corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tool Tuesday

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tool Tuesday
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
28th Jan 14 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any alternatives to these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-17-Piece-Tool-1-2-Dr-Shallow-Sockets-6-Point-Hex-Tool-Set-10-32mm-/261144103104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ccd66c8c0

Want some 6 points on the short. Got long 6 and short 12 point, and I never use the 12 point, just don't find them as grippy.

18 quid the set looks OK but never used that brand.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jan 14 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missing the bigger stuff but better?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITOOL-HALLMARK-1-2-Drive-6-Point-Hexagon-SOCKET-SET-10-19mm-LHMSET10-/151058626564?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item232bcbb804
SVM 286

28th Jan 14 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Any alternatives to these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-17-Piece-Tool-1-2-Dr-Shallow-Sockets-6-Point-Hex-Tool-Set-10-32mm-/261144103104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ccd66c8c0

Want some 6 points on the short. Got long 6 and short 12 point, and I never use the 12 point, just don't find them as grippy.

18 quid the set looks OK but never used that brand.

Got some Bergen bits and bobs Ian. Not too bad stuff for so cheap. Been using one of their mini palm air buzz guns for ages and it still works great.

Can't go wrong for that money on those sockets btw.

12 point I only tend to buy as and when, for any specific repeat jobs that are fitted with bolts that require them. They will invariably tend to slip on a normal hex bolt head though.
Graeme
Premium Member

28th Jan 14 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bergen stuff is fine. In half inch I always use 6 point.

[Edited on 28-01-2014 by Graeme]
SVM 286

28th Jan 14 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Britool set may well be better, but for that money, unless you're beating the bejesus out of em daily, then you can't go wrong with the cheap set, especially as you get the extra sizes.

Are you likely to use air tools on them?
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Jan 14 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No all for hand stuff.

Might get an impact set at some point but I don't really bother with dragging the air line around the workshop, rather get a big bar on and take it easy.

I'll get impact sockets when I've a nice light electric impact driver.
SVM 286

28th Jan 14 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Bergens should be cool then Ian
ShEp

28th Jan 14 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bergen is decent.

If not mostly all too manufacturers will do that set, teng is decent and has the warranty.
Ste
Premium Member

28th Jan 14 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Missing the bigger stuff but better?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITOOL-HALLMARK-1-2-Drive-6-Point-Hexagon-SOCKET-SET-10-19mm-LHMSET10-/151058626564?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item232bcbb804

Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils

riiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhtttt

[Edited on 28-01-2014 by Ste]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jan 14 at 02:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noticed that, I've no idea either

Bought the Bergen set.

Also

Filter remover -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180747964329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

O2 socket -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261347454600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Still can't find hammers for sensible money, or indeed G clamps.
Ste
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 05:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-hickory-handle-ball-pein-hammer-16oz/36150

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 05:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/ball-pein-hammers/cat831072

Ste
Premium Member

29th Jan 14 at 05:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/club-lump-hammers/cat1470012

SVM 286

29th Jan 14 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Also

Filter remover -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180747964329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

O2 socket -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261347454600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

In my experience Ian, those chain removers are hopeless compared to a strap or a cup, or a large pair of swan necks.

Also, re the Lambda probe socket, there's loads of stuff you won't be able to get it on because of the height.

Sealey (I think), do a set of different shapes and sizes and only about two of them will fit most probes (usually the very shallow and open and/or crow's foot variant).

The last place I worked at, I was always either taking probes out with the appropriate sized spanner, or borrowing my pal's set that I mentioned above.

My very deep and very expensive Facom version that looks very much like the one you posted (only chrome), never got a look in. And still looks like new :-(
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jan 14 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used a chain one before and I found it OK. I didn't go for a strap because I thought it would get mucky and horrible. Chain at least you can wipe down and it'll stay lubricated but not dirty as such.

Lambda socket is really only for Ford ones in top of the manifold so that will suit.

Saw the sets but they were a lot more expensive and I've limited use for the stuff other than at 22mm.

Did confuse me slightly they were all 3/8th drive but I'll see how it feels, should still do the job.
SVM 286

29th Jan 14 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool. As long as you can get access with what you're getting

I only mentioned the chain ones being an issue as they tend to tear the filter and make a horrid mess, or they slip, or deform/break in my experience.

My strap one just gets sprayed with brake cleaner and left out to dry if it gets oily

You can get a couple of different styles/designs of metal strap one. They are excellent if you have the right sort of access.
SVM 286

29th Jan 14 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw, re hammers, Thor do some good ones, as do Blue Point and they aren't horribly dear either.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jan 14 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strap filter removers are cheaper too

Probably try Screwfix for the hammers.

Still leaves G clamps.
SVM 286

30th Jan 14 at 01:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a lovely yellow and black G clamp for my Dad from Robert Dyas if I remember correctly Ian.

Dunno if it's cast or forged but it's a Stanley one, it's really nicely made and it was very reasonably priced.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Feb 14 at 02:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next potential purpose, don't normally go for gimmicks but that could be useful?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-44004-EXPERT-EXTENSION-BAR-WITH-LED-1-2-Sq-Dr-/310154268640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4836a28fe0
pow
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a bloody good idea. I could think of a couple of places that it could be very useful!
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a tool tuesday (late) question.

For high torque applications, is it better to use a 6point or 12point wrench/socket?

I always thought 6, as my impact sockets are 6 - but I read the other day to use a 12.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Feb 14 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are not many times I'd use 12 except for where space is limited and you need to start it somewhere other than one of the 6 choices.

High torque for me says more likely to slip - which says 6. Can't think why you'd want to reduce the amount of area that you are using.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Can't think why you'd want to reduce the amount of area that you are using.

That was my thoughts too, more contact patch = less chance of slipping.

Can't remember where I read to use 12 now, it was in a guide somewhere - guess it was either a typo or ill informed, unless someone can explain otherwise.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Feb 14 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only reason I can think is that you might do yourself less injury if you've more control where it starts. But by the time you've unplugged the 6 side and moved it round on the square on the handle, you've quite a few choices anyway.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Tool Tuesday 23 database queries in 0.0164030 seconds