corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VAG 1.6 vs 2.0 TDi engines

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VAG 1.6 vs 2.0 TDi engines
antnee

User status: Offline
1st Aug 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking at getting a Mk6 Golf in a month or 2, but struggling to decide which engine to go for.

Looking at book figures the 1.6 gets a few mpg more than the 2.0, but obviously has less power (and lesser spec). But I know the old 2.0TDi engines had crap economy so not sure if the new ones are as good as the book figures.

Has anyone tried the two engines or owned either?

Edit, its the newer 2.0 tdi (Post 2009/2010 I think)

[Edited on 01-08-2013 by antnee]
Mattb

1st Aug 13 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 is slow as you like.. i used an A3 2.0 tdi for trips to Milton Keynes, averaged about 59mpg iirc, and thats through the lanes
John

1st Aug 13 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Slow' in this case depends what you are doing with it.

It's not slow about town and it'll happily sit above the speed limit on the motorway.

It won't be as fast a a bigger, more powerful engine though.
andy_mk3

1st Aug 13 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driven a few 1.6's and they're ample. Not a bad drive. Not quick but doesn't feel underpowered either.
pow
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel that you buying a new car is going to be an absolute disaster

My workmate had a 1.6TDi Touran DSG on the 11, he averaged 49MPG with an empty car on an A road commute. The VAG TDI lumps aren't that good for economy IMO - they have good trip computers that you can make read whateverthefuckyouwant to make you feel better about it.
pow
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and Dad had an 05 A3 Sportback with a manual 2.0TDI 140, over 149k that averaged the same 49MPG, he never reset the trip computer and it used to do 750 miles in the week and I used to smash it round Combe once every 3 weeks.

[Edited on 01-08-2013 by pow]
antnee

1st Aug 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would map either one I get, I know the 1.6s go to about 135bhp and 240lb/ft which is around the figures of the 140bhp 2.0...
antnee

1st Aug 13 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow, my trip computer under reads my actual MPG. The old 2.0s were crap on economy, so the 49mpg is about right. Im averaging about 58mpg over a full week of 500miles motorway/a road then 100-150 miles around town
pow
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On your Ibiza? Both of mine were wildly out, used to be able to make it say 60mpg over 350 miles and it was more like 49-51. I've never made a diesel driving it properly over different roads make over 50 to the gallon.
pow
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found the 1.6 a bit gutless, maybe it was the DSG - Dad's 2.0 was far far brisker, used to drive that thing like a cunt Keep up with my mates 528i Landed with a fucking Prius now Wounded

Why don't you just keep the Ibiza, rack the miles up on it and get a weekend car...

[Edited on 01-08-2013 by pow]
bignev

1st Aug 13 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got the 1.6 in my caddy van i get around 500mile to a full tank give or take, thats a mixture of motorways and normal roads about town but as pow said very gutless, wouldnt have another
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Aug 13 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1.6 is slower than a Milkfloat. I had a 2.0tdi 140 SE in grey. It's actually for sale at the moment with Car Giant. Fantastic car.

Edit. Here it is: http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Volkswagen/Golf/5_Dr_Hatch/details-594231-Volkswagen-Golf-5_Dr_Hatch.asp?viewtype=0

[Edited on 01-08-2013 by VegasPhil]

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Matt L

2nd Aug 13 at 05:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get a blue motion version then mpgs are insane, my dads Passat will manage 60s all day long where as my Leon is lucky if it 45

That's both with the cr170 engine

[Edited on 02-08-2013 by Matt L]
antnee

2nd Aug 13 at 05:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of economy did you get from yours Phil?
Wrighty

2nd Aug 13 at 05:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno about the 09/10 engines. cant imagine theyre that much different to its previous incarnation?

i drive a 06 2.0 140bkd and get 600 miles per tank which is about 75-80 quid to fill up. can hardly say thats crap but its not a fast car at all

remaps on modern dervs are your friend but cant imagine driving a modern heavy golf with something like a 1.6 in
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Aug 13 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it was about 50mpg. Was cheap to run tbh.

Honestly steer away from the 1.6 unless you do moon miles up and down motorways.

[Edited on 02-08-2013 by VegasPhil]

pow
Premium Member

2nd Aug 13 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate says his little Up! feels quicker than the TDi Touran
Rob E

2nd Aug 13 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad traded his mk5 2.0 GTTDI140 in for a mk6 1.6TDI and has regretted it since Its terribly underpowered if your used to driving the 2.0

[Edited on 02-08-2013 by Rob E]
pow
Premium Member

2nd Aug 13 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad's just put in for a new company car, passat 1.6tdi is on the list, coming from someone who has a had two priuses, he's emailed me to ask if it could move

Ct200h plz
John

2nd Aug 13 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Passat is a bit big for that engine but I still don't know where all the negativity comes from?

It's a 1.6 diesel, it's not a sports car.

It's frugal and fast enough for around town, while sitting at motorway speeds no bother. Yes it's not as fast as the same car with a bigger engine, that's not a big surprise.
Gez G

2nd Aug 13 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a 1.6 TDi Octavia estate, was underpowered, now got a 2.0 TDi Passat, much nicer to drive.
Slightly lower mpg round town but better mpg on motorway as 2.0s are 6 speed gearboxes.
John

2nd Aug 13 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not all 2.0 are 6 speed.
Gez G

3rd Aug 13 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, majority of them are then - not seen one without6 speed box.
pow
Premium Member

3rd Aug 13 at 08:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Passat is a bit big for that engine but I still don't know where all the negativity comes from?

It's a 1.6 diesel, it's not a sports car.

It's frugal and fast enough for around town, while sitting at motorway speeds no bother. Yes it's not as fast as the same car with a bigger engine, that's not a big surprise.

Just think that a car should have a decent amount of power to pull down a motorway slip road and overtake without feeling like you're gripping the wheel for dear life. The 1.6TDi Touran (and the Passat I imagine) doesn't - you want the added ooomph of the 2.0. IMO of course - if you're allowed an opinion on this forum anymore

Gearbox probably doesn't make one bit of difference, you'll probably find 5th in a 5 speed and 6th in a 6 speed are very similar in ratio...

[Edited on 03-08-2013 by pow]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

3rd Aug 13 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I prefer more power over better mpg. Obviously there will be different opinions, hence the blue motion being such a hit.

The golf 1.6 tdi is slow. Its like choosing between the Astra 1.7cdti over the 1.9 150.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » VAG 1.6 vs 2.0 TDi engines 23 database queries in 0.0160668 seconds