit irresponsible.

I think the brown preventers have been replaced now by purple and green ones. My mum has quite bad asthma but whatever preventer she has now has it completely under control. She used to have fairly regular trips to the hospital to the extent she had her own nebulizer at home so shows how good the new preventers can be.

They haven't been replaced, the different colours are just different brands, you just get whatever they have.

20-25 times a day means you definitely need a preventer - I was told off for using mine twice a day

It is possible to overdose as well so be careful
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jun 13 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ffs, just realised I've left mine at work after reading then that'll be a nice couple of hours broken sleep tonight!
Jay

20th Jun 13 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did ask to see another doctor today but when I got there it was her again, going to ring up in the morning to see the asthma nurse, you've all confirmed my concerns she really made me feel like I was being unreasonable and as I'm new to asthma I haven't got a clue about it.
Jay

20th Jun 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to buy a volumizer yesterday cause I couldn't fill my lungs without coughing, helped me loads but still needing it regular.
Tommy

20th Jun 13 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As well as a preventer and the usual reliever, if your suffering you should ask for some prescribed hayfeever help. Im drugged up to the eyeballs and im still affected.
morpheus22

20th Jun 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been suffering allot this week. im on symbicort normally twice I day now but taking it maybe 4 times in a day.

used to be on ventolin and becotide years ago but after a really bad asthma attack a few years ago that put me in hospital for two weeks, I have been told symbicort is the only thing that can help atm
Root

20th Jun 13 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try a different doctor, you need both. The brown (apparently) prevents it from happening and eventually reduces your asthma altogether.

I also use a nebuliser sometimes..
Jay

20th Jun 13 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do you use a neb? They're boss.
mattant

20th Jun 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got given one to take home when I was a kid from the hospital
corsadonk
Premium Member

20th Jun 13 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine got really bad after giving up smoking, my old G.P was a waste of space, and didn't give me anything to sort it out, till he retired and I got a new hot Dr. She is sound at sorted me out with a purple one, for the preventer, which works really well, and I don't use my blue one.

Go ask to see another Dr.
Fonz
Premium Member

21st Jun 13 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattant
[20-25 times a day means you definitely need a preventer - I was told off for using mine twice a day

It is possible to overdose as well so be careful

seconded.
i was told if i ever needed to use my blue three times or more to come straight in for an appointment,

double figures will be doing you no good and as high as 25 well you'll end up failing your windpipe.

a windpipe was described to me as an elastic tube, asthma causes that tube to close, while the drugs work to open back up to allow correct and easy breathing,

too many drugs, too often it is like stretching an elastic band over and over and over until it isnt elastic anymore which is bound to cause greater issues long term.

the brown (preventer) is a gentler drug to use to maintain this open state and is always preference to use instead of reliance on the blue (reliever) its the old cliche, prevention is better than cure

i only ever take one puff of brown in the morning and evening, very rarely do i ever need my blue once a month is considered out of the ordinary now. i have a very good asthma nurse (and a milf too! ) who has worked with me to manage my asthma working through various strength browns and dosage to find what works effectively for me....you need to start that process
Jay

21st Jun 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rang up again this morning to see a new doctor and explained why, so she got the asthma nurse to come in early before her first appointment to see me as its urgent.

Turns out the bottom half of my lungs aren't filling up and they're heavily congested, been given 2 salbutamol, one fostair preventer and a course of steroid tablets, and she's pissed off the gp sent me away with nothing when me situations bad.
Tommy

21st Jun 13 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prednisolone ??? or maybe Amoxicillin
mattant

21st Jun 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the way, if you ask nicely and say you live at two houses, they will put two blue inhalers on one prescription, so you only pay for one but get two. See here:

Tommy

21st Jun 13 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think you need to go to the extent of making stuff up, just say you like to keep one in your car.
mattant

21st Jun 13 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy
Don't think you need to go to the extent of making stuff up, just say you like to keep one in your car.

True, I did it when my parents split up and I was living at both my mums and dads house so kept one at each
Jay

21st Jun 13 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I asked for one to keep in the work van cause I keep forgetting it, she gave me 2 salbutamol

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Health day: Asthma people - update 22 database queries in 0.0272648 seconds