corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fuel Pumps

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fuel Pumps
Andrew

User status: Offline
16th Oct 14 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I generally fill up at Morrisons but sometimes i use Shell. Morrisions is the closest to my house but i pass a Shell station on the way home and when i leave Liverpool visiting friends and family.

I always brim the tank. I allow the pump to click and go to the nearest pound.

Morrisons advertise the fuel cheaper, however at Shell i'm always £3 - £4 cheaper.

My question really is whether Morrisions are ripping us off or do the pumps click sooner at Shell?

Between out 2 cars, we easy spend £100 a week on fuel, most weeks more - i.e. this week i filled up Monday and have done again this evening. Over the past 6 months that is quite a chunk of money!
GB123
Premium Member

16th Oct 14 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely the easy way to tell is look how many litres have been dispensed?
Andrew

16th Oct 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
Surely the easy way to tell is look how many litres have been dispensed?

Could also be lies but will rule out if the pump cuts out sooner.
John

16th Oct 14 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even easier way to tell would be to look at how many miles you've done after each full tank (averaged over a few times obviously).
Andrew

16th Oct 14 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Even easier way to tell would be to look at how many miles you've done after each full tank (averaged over a few times obviously).

That's not really going to work for me. Some weeks i could be working in Wales, others in Leeds. I have no idea day to day where i am working. The conditions of the roads amend your driving style dramatically.

I'd be better shooting myself in the head than asking the mrs to monitor her fuel usage.

One of the reasons i like to use Morrisons is because i know at some point i will return home - plus we have £30 in vouchers in the past 6 months of living here.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

16th Oct 14 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather not worry over £200 a year...
Andrew

17th Oct 14 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
I'd rather not worry over £200 a year...

I'd rather have my £200 as would any middle class employee.
Ben G

17th Oct 14 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not worrying over 200 quid a year

Portfolio's everywhere.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Oct 14 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£4 a week isnt worth worrying about. I wouldnt loose any sleep over if. Its not like you can do anything about it and if you wanted to do something about it by all the time you have wasted you wont of actually saved anything.

To be fair i cant even remeber how much it costs to fill my car up at different petrol stations. Its just part of life you have a car and you need petrol. I couldnt even tell you what the price of fuel is tbf

[Edited on 18-10-2014 by VrsTurbo]
Ben G

18th Oct 14 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you wouldn't mind dropping £4 a week from your wallet?

Just seems a very odd attitude to have.

I probably waste that a week on rubbish, but I still wouldn't like to lose that money as such.
deano87

18th Oct 14 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rumour has it the colder it is the denser the petrol, so time of day may have something to do with it.

Our Sainsburys pumps have stickers on to say when they were last calibrated.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 14 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a very accurate way to measure, could be down to the pump design if its clicking off at different times. Also it won't be at the same point when empty.

I wouldn't think if one place is cheaper it can cost more to go there. Sure they're fairly well regulated.
SVM 286

18th Oct 14 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
£4 a week isnt worth worrying about.

You ought to try a spot of poverty on for size Mister Turbo.

That might give you a more rounded and reasoned perspective on life in general, rather than just generalising and making sweeping statements.

Four quid to many people is the difference between just scraping by and being in debt.

If your earnings are four pounds a week more than your outgoings then you can probably cope. If they are four pounds less, then you are on a slow and miserable spiral.

So £4 a week is most definitely worth worrying about. It just depends on your perspective and whether or not you are lucky enough to be blessed with disposable income.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Oct 14 at 18:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all about sacrifice. I've been in debt before and it was my fault. I got out of it by cutting back. I'm now lucky enough to have disposable income. I proberly spend more than £4 a week on driving a different way home.
SVM 286

18th Oct 14 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed.

But if one is on the bread line with little other option, a seemingly inconsequential sum of money can be the difference between bliss and misery. This is why for many people, carefully monitoring things such as fuel expenses can be critical.

I was in this boat a few years ago when the crook that bought the firm I worked for, chipped away at our money by first removing the tiny amount of overtime we did. Then enforcing an unpaid hour's lunch each day. Then changing our pay from a weekly wage to a monthly salary.

The net result personally was that in a very short period of time I went from being able to meet my financial obligations without issue and having a small sum left over, to being in an ongoing increasing position of debt.

Horrendous situation.

(he then capped this all by going insolvent without warning at 4pm on a Friday, owing us all five week's money plus holiday etc)
Robin
Premium Member

18th Oct 14 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Andrew was below the poverty line he'd be driving a shit car....

[Edited on 18-10-2014 by Robin]
Andrew

18th Oct 14 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see where VrsTurbo is coming having better things to do with your time. £4 is the price of a sandwich these days.

Just seems very odd to me but has happened frequent.

I will keep an eye on receipts over the next few weeks.
Andrew

18th Oct 14 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
If Andrew was below the poverty line he'd be driving a shit car....

All my cars are shit, it's just how i like them

We are far from poverty! I'm just a tight arse

[Edited on 18-10-2014 by Andrew]
Ben G

18th Oct 14 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might aswell be in poverty with the amount of money the missus wastes on shit.
Andrew

18th Oct 14 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is the same Ben. We don't have a joint account for this reason.
Ben G

18th Oct 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's where i'm going wrong she does better than me. Brand new car every year, only pays a 25% share of the bills, compared to my 75% and even has me bail her out when she's overdrawn.

Bloody women!
Bonney

19th Oct 14 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The pumps are well monitored by customs and excise and also the local trading standards and are calibrated regularly.

£3 or £8 difference in filling could be down to amount of fuel left in vehicle. I'd just get a receipt for the next 5 or 6 fill ups from each garage, fill with the exact same amount, say £40 a time, and see what amount of fuel you get for your money. The only downfall with this is fuel prices fluctuate by 1 or 2 pence per litre at the moment so this needs taking into account.

As for fuel usage from the two stations I'd be looking at fuel quality. For example the fuel from morrisons may well be a lower quality of fuel than that from shell.

Russ

19th Oct 14 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
£4 is the price of a sandwich these days.

maybe at shell... not at morrisons
Andrew

19th Oct 14 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what sandwich you get.
pow
Premium Member

20th Oct 14 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
That's where i'm going wrong she does better than me. Brand new car every year, only pays a 25% share of the bills, compared to my 75% and even has me bail her out when she's overdrawn.

Bloody women!

You deffo need to sort that one out

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fuel Pumps 22 database queries in 0.0164769 seconds