corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Japan tsunami/earthquake

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Japan tsunami/earthquake
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Mar 11 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has he burnt that coat yet
sand-eel

14th Mar 11 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

So you actually had a nuclear explosion on top of it

There was no nuclear explosion...as they just can't explode like that.
It was just another hydrogen explosion but since its such a shit design the reactor ruptured and the hydrogen explosion, exploded all the radioactive shit everywhere.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how come there were people that suffered radiation blindness and scorch marks on nearby bridges etc.

iv done a lot of reading up on chernobyl in the past and am 90% sure there was a nuclear based explosion of some kind
Ojc

14th Mar 11 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was the core exposed to the outside world and people looking at the flame you imbecile
Steve
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
That was the core exposed to the outside world and people looking at the flame you imbecile
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Mar 11 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having read that link that explains it, it's clear this problem and the Chernobyl one have fairly different circumstances.
sand-eel

14th Mar 11 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sure your not getting confused with nagasaki or hiroshima
Ojc

14th Mar 11 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Having read that link that explains it, it's clear this problem and the Chernobyl one have fairly different circumstances.

Innit doe
emicen

14th Mar 11 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Both in failure mode and liability/accountability.

One thing having a meltdown when a natural disaster knocks out your cooling system, quite another when its caused by your scientists ignoring warnings and disabling/over-riding safety systems.
3CorsaMeal

14th Mar 11 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got no howse got no car, muney wet but still hav loads ov muney but no howse.
Ben D

14th Mar 11 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what i was watching on BBC News in an interview withh some professor/expert this morning the explosion was a controlled Hydrogen explosion and apparently it was designed to do this when they vent the gasses, so sounds like it has just been hyped up by the media.

[Edited on 14-03-2011 by Ben D]
emicen

14th Mar 11 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regarding Chernobyl, there wasn't a nuclear explosion, just a hydrogen explosion then fire with nuclear fuel exposed to it creating radioactive ash (hence radioactive sheep in parts of scotland) and the exposed core during the fire are what caused the blindness and burns iirc.
Ojc

14th Mar 11 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes thanks for telling us what I've already said babe.
sc0ott

14th Mar 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics of the exposed core or it didnt happen.
JaffaTB

14th Mar 11 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fro

14th Mar 11 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck me eyes
jrdn7

14th Mar 11 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty C
8.1 on the ricta (sp) scale wasn't it? Biggest in 100 years

[Edited on 11-03-2011 by Scotty C]

8.8/8.9

Up to 9.0 now.
jrdn7

14th Mar 11 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
Regarding Chernobyl, there wasn't a nuclear explosion, just a hydrogen explosion then fire with nuclear fuel exposed to it creating radioactive ash (hence radioactive sheep in parts of scotland) and the exposed core during the fire are what caused the blindness and burns iirc.

Radioactive sheep in Ireland too.
3CorsaMeal

14th Mar 11 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
Fuck me eyes

same, i just look right at that

needs a work warning imho
Ojc

14th Mar 11 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at the BBC trying to make us all shit our pants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12733393

Fucking wankers I hate the BBC
emicen

14th Mar 11 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate just posted this in fb:

Just so people have a picture of what is happening around where I live, thought this mght be helpful...

I'm living in Takasaki (Gunma prefecture) in the centre of Japan, about 200miles SW of Fukushima, so the 9.0 there was more like a 5.5 here (Strong 5 on the Japanese Shindo scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shindo_scale). We lost power in some nearby towns, but there was very little structural damage around here. Power has been restored, but 11 of the 50-odd power stations are off-line, so as of today we have had rolling blackouts in the Eastern Japan region. My area starts those tomorrow (Tue 3/15). Regarding tsunamis I am hundreds of kilometres from the coast in the "belly-button" of Japan, so they are a non-issue here.

Currently there have been over 200 aftershocks (or distinct earthquakes) since Friday, several > 6.0, but they have only registered here around 3.5 ~ 4.5 at most. After having lived here for a while and experienced lots, its weird to downplay "only a 4",but we have been de-sensitized this past weekend!

The official seismological agency has warned of a 70% chance of a 7.0+ quake in the same Sendai area in the next 24hrs, so that is a concern for people in the immediate area, but we would not see so much from that one if it happens.

Current concerns are 1) power and supplies, 2) Nuclear situation.

1) We are safe from the major effects of the earthquake, but we are running low on gas, petrol, and electricity here. I've heard the same situation has been repeated in Tokyo, which seems unecessary (they are a further 100-odd kilometres south of me), but the info from the government hasn't been consistent, clear, or helpful, so there is a mild panic in some parts. Basic info is that deliveries are not confirmed, train schedules are unpredictable, and petrol stations are selling out everywhere as people prepare for the worst, so we're all playing a bit of a waiting game. We'd also like TEPCO to release the info on the blackouts more transparently (today's were cancelled at the last-minute in some areas but not all).So the picture for the rest of the week is unclear. EVeryone is trying to save energy as much as possible!

2) The news from Fukushima hasn't been great, but there are somepositives. Key thing is that the buildings withstood a stronger earthquake than their deisgn (9.0 vs 8.2 ~ 8.4). The issues stem from the tsunami dmage (probably a design oversight, but...). Our current problem is mainly trust. On one hand, people are sharing stories through the internet, but a lot of journos are uninformed, under-informed, or just wrong. SO that doesn't help. On the other, TEPCO have had issues in recent history concealing the extent of some troubles at another  plant (Monju, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monju_Nuclear_Power_Plant) which had to be closed down for 15yrs while it was fixed, delays were due to info hiding on the part of TEPCO. So a lot of people are worried here when Japan seems to be rejecting foreign offers of help and saying "we'll solve it by ourselves".

From what I understand there isn't a risk of meltdown right now, but the unfo is still unclear. One major thing is that my friends and I are looking at the explosion of the outer shell buildings as "minor"... O_o At this stage, anything that isn't a meltdown is good!

Regarding people, I have friends who are from Sendai but have been able to confirm their relatives are all safe. All my contacts have reported that their friends/relatives are ok, so we feel a little detached. Our concerns are how to get back to normal here, and how to help support the S&R efforts there. Some of them are trying to organise a group to go to Sendai and try to contribute in cleaning, they are offering to house people from their association who have lost their homes, and my work is considering how best to support the effort in Tohoku.Depending on the situation, I will try to host displaced people- can't do much clean-up due to my still broken ankle...

I filled my car up before the panic started on Saturday, and I'm driving to work as normal (of course carefully considering the ankle Mum and Dad!). We're also trying to drive smart to save as much gasoline as we can. I am also ready for a bug-out if a) theres suddenly abig quake, or b) the nuclear plant goes a bit wrong.I had recently started cooking at home again, at the prompting of well-intentioned friends, so my kitchen wasn't full, but the cupboards aren't bare right now, so I haven't been grocery shopping much. Had fun seeing empty shelves (milk, water, TP, tissues, cup noodles, rice and bread) at the supermarket next to work. I was also able to get cash from my bank before there were any service interruptions, so I'm set-up ok for the next few days.

Thats about what I can think of right now. If anything is useful please get back to me soon, while I still have electricity (!). Thanks
Ojc

14th Mar 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why can't this happen to Pakistan or something? Send them back to the stone age.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rather it happen to luton
Ojc

14th Mar 11 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rather it happen to Luigis Nonas house when Charzino is there getting battered with the rolling pin.

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Japan tsunami/earthquake 22 database queries in 0.0215180 seconds