corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » It pays to be a streamer...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author It pays to be a streamer...
DannyB
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Jan 14 at 02:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watching a DayZ stream and this guy 'JoshX23' comes in saying how he's inherited loads of money. next thing he makes a few small donations then out of no where a $1.2k donation then another $1k 5 minutes later. In the space of 10 minutes he donates just under $3k

Got screens of the big two, look in the screen at the top and you can just make it out on the donation bar. Hard to make out, he needs to adjust the text size actually.

Pic 1

Pic 2
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 14 at 03:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The concept of watching other people play video games is strange enough, never mind the fact its highly profitable.
DannyB
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 03:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Massive money in it, like serious amounts if you're popular. One guy I watch gets 5-8k viewers each stream, he streams 5 or 6 days a week. It's $4.99 to subscribe for a month and he probably gets on average 70-90 new subs per stream. He gets half of that $4.99 from each sub, plus he gets money for streaming adverts, plus thousands in donations per week.

I watch them when I can't be bothered playing.
Balling
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The concept of watching other people play video games is strange enough
No stranger than watching other people play football or any other sport, really.

AndyKent

19th Jan 14 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bizarre. Didn't even know this was a thing!
A2H GO

19th Jan 14 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The concept of watching other people play video games is strange enough
No stranger than watching other people play football or any other sport, really.

Might be no different but definately stranger.
jamied

19th Jan 14 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get bored watching my bro or mates playing games, cant imagine paying for the privilege!
Brett
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I son't mind watching mates, especially if I'm shit at the game. I wouldn't pay to watch tho, but it's cool people can make that much money doing it.
Y869 SRA

19th Jan 14 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Bizarre. Didn't even know this was a thing!

This
Sunz

19th Jan 14 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very weird.

I would never pay to watch someone play a video game, ever.
chris_uk
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i watched sacriel playing some new released game and his subscriptions are $4.99.. it makes a bing noise every time somone subscribes.. i think i worked out he made something like 2K in 45 mins.
DannyB
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 17:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah most of the younger streamers are doing it to put themselves through uni, then end up being really popular. It's a huge business these days, hence the consoles jumping in on the action.

Summit1g had a 'top donations' screen he has up inbetween changing servers or whatever and his top donator has gave him over 16k, I added them all up quickly and it was around the 80k mark

[Edited on 19-01-2014 by DannyB]
Y869 SRA

19th Jan 14 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought about doing the whole recording and uploading to Youtube a couple of years back but thought it'd take alot of time and effort to get followers and views. This seems alot more simple but now I no longer have the time
N16K

19th Jan 14 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have / had no idea this type of thing even existed. Still do not get why someone would pay to watch someone play a game. Or have I picked this up wrongly?
j10E W

19th Jan 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so someone pays a stranger they see playing a game online and decides to donate thousands to them?
Welsh Dan

19th Jan 14 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reeks of credit card fraud to me.
LukesCorsaSXi

19th Jan 14 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A streamer I watch flies his fans out to his house in Orlando, not matter where you're from, pays for your flights, accommodation, then all your food, drinks etc... then gives you a full setup of Razer Gear the day before you go home.

DannyB
Premium Member

19th Jan 14 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
Reeks of credit card fraud to me.

chris_uk
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 01:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N16K
have / had no idea this type of thing even existed. Still do not get why someone would pay to watch someone play a game. Or have I picked this up wrongly?

Usually well known streamers get early access to new games so people watch because they cant play themselves.. Its also a good way to see what a game is really like before buying it.
A2H GO

20th Jan 14 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I started a business the thing that shocked me the most was how many stupid people there are who will hand over money for anything. I'd estimate the world being made up of at least 50% stupid people so this hardly surprises me, business these days is all about finding new ways to capitalize on stupid people.

[Edited on 20-01-2014 by A2H GO]
ed

20th Jan 14 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll go far with that attitude.
Dom

20th Jan 14 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You'll go far with that attitude.

What i was thinking
John

20th Jan 14 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Ash, although wouldn't base a business on it.

You could definitely make a few bob doing it if it didn't keep you awake at night.

A good example of that sort of company that always comes to mind is the ones who will paint your roof for £5k.
Chrissy
Premium Member

20th Jan 14 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This dude: http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Article/How-Nadeshot-Became-An-eSports-Superstar-021243314049620

Is a professional Call of Duty player and regularly pulls 30k viewers on Twitch. Someone recently managed to gain access to his Youtube account where he has just hit 1M subscribers.. They screenshotted his analytics page which showed his Youtube revenue to be just over $10k a month. That's before his Twitch subscriber money.

Edit: In fact, here's the screenshot.

[Edited on 20-01-2014 by Chrissy]

>>>> Chris <<<<

Robbo

20th Jan 14 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I son't mind watching mates, especially if I'm shit at the game. I wouldn't pay to watch tho, but it's cool people can make that much money doing it.
same but paying someone is fuckign bent

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll