corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Red Top Engine Rebuild

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Red Top Engine Rebuild
l88fty
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Jul 15 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over the forthcoming winter I want to start working on a new engine for my Corsa, I dont want anything stupidly powerful I am simply looking for a stock redtop c20xe engine for doing a show bay & a slight gain on performance and nothing more.

Ideally I would like to purchase one that has just been rebuilt or from someone who can supply & rebuild it for me.

Anyone on here able to do this or recommend someone in the Midlands that does?

Thank you.

Lofty

LN Customs - Lincolnshires Award Winning Enthusiasts Motoring Club
Web:lncustoms.co.uk Email: Lofty (Club Manager) Tel: 07876220929
Gaz

30th Jul 15 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by l88fty
I dont want anything stupidly powerful...

You will once you get a taste for it
Generation

30th Jul 15 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want engine builders to take you seriously, don't use the phrase redtop.

Have you looked on eBay? Usually some rebuilt ones on there, but you don't know until it's too late if they're any good. Think you'd be better off widening your area, and asking somebody to post one to you
Ian W

30th Jul 15 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I would look for a car with a 'Redtop' in so you can hear it run and drive the car - I went through three on my previous Corsa, the one I bought that was fully rebuilt by a well known person was utter shite, leaked from every possible area and tapped it's head off.

I wouldn't buy one blind unless it was from a mate that I trusted.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its easy to do DIY, i'd never done an engine before i did my megane and i did a full top to bottom refresh.
3CorsaMeal

30th Jul 15 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd gather the parts and either get someone to put them together for you or do some of it yourself.

Its the only way to be sure imo, too many bullshitters about and people thinking a full rebuild is just taking it apart and making a few bits shiny again.

Guy on Corrado forum paid £3k for a drive in drive out full rebuild and hardly any miles later he has all the same noises as before.

I've done most of the work on mine myself and spent about £3k, so can't see how anyone could remove, rebuild and refit an engine for the same price. I suspect they just replace a few gaskets and wipe the oil off the metal parts.
--ToM--

30th Jul 15 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll build one for you
l88fty
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation
If you want engine builders to take you seriously, don't use the phrase redtop.

Have you looked on eBay? Usually some rebuilt ones on there, but you don't know until it's too late if they're any good. Think you'd be better off widening your area, and asking somebody to post one to you

There's a few on ebay at the moment, some cheap that need rebuilding and thought that might be a better path to do down then.

Kieran
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not hard it do your self. I completely stripped and renewed everything inside and out and I didn't at the time have a bloody clue. I just did a lot of research. And now it's running sweet. So it can be done by your self
l88fty
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kieran
It's not hard it do your self. I completely stripped and renewed everything inside and out and I didn't at the time have a bloody clue. I just did a lot of research. And now it's running sweet. So it can be done by your self

I don't have the space to do it, only reason I'm trying to find someone else to do it for me.

taylorboosh

30th Jul 15 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
I'll build one for you

Yes, id own another tom engine
--ToM--

30th Jul 15 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awww thanks mate let me build one for the banana
taylorboosh

30th Jul 15 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit far lol
Generation

30th Jul 15 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure how much space people think they need?

Always hear "don't have space to build engine" don't have space to do engine conversion:/

How can you not have space to do a conversion, if you have space to park
Your car, you have space for conversion
Jason x
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think he just means he doesn't know what he's doing...

I wouldn't know what I'm doing either btw so no I insult intended.
Generation

30th Jul 15 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just say that, Id that's the case. Nothing to be ashamed of
Jason x
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not ashamed
AndyCorsaSport

30th Jul 15 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Always hear "don't have space to build engine" don't have space to do engine conversion:/

That makes sense. I have space to park my car outside my house. Or on the drive. But I wouldn't build an engine there and leave it outside. The guy may not have a garage.
gidged500
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best bet is to try and find one thats running that way you can evaluate the condition of the engine.
Or you can buy one that's out of a car - bit of a risk with the age of these engines. But may pay off

If you are having it rebuilt anyway I would just buy a reasonably priced one - not the cheapest (it's the cheapest for a reason) or the highest (usually over priced)

No shame in not being confident enough to strip the engine and rebuild it.

I would recommend one man and one man only for an engine rebuild - in Oldham Manchester - Adam Beard or Beardy (BNS Autos)

Hopefully that helps a little
l88fty
Premium Member

30th Jul 15 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you.

I don't want to do it myself, because if it goes wrong I want something to fall back on.

I have 2 garages, both have cars in as we dont have a drive/parking space(flat block) and with the Corsa & her DS3 in the garages they isnt even room to swing a cat - council garages are shockingly small.

Generation

31st Jul 15 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
quote:

That makes sense. I have space to park my car outside my house. Or on the drive. But I wouldn't build an engine there and leave it outside. The guy may not have a garage.

I was referring to conversion part, which is why that sentence started with "how can you not have space to do a conversion"
--ToM--

31st Jul 15 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id only do one in work, my days of scrabbling round the driveways and small garages at home are gone, so much easier in the right place with the right gear.
AndyCorsaSport

31st Jul 15 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was referring to conversion part, which is why that sentence started with "how can you not have space to do a conversion"

I see that you fuckin spastic. I just missed the part where he's asked for someone to do the conversion, and where he's said he doesn't have space to do a conversion. He's asked for an engine building.
taylorboosh

31st Jul 15 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contrary to belief an engine and box out of a xar does take up a lot of space, its not easy to move either

It also a lot bigger when in bits
Generation

31st Jul 15 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see that you fuckin spastic. I just missed the part where he's asked for someone to do the conversion, and where he's said he doesn't have space to do a conversion. He's asked for an engine building.

Why have you started name calling? We're having a conversation.
I know, which is why I spoke about space for that, using quotation marks, then spoke about conversions without quotation marks because I wasn't quoting him. So no need to start crying.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Red Top Engine Rebuild 23 database queries in 0.0149119 seconds