corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skiers/Boarders
Robbo

User status: Offline
12th Feb 14 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went skiing once (1997), always wanted to go again but circumstances never worked. Been determined to try and go next season and so want to try and do some classes before I go. Friends have been convincing me that as I will jhave to start from sratch basically anyway, that I should try boarding first as can do skiing when im older and having watched some of the olympics i have decided to do that. Started lookign at some beginners courses and found these 2 at Hemel and MK:

https://snozoneuk.com/beginner MK
Become ready for the slopes in a day! Your instructor will cover all 4 sessions of our beginner programme.

8 hrs beginners day with equipment at £160

http://www.thesnowcentre.com/adult-lessons Hemel
Courses start at Level 1 and will guide adults only (17yrs+) through 5 hours of instruction, giving you the perfect foundations to continue to develop your newfound skills. Plus, we'll throw in lunch and drinks on the day in our Alpine themed restaurant- The Lodge Bar & Kitchen.

5 hrs beginners day with equipment £190 / £170

Any suggestions/advice about either of those welcome, they are both much of a muchness in terms of getting there and dont think theres anythign better closer to London. But main question is, fine do a days course but then whats next? More tuition, simple practice or actually go on a trip?!
ed

12th Feb 14 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those sorts of lessons are too long for a beginner to do. They're also a total scam, you're not ready for the mountains after a few hours indoors; the terrain on the mountains varies whilst indoors it's heavily controlled so you might find yourself at the top of a steep slope on a blue run in France with no way of getting down it.

My advice would be to take some shorter lessons indoors to get used to things and then when you're in the mountains, take a few lessons with an instructor. You'll get far more out of your holiday because the instructor will not only teach you to ski/board properly but they'll also guide you around and show you the best runs (and cafes).
Jay

12th Feb 14 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree about the instructor, when I went most of my first day was on the "nursery slope" learning the basics and then the rest of the week we were up the mountains. Wouldn't bother with them lessons before you go.
JordyCarter

12th Feb 14 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to go skiing so I have an excuse to buy some gucci ski goggles :\
RichR
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice would be to have 2 or 3 taster sessions on a dry slope before moving to indoor. Dry tends to be cheaper and more focused on individuals or small groups rather than larger group sessions plus, if you can master the basics on dry, it'll be relatively easy on indoor snow.
Robbo

12th Feb 14 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks guys! issue mainly is, there is one (shitty) facility in chiswick and thats it... nothing else in london at all (absurdly) so i dont really have the option of doign the odd one or 2 here and there.

think from what other people have said combined with your feedbacks, best bet would be to do soemthing like this (i can afford it so not too fussed that it may be too much etc) then probs best to go on a holiday and do ski school in the mornings and go off on my own/with friends in the afternoons
Joe

12th Feb 14 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a full day session of snowboarding in manchester a few years ago. I didn't grasp it as well as some of the other lot so once they were all getting the hang of it I was still struggling and didn't get much one on one time to try and get me up to speed.

I enjoyed it but if I went again I'd pretty much need to do the whole thing again I think, so don't expect to be flying down the slope after just a few hours in my experience.
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had about four years of inactivity between a skiing holiday and doing an indoor slope in the UK. Picked it back up within minutes, no need for lessons

Maybe try a one hour recreational session, start on the baby slope and see how you get on.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Cavey

12th Feb 14 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could just get a days worth of lessons once you get to the resort?
Rob_Quads

12th Feb 14 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've heard mixed things about the Snowboard in a day. I know a couple have said it was a great thing to do and it made such a difference when they got on the real slopes.
I've also known 1 who said they found it very boring but they seemed to pick it up well.

What do I take away from that. It depends how well you get on how much use it is. Personally I would maybe do a half day lesson. See how you get on and if you struggle do another half day.

It may seem expensive these lessons but when you consider how much it costs you to be on the slopes its worth the investment at home to make the most of using the real slopes
ed

12th Feb 14 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing to do is to get to a stage where you're not spending time on the nursery slope when you're out on holiday.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Totally agree with Ed, there'll be nothing worse than everyone you go with raving about how awesome a particular run is that you have no hope of reaching without having a uk based head start.
Robbo

12th Feb 14 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
The thing to do is to get to a stage where you're not spending time on the nursery slope when you're out on holiday.
precisely, thats what i want to achieve i guess
Robbo

12th Feb 14 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Could just get a days worth of lessons once you get to the resort?
i could, im just keen to try before i go to make sure i enjoy it and can vaguely manage it etc.
ed

12th Feb 14 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting some lessons in resort would be useful too. A lot of people could benefit from lessons when they're out there but for some reason don't go for it, they tend to struggle too. Lessons in resort aren't what you'd expect, think of it more like guiding - your instructor will take you and your mates out to some decent runs and show you around. If you need some help with your skiing then they'll do that
Aaron

12th Feb 14 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having lessons is good, but it obviously doesn't fully prepare you for the real thing.

I had my first boarding holiday in Meribel, and when i strapped on my board on the first morning....it was the first time i'd ever had a board strapped to me feet (i.e i did no lessons what so ever)

The good-ish thing here is that the lad i was with was in exactly the same situation, so we were equally as shit. Frustratingly though, it wasn't until the last day of the week when i actually got ok at staying on my feet. Not a great week.

To sum up, lessons would be good to get the basics of boarding at least.

My top tips are:

Get fit before you go
Get as much strength in your legs as possible
ALWAYS keep your legs bent
Wrist guards, elbow and knee pads, a crash had and ass pads (cycling shorts with padding all around) are worth their weight in gold.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 20:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would never wear wrist guards. The only protection I wear is a helmet and a back protector-never needed anything else. My missus uses knee protectors and impact shorts but she's more prone to falling over!!
Aaron

12th Feb 14 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's fair enough, each to their own really.
Rob_Quads

12th Feb 14 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wrist guards are an interesting one - Some say don't, some say do. I personally have them build into my gloves and find them to be good. A helmet is a must no matter what. Thankfully its starting to become more the norm.

Also build strength in your arms as you will be pushing yourself up LOADs to start with and your arms take a real hit.
Graeme
Premium Member

12th Feb 14 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your learning I highly recommend padded shorts. I didn't but I was about 12 when I learnt to board.

Now I use my motocross shorts and for the odd falling over it does save your arse and coccyx.

Helmet with out a doubt most people wear them now do it's more "in" and obviously can save your life.

A few light lessons would be good imo. Maybe a couple of hours 1 to 1 and then go onto the slope on your own for a few hours.

Nothing worse than being stick on small slopes when your mates are away on the bigger stuff.
antscorsa

12th Feb 14 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a few ski holidays at school but about 6 years later had a board in day session at MK and thought it was great!
Definitely helped me when i was out there and i didn't have any more lessons after that, more just trial and error and to just go for it.
Since then have been back to do the freestyle in a day course which was even more fun.

Cavey

12th Feb 14 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't have any protective gear last time I went (second week I've ever done) First week bum protection would of been helpful, second time, only fell a couple of times, and they were forward, if you're taught how to fall, you're generally ok, unless you're flying. Next time I'll have a helmet fo sho though
CorsAsh

12th Feb 14 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knee protectors are good when you're starting as you'll spend a lot of time kneeling (or sitting). Helmets are also a must, and gloves with wrist protectors are worth having too. I have some from Level with a pivoting protector instead of a rigid plastic lump. When you're more confident and picking up speed then a back protector is good too. I fell a couple of weeks ago, cracked my helmet and really hurt my spine, took it as a warning and now have a Dainese back protector.

On the subject of going from ski to snowboard, I skied when I was younger, then left it about ten years, hated skiing when I tried to pick it up again but got straight into snowboarding and now love it. The skiing at least gave me a bit of a feel for what moving around on snow is like.

[Edited on 12-02-2014 by CorsAsh]
Robbo

13th Feb 14 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Getting some lessons in resort would be useful too. A lot of people could benefit from lessons when they're out there but for some reason don't go for it, they tend to struggle too. Lessons in resort aren't what you'd expect, think of it more like guiding - your instructor will take you and your mates out to some decent runs and show you around. If you need some help with your skiing then they'll do that
no absolutely, from what a few friends and you guys have said, its best to mix it up and do some basic prep here then go for lessons in resort, as you say - added beenfits other than just teaching
Skylined

13th Feb 14 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've already done it before you won't need 8 hours of lessons.

When I learnt I just had one lesson at MK and then went on the main slope. I'd say book one at Hemel and see how you get on, maybe another if you feel you need it.
These 4/8 hour lessons are a scam, there's no way your legs will be up to it if you haven't built up and conditioned them first. And tbf, after 2/3 hours you'll be bored and knackered anyway...it's hard work.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders 23 database queries in 0.0159791 seconds