corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  123    124    125    126    127    128    129  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
Cole

User status: Offline
9th Nov 13 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6`4 on a 29er that's gonna be a big bike

been up to the surrey hills today around peaslake Leith hill etc that place is amazing you can do your usual freeride/am stuff there as well as mixing it u with a xc loop the loop we done was just over 16 miles and that was only half of the trails there can really recommend it

http://www.strava.com/activities/94070248

[Edited on 09-11-2013 by Cole]
deano87

9th Nov 13 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ridden there once. Haven't been back since. Would love togo but wouldn't know where to start.

Think I was on a 13" framed Kona Blast last time I went
Nic Barnes

10th Nov 13 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a right blast tonight with some weather that would have made national news had it been down south. will upload some pics in a bit after i had a shower. only just got back home, need to sort stuff out for tomorrows ride which is a harsh one. downhill track to ride tomorrow.
Nic Barnes

10th Nov 13 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stop the presses, alert sky news. snow on the hills of cumbria.

big wheeled jimbothebarbarian, with big wheels making a mockery of any snow/ice/slippy trail in its way.

must have been -degrees up the top of the hills. its the uk's only mountain forest.

and thats the worst photo of the moon anyone will ever see anywhere. really nice and still night, proper clear skies. awesome, and cold. the winter leggings made an appearance, and did their job well. water proof socks on the agenda i reckon though.

good times, followed by a nice maccy ds.
Nic Barnes

10th Nov 13 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

strava says i have climbed over 80,000 feet since july when i got the app. not bad.
Cole

10th Nov 13 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could of done with some waterproof socks today aswell. Deano if you ever go back to peaslake just head to peaslake village store and there is a road to the right of it head up that the trails start at the top go in the summer or when its dry and just follow everyone else it gets pretty busy then so you wont get lost. It apparently has some of the best riding in the country
Jimbothebarbarian

10th Nov 13 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mint ride out tonight. Total shock with the snow and ice. Didn't expect that tbh.

Took a detour round some random cycle race track thing for tomorrows race. Not impressed.
Jimbothebarbarian

10th Nov 13 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
Cheers for the responses, those of you who have said Trek, is this for any real reason or do you just think it is a bit better?

smcGSI16V - looking at a 29er for a few reasons. I've read they suit a taller person and at just shy of 6'4" I think that's me. They supposedly give a smoother more forgiving ride as well and the majority of my rides won't be that technical.

I love mine. But as mentioned they can be just a little bit more tricky on tight switchbacks, roll over most stuff.

For the size of you it's your best bet imho, my mate who is sizes with you is unstoppable on his. They just seem to make it all a bit smoother..
Nic Barnes

10th Nov 13 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
Mint ride out tonight. Total shock with the snow and ice. Didn't expect that tbh.

Took a detour round some random cycle race track thing for tomorrows race. Not impressed.
definitely the new section on the south that
Jimbothebarbarian

10th Nov 13 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

South loop fail...
Nic Barnes

10th Nov 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

view from the top of ae forest today where the downhill course and the shredder both start from. not far off 3000ft of climbs today in 17miles. some bits were covered in ice so made some of the descents on the rocky bits quite dubious. proper good laugh for the second day in a row on a push bike. I've biked 27 off road northern miles and ran for 6 miles all in the last 3 days. can't wait for leg night at the gym tomorrow ffs.
deano87

10th Nov 13 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sit rep. "10spd only" SLX chainset works fine with 9 speed kit.
Simon

10th Nov 13 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great view nic.
I spent the morning at Forest of Dean on a demo day, tried a Trek Slash, Trek Remedy and Whyte G150. Over 10K's of bike

They were all 650b wheels - not sure I noticed a difference to be honest. Maybe would have if I had jumped on a 26 inbetween. Great fun though and even better riding through absolute filth knowing I didn't have to wash the bike at the end
corsadonk
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've bought myself a frame to replace my Hardrock which is too big. My front derailleur has always been a bit shit, so I'm after another one, I've got 24 gears, 3x8. It seems that you can't really get decent front mech for my set-up. I've looked at full groupsets but I can't warrant paying out that much. Does anyone have any links on which one to get?

Thanks.
Simon

10th Nov 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you have already? You need to match your shifters on manufacturers ie, sram or shimano. Also would need to check the frame diameter to get the right bracket size. Should be able to pick up decent mechs on their own fairly cheap
corsadonk
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got shimano stuff with 34.9mm stem.
Simon

10th Nov 13 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shimano what? Deore, XT etc.?
corsadonk
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deore, it's going on a old Rockhopper if that helps.
deano87

10th Nov 13 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see why a 9spd front mech shouldn't work with 8spd rear. As it is only shifting on the 3 chainrings which is no different regardless of 3x8/9/10.
Doug

10th Nov 13 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gotta get back on my bike. It's been months since I have even looked at it.

Ordered a decent night light so might try one of these night rides.
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Nov 13 at 06:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'll get this one, I just want it to work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160962586633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Simon

11th Nov 13 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check your existing is bottom pull. Why isn't yours working in the first place? Rusty? Not set-up properly? Gets full of mud? Copied from somewhere else so you can see where Alivo sits in the range.

MOUNTAIN BIKE PARTS
LEVEL 1 (entry level)
SIS-5 speed/6 speed/7 speed.
ALTUS-7 speed.
ACERA-7 speed/8 speed.
The above (3) are mainly used on bikes that are used on weekends,bike path riding and some commuting bikes.
LEVEL 2
ALIVO-7 speed/8 speed.
DEORE-9 speed.
These (2) are used a lot by people who commute most days as well as for bikes which are ridden on weekends. This componentry is suitable for off road use and is generally a good starting point for racing components.
LEVEL 3
DEORE LX-9 speed.
LX is a very good quality component which is well weighted and designed. LX is mainly used for serious recreation and racing. As well as for those people who want a very stable and strong commuting bike.
LEVEL 4
DEORE XT-9 speed.
XT is once again a very smooth and reliable group set, used on many racebikes as well as top end town bikes. XT is remarkably strong and very durable as well as being a delight to use.2004 saw a big change in LX when the hollow tech 2 crank set was introduced, as well as the introduction of the rapid shift levers
LEVEL 5
DEORE XTR-9 speed.
XTR is predominately used on top end race bikes. It is very light and smooth, however it does require some maintenance as it is such a precision made component.XTR also has the Hollow tech 2 crank set with an awesome disc brake and wheel set being available.
Cole

11th Nov 13 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God wish i had £1700 lbs is doing a silly deal trek fuel ex 9.8 carbon frame and fork set includes reverb stealth dropper stem and bars, forks are ctd and rear shock is the drcv
jacko198

11th Nov 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taking a few days off to go do some riding. Just found out my rear shock is dead. Off to TF it goes £110 poorer
corsadonk
Premium Member

11th Nov 13 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Check your existing is bottom pull. Why isn't yours working in the first place? Rusty? Not set-up properly? Gets full of mud? Copied from somewhere else so you can see where Alivo sits in the range.

Thanks, for that.

It never has worked very well. It's fine on the small and middle cogs, but it's always been hard to select the big cog. It wasn't too bad when my bottom bracket was knacked, it had enough play to move it up. The bike was a wreck when I first bought, it is about ten years old. The bloke who I take it to for a service said it is bent, I asked him to fit a new one last time and he didn't, so I'm gonna use another company to set it up the gear on the new frame.

<<  123    124    125    126    127    128    129  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 23 database queries in 0.0367949 seconds