corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Returning a part ex'd car...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Returning a part ex'd car...
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Nov 14 at 00:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate of mine has just got a MK2 focus RS, about a month ago. He's not that clued up on cars. And I didn't go with him to buy it
Part ex'd his fiesta st and got the rest financed.

Now I've had a look over the car. And to be fair there's a few bits I'm not too happy with. For example the garage said they will put two brand new tyres on the front. Just noticed there's patches on the sidewalls of tyres, with what looks like a liquid rubber over it they've tried to disguise it with. Also the date stamps on the front tyres are from 11th week 2005.

The front bumper is a slightly different colour. There's a bit of black overspray on the bumper from when the grills must of been painted, the light washers that come out the bumpers are both loose, both wings look like they've been blown in on the front.
Fog light is held in from the back with duct tape
Chap at the garage said the car has only had one previous owner, the new logbook has came with two previous owners.
The guy that fitted "the new tyres" has lost one of the wheel centre caps and scratched the other wheel
And I that's what I've found without even getting it on a ramp...

Going to take it back this weekend, and he's told me he wants all the niggly bit sorting or he doesn't want the car any more.
Where does he stand? If he wanted rid, Would he have to get his old car back?
Would they refund the full price of the car to him?
How does it work.i know by law he has 6 months warrantee on it. But how does the finance and part ex affect that if atall
John

15th Nov 14 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres you might have a case with but the rest he'll have no chance. A mate not being happy after a month isn't grounds for returning a car.

I can also imagine the sort of guys running a garage selling a dodgy focus rs, let us know how that goes.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 00:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I say I've not looked underneath it yet. No idea what it's like under there. If it's solid wih no other problems, they sort the tyres and the bodywork. He will keep it.
All depends on what's under Neath haha

One of the tyres in question

Can't see it too well but in the second picture, you can see an outline of the new stuff they've used to try fill in the gap? Horrible job.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 00:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wont sort the bodywork out. why didnt he notice the bumper and wings being crap?
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Nov 14 at 00:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with John, tyres perhaps. The rest you'll struggle.
Brett
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 02:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't get 6 month warranty by law do you? It's a month isn't it?
random dav
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 02:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Front bumpers are always slightly a different colour. Bodywork.... It's a second hand car at the end of the day its not going to be in 'as new' condition plus it's buyer beware.

I'd be pissed at the tyres tho.

WRLFC !

Project cars
richardworrall
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its normally a month or a 1000 mile warranty from most garages. If he gets nowhere with the garage himself contact the finance company as they effectively 'own the car' and tell them about the defects and they can then persue the garage to sort out any serious issues.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I say he doesn't really know much about cars so he didn't notice. Bought it in a hurry, he admits that.
Getting it on a ramp in abit to have a look under it.

Thought by law you've got a decent warranty when t comes to actual car sales places?
John

15th Nov 14 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's also a month old, can you prove that the car came in that condition, even if there was anything wrong with it?
Ian W

15th Nov 14 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with what's already been said, you may get somewhere with the tyres but that's it, you can't go back a month after buying it and say, actually I fancy one in better condition so can I have my money back, it's not happening.

Can't even see you getting far with the tyres, what's to stop the guy saying you just fitted some part worns yourself and are going back trying to do him out of a new set of tyres? A month is way too long tbh.

Seller sounds pretty dodgy anyway.
Nic Barnes

15th Nov 14 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as that's been vulcanised properly that tyre will be fine.
Corsa_Sport21

15th Nov 14 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe they have genuinely forgot to replace the tyres and had nothing to do with the repair.
Nic Barnes

15th Nov 14 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most garages won't have the facility to repair tyres like that so yeah probably
Wrighty

15th Nov 14 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said above the paintwork on the front bumpers was always mismatched even on the ST's. if you're gonna buy a car like that and dont know what your doing, you'd atleast take someone with you
--ToM--

15th Nov 14 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Allways risky buying a car like that as there a favourite for drug lords and Scallys to just abuse then flog on so garages end up with badly repaired tarted up abused shitboxes sounds like your mates ended up with one, sllthough the bumpers is pretty normall the paint on a plastic bumper compared to a metal wing allways looks a bit different, fitting tyres with sidewall repairs to a car capable of fairly high speeds etc is dangerous though
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't mean the body work isn't good we want to return it haha. Just ment there's loads of little bits that make it seem and dodgey. Like it's probably had a front end repair at some time.
Anyways. Had a good look under it today in work. It all seems alright to be honest. Bit of surface rust on a few bits but nothing major and all the suspension and that is fine.
So. Took it back and mentioned about the tyres. Had abit of a farce with the guy not believing they were in safe. But he eventually agreed to pay for two more part warns of our choice to be fitted.

So all works out well.

Just as I'm curious, how does returning a part ex'd car work anyways? Do you get all the money back or what?
Ben G

15th Nov 14 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The front tyres will wear out within 6,000 miles anyway.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So he should keep ones with dodgey patches on them because they will ware out anyway?
John

15th Nov 14 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might as well keep them if the replacment is part worns.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

15th Nov 14 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But he is going to get part worns without gash dangerous patches in the side of them....

He's not bothered about the tread, it's just the fact they sold a dangerous set of tyres to him.

[Edited on 15-11-2014 by FlaFFy_91]
--ToM--

15th Nov 14 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair side wall repairs are not illegal but only certified tyre houses can do them the tyre place we use will repair a puncture but if it's a side wall repair for example on a neaRly new tyre with loads of tread they will send it away and have it repaired/vulcanised. I doubt this would be legal if it was in any way dangerous, but I totally agree why he doesn't want them on his car I wouldn't either. Especially if the agreement was to supply it with two new fronts and it's got 2 part worns fitted as he's obviously told porkies
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Nov 14 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I'd take whatever was the most round, seen some shocking "nearly new" tyres which look like 50p when you spin them up.
--ToM--

15th Nov 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also with a side wall repair they are a nightmare to balance up lol
Ben G

15th Nov 14 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
So he should keep ones with dodgey patches on them because they will ware out anyway?

Ware out? What does that mean?

Part worns can have puncture repairs aswell. They could even have ridiculously old dates of manufacture stamped in the sidewalls.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Returning a part ex'd car... 23 database queries in 0.0139499 seconds