corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Snow tyres
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
18th Dec 14 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo
Balling
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Winter tyres.

If I recall correctly, this is the debate that caused Seth to rage quit.

And again, the major benefit of winter tyres isn't grip on snow and ice, but grip on cold (below 8 C) asphalt.

Robin
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need some as my rear tyres are very low
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Dec 14 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whatever they're called, that's quite damaging to the 'its how you drive it' corner.
tom130691
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 11:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Whatever they're called, that's quite damaging to the 'its how you drive it' corner.

Needs to be a back to back test, beamer could have more sophisticated traction control.

lots of factors to take in to account,
tom130691
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

back to back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHRnmSxJ64
A1EX

18th Dec 14 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to use studded winter tyres by law on all cars in Finland from end of October to end of March. Make a rough sound when going over just normal tarmac and noise in the car is quite loud too. They do make quite a difference though you definately need them in some areas.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think it's ever been in dispute that winter tyres work better, on snow, than summer tyres do. It's more that for most people, summer tyres still work ok for pretty much all of winter.

As someone who used to work in a bit of a shady back street garage, that had a big tyre depot over the road, I used to go over, pretty much daily, to pick tyres up and it was very rare that I ever asked for a brand, I'd almost always be sent over for 'budgets' or in other words, the cheapest thing they had in the right size and it's purely because people don't want to spend loads on tyres when they don't have to, so people know that winter tyres are better in the same way they know a set of Pirellis are better than their Camacs but the Pirellis are £80 a piece whereas the Camacs are £35, but the Camacs can still get them to wherever they want to go apart from very odd snowy occasions, when they want to go up a hill.

The problem is it's hard to quantify what the extra money is getting you. In some cases it probably doesn't cost anymore money when you look at the overall cost and life of both sets of tyres but it's the idea of spending a few hundred pounds on something that you already have where I think people struggle.
3CorsaMeal

18th Dec 14 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They made a noticable difference on my corrado , only put them on the front wheels, but pulling away was a massive difference.
JonnyJ

18th Dec 14 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I don't think it's ever been in dispute that winter tyres work better, on snow, than summer tyres do. It's more that for most people, summer tyres still work ok for pretty much all of winter.

As someone who used to work in a bit of a shady back street garage, that had a big tyre depot over the road, I used to go over, pretty much daily, to pick tyres up and it was very rare that I ever asked for a brand, I'd almost always be sent over for 'budgets' or in other words, the cheapest thing they had in the right size and it's purely because people don't want to spend loads on tyres when they don't have to, so people know that winter tyres are better in the same way they know a set of Pirellis are better than their Camacs but the Pirellis are £80 a piece whereas the Camacs are £35, but the Camacs can still get them to wherever they want to go apart from very odd snowy occasions, when they want to go up a hill.

The problem is it's hard to quantify what the extra money is getting you. In some cases it probably doesn't cost anymore money when you look at the overall cost and life of both sets of tyres but it's the idea of spending a few hundred pounds on something that you already have where I think people struggle.

This is pretty much my view. Certainly dont question that they will perform better in the conditions, its more, I've survived 10 winters so far without them, i've driven in awful conditions and managed ok, is the £300+ outlay for them really going to be worth my while? Every year the answer is no, i get through without any heart stopping slides, near misses and I've never got stuck. Of course that doesnt mean im immune to that, its just from a purely statistical point of view i arent seeing the value. Number of winters ive driven - 10, Number of times I've needed special tyres to get to my destination - 0.

Maybe if i had plenty of disposable income I'd invest, but thats not the case. They seem a luxury to me, not a necessity. Maybe next year.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is 100% for the idiots that think it will make them invincible in there cars. Rather than learning to drive better.
random dav
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put some on a few years ago, made a huge difference.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Jimbothebarbarian

18th Dec 14 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put a set on the hearse I actually thought I'd read it wrong and accidentally bought snow simulation tires instead...
Nic Barnes

18th Dec 14 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
It is 100% for the idiots that think it will make them invincible in there cars. Rather than learning to drive better.
thats not true. its just you being internet for the sake of it.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of the people I have come across are like this.

Comments such as

"Oh il be ok this year if it snows I have snow tyres fitted to my car"

No you will be ok anyway if you take it easy and learn some clutch control and gearing.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Dec 14 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could say the same for anyone who claims they'll manage on 225 summer things, which they may well do. But there is a definite benefit.

Doesn't even need to be that much more expensive? If you have the storage then you're not wearing your summer tyres when these are fitted so unless its massively more expensive per gram of rubber then you're not all that worse off.
Jimbothebarbarian

18th Dec 14 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Comments such as

No you will be ok anyway if you take it easy and learn some clutch control and gearing.

What's rattled your cage sweetie? Has somebody rubbed you up the wrong way over this?
Nic Barnes

18th Dec 14 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Comments such as

they will be better off so yes they are correct.
JonnyJ

18th Dec 14 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Could say the same for anyone who claims they'll manage on 225 summer things, which they may well do. But there is a definite benefit.

Doesn't even need to be that much more expensive? If you have the storage then you're not wearing your summer tyres when these are fitted so unless its massively more expensive per gram of rubber then you're not all that worse off.

We have sod all storage so wouldnt work for me. Whilst in the long run, its not going to cost much more, the outlay just before xmas is unwanted. Then you've got the arse about fitting them, taking them off after winter and getting them refitted again next year, just a pain in the arse really. Maybe im just lazy.

Personally, had i started getting them since i started driving my bank balance would be worse off to the tune of a fair few hundred quid [based on buying say 2 sets over 10 years and offset against the extra few sets of £15 PWs i need] for no/little benefit so im glad i didnt.
Ben G

18th Dec 14 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live in the south east so summer tyres do me fine.

I got stuck once getting up my road which is on quite a steep hill. All I had to do was dig through until I reached tarmac so I could get the car moving.

Once moving, it was fine.

After seeing the amount Scotland gets regularly, i'd be inclined to purchase them if i lived there.
SVM 286

18th Dec 14 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

That's rather impressive.

3 Series sounds terribly farty though.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Dec 14 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also people assume a 4wd car means all four wheels will be providing power at the same time. Unless the car has diff lock, only one front and one rear will be powered in slippery conditions. Granted that's still better than the one of a fwd though
John

18th Dec 14 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or you've got a new 4wd without diff lock which will be using breaking to do the same.
gazza808

18th Dec 14 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once a wheel on an axle (front or rear) looses traction all the power goes to the wheel spinning so it's not powering them both really any more, need diff locks or lsds.

Was replying to a message that swiftly disappeared

[Edited on 18-12-2014 by gazza808]
John

18th Dec 14 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or electronics which will use the brakes to achieve the same thing.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Snow tyres 23 database queries in 0.0123971 seconds