corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Official Summer Transfers/Banter Thread

New Poll
  <<  98    99    100    101    102    103    104  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Official Summer Transfers/Banter Thread
mwg

User status: Offline
7th Jul 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member

O'Shea getting his balls tickled at Sunderland
Tommy L

7th Jul 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member

Sunderland
strick206

7th Jul 11 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
no, just saying as it stands Carroll is better value

Please explain how Carroll is better value than Torres?
strick206

7th Jul 11 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
my sources were correct

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/07/samir-nasri-manchester-united-arsenal

They are having a laugh at £25m though. Just tell them we'll wait till January and get him signed up on a free for the following summer if they are going to play that game

20 million is a joke never mind 25. He has got 12 months left, wants to leave, has mates at united, surely we could just hold the selling club to ransom and offer 15 million. If he comes out and says he wants to leave then his value drops. Think wenger is making a mistake here not accepting that silly offer
mwg

7th Jul 11 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member

If he does put a transfer request in then we will be the ones in the driving seat. £20m is a bloody generous offer considering!
strick206

7th Jul 11 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member

I know he is young a premiership proven in a position we need, will suit us perfectly but I can't help thinking that we have picked 4 or 5 targets and are just going for them at whatever cost. I would be happy with nasri if they played him in the centre, still think we could get him for £10m though if he comes out and says he wants to sign for us.

I imagine it depends on what fergie thinks on how valuable he could be this season rather than waiting
mwg

7th Jul 11 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member

Ben J is going mad about this!
Nath

7th Jul 11 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14041899.stm

£18m
Tom

7th Jul 11 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
quote:
Originally posted by Tom
He's our first priority for the wing apparently. He'll add a good bit of balance and be a decent player for us (my honest assessment).

United paid £15m odd for Young who had one year on his contract. I don't think we'll pay much more than that for Downing who arguably performed more consistently for Villa and has 2 years left on his deal (but he's almost 2 years older).

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Hope this puts us off

Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb has told Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez to forget about signing Stewart Downing, saying: "We believe he is happy and settled here." (Daily Mail, 1540 BST)

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
We're meant to be in for Luis Suarez and one of Young or Downing (helping to finance the move for bent potentially). I'd be happy with Suarez and Young but i'd probably take Downing if Young wasn't available.

That was a bit of a waste of time wasn't it, hasn't really demonstrated your point very well? He's improved at Villa, I would have been happy with Young and Suarez but Young wanted to go you and Downing probably fits the profile of wide man we are missing at the moment, still be relatively happy if he signs. I also still think we'll pick up another wide man this summer too......

As for Hendo, it's reported by our local press at £16m, that's fine by me.

Adam is a bargain too, again another type of player we were missing and be worth £10m for his corners alone as some whiskey nosed tramp once said

Has Gervinho signed for Arsenal then?
Nath

7th Jul 11 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member

Nothing official on Gervinho that I can see.
Tom

7th Jul 11 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
quote:

I think what he was probably trying to say is that we swapped a player who didn't want to be here for Carroll and £15m. The player who didn't want to be here scored 1 goal in how many games, whilst Carroll, who turned up injured has still scored more goals and looked a better fit (compared to Torres at Chelsea). The £15m plus Babel sale also bought us a player who is worth more than what we signed him for (now).

chrisritch

7th Jul 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
quote:

I think what he was probably trying to say is that we swapped a player who didn't want to be here for Carroll and £15m. The player who didn't want to be here scored 1 goal in how many games, whilst Carroll, who turned up injured has still scored more goals and looked a better fit (compared to Torres at Chelsea). The £15m plus Babel sale also bought us a player who is worth more than what we signed him for (now).

Tom

7th Jul 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14041899.stm

£18m

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13882802.stm

1 year left on contract and go and look at their stats comparissons

Nath

7th Jul 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member

Oh dear Tom. I reckon you should go back a few pages.

And Young is still better than Downing IMO.

Tom

7th Jul 11 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Andy Carroll cost -£15 million because what happened was Chelsea gave Newcastle £35 million and Liverpool £15 million and then Carroll went to Liverpool and Torres (who is now worthless) went to Chelsea.

Idiots.

I freely admit we paid over the odds for Carroll, it was justified in that we wanted a striker to fill the gap he left and we had no time to negotiate, newcastle and torres held all the cards.

Torres isn't shit, he's still got time to prove he can fit at chelsea and he probably will but it's pretty pointless (imo) talking about the whole saga as if it were a normal transfer situation. I'm happy with who we ended up with, i'm sure chelsea will be too. If we didn't have any money to spend after now (as a result of spending most of it on Carroll) then it'd be a different story but our owners are backing us and as I say, i'm fine it
Tom

7th Jul 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Oh dear Tom. I reckon you should go back a few pages.

And Young is still better than Downing IMO.

I genuinely can't see what I've missed on the last few pages?

I don't really see the need for 'Oh Dear Tom' though, you laughed at Downing being sold for virtually the same price as Young, regardless of whether you think Young is a better player, Downing will give us something we've been missing. You can't argue too much with their very similar stats considering both were playing in the same team, played similar amounts of games and played in similar positions.
strick206

7th Jul 11 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member

Career Stats for Young vs Downing (Yes i am bored at work)

Young Games Started 235 Sub Appearances 37
Downing Games Started 254 Sub Appearances 47

Young Goals 54
Downing Goals 32

Young Assists 71
Downing Assists 46

Young Shots 511 On Target 211 Percentage on target 41.29
Downing Shots 555 On Target 212 Percentage on Target 38.20

Goals to Games

Young 1 goal in every 5.04 games
Downing 1 goal in every 9.41

Downing has only committed 88 fouls in his career, young has committed 273, would be interesting to find a stat on attempted tackles as i bet young does much more tracking back and helping his wing back.

Also young has been fouled 516 times compared to downing 205, which shows that young is more attacking, tries to beat more people.

Disciplinary is well in downings favour 39 yellows and 3 reds young, only 10 yellows downing

I want to try and find stats on crosses and crosses completed but don't know where to look,

Take into account young is 2 years young and much better on stats i think downing is a rip off (not that we should have paid 15million for a player with 12 months left but we certainly have got the more classy player)
Hammer

7th Jul 11 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
rangers have signed someone and we also get 900k from the charlie adam deal

10% of £7.5 million - £900,00

Rangers are that good they transcend mathematics
strick206

7th Jul 11 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member

Last 2 Years

Young Games Started 90 Sub Appearances 8
Downing Games Started 74 Sub Appearances 10

Young Goals 20
Downing Goals 11

Young Assists 30
Downing Assists 14

Young Shots 193 On Target 68 Percentage on target 35.23
Downing Shots 165 On Target 47 Percentage on Target 28.48

Goals to Games

Young 1 goal in every 4.90 games
Downing 1 goal in every 7.64 games

chrisritch

7th Jul 11 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:

Also young has been fouled 516 times compared to downing 205, which shows that young is more attacking, tries to beat more people.

Or that Young is a diving fucker?
mwg

7th Jul 11 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member

strick"Russ"206 in the house
strick206

7th Jul 11 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member

I am bored out of my skin in this place i am working, so thought i'd look into it, Tom said downing was more consistent last couple of seasons so i thought i would have a look.

Think it is clear to see that Young is consistently the better player and does more for the team

Chrisbitch - Yes thats right, young has dived to get 300 more fouls for his team, you have to get into positions to get fouled and it looks like young is much more of a threat than downing
Conway563

7th Jul 11 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member

Would definitely rather have Young but TBH I think Downing will bring more to Liverpool than Young will to Utd

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by Conway563]
Tommy L

7th Jul 11 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member

Strick how many times has gerrard been fouled in the last few years?
Tom

7th Jul 11 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
I am bored out of my skin in this place i am working, so thought i'd look into it, Tom said downing was more consistent last couple of seasons so i thought i would have a look.

Think it is clear to see that Young is consistently the better player and does more for the team

Chrisbitch - Yes thats right, young has dived to get 300 more fouls for his team, you have to get into positions to get fouled and it looks like young is much more of a threat than downing

Look at Last season specifically, as I say, 2 players for the same club occupying similar positions:

2010/2011:

Appearances:
Young 34, Downing 38
Chances created:
Young 68, Downing 78
Assists
Young 10, Downing 7
% chances converted
Young 14%, Downing 9%
Passes Attempted
Young 1140, Downing 1485
Passes Completed
Young 813 , Downing 1145
Pass Completion %
Young 71%, Downing 77%
|Goals
Young 7, Downing 7
Tackles attempted
Young 31, Downing 41
Tackles completed
Young 21, Downing 29
% Tackle Completion
Young 68%, Downing 71%
Interceptions
Young 40, Downing 72

They are very similar when you consider Young takes more set peices (think he took a few penalty kicks too). You could say Young stagnated last season, or you you could say Downing has improved (I would have thought the former more-so but comparing it to your last 2 years figures it looks more that Downing has improved).

I'll be happy if we get him, regardless. I agree that they are both over priced though.

<<  98    99    100    101    102    103    104  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Official Summer Transfers/Banter Thread 23 database queries in 0.0431058 seconds