corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  126    127    128    129    130    131    132  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
Rick Draper

User status: Offline
22nd Nov 13 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Snow, already!
Nic Barnes

22nd Nov 13 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a few rides in snow and ice the last few weeks yeah. Didn't make the news though the weather.

[Edited on 22-11-2013 by Nic Barnes]
Jimbothebarbarian

22nd Nov 13 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
Snow, already!

Had snow on the tops for quite a few weeks now.

Cole, dude have you got some kind of persecution complex mate? You seem to take everything to heart.
Rick Draper

22nd Nov 13 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
Had a few rides in snow and ice the last few weeks yeah. Didn't make the news though the weather.

[Edited on 22-11-2013 by Nic Barnes]

Too far North, if its not London no one gives a fuck!
Nic Barnes

22nd Nov 13 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23tJsVuYgW4&feature=youtu.be

was a good bit of ice around. made for some interesting riding for sure.
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Nov 13 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my first attempt at training my idiotic G.S.D pup to be a scene 'trail dog' took her out round the local mosses/peat bogs and she managed not to get run over or to lost.

I'll take her out a couple more times then I'll try her on some quieter trails. I will say it's fucking cracking exercise for them.
Nic Barnes

23rd Nov 13 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

need to see if i can find a mate that has a spare set of 140mm forks i could try in my bike.......
Nic Barnes

23rd Nov 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQt1Jjgeupo&feature=youtu.be

gets a bit too dark for the camera at one point. thats. roughly 1.5 miles of descent, and fair rough ground. i couldn't go much faster due to the lack of travel on the bike, hence looking for 140mm forks to try.

edit should say i want to try longer forks to change the angle as well slightly to make it better for descending

[Edited on 23-11-2013 by Nic Barnes]
Cole

23rd Nov 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you do go for longer travel fork look at the talas range then you could run 150mm on descents and 120 for general riding wont put to much stress on the frame as adding a fork that is bigger than the frame is designed for can cause damage especially around the headstock
Nic Barnes

23rd Nov 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

borrowing some 140s to try this week if i can get out one night for a ride. had to borrow a wheel as well as they're 20mm bolt through not 15 like mine is. arse.
am4nf

24th Nov 13 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically Ive got my hardtail bike I had built about 10 years ago

It had good quality parts at the time, but over time and with a bit of neglect when it comes to the upkeep side of things, 7th and 1st gear make the chain come off, its got v-brakes and the front fork rubber covers are perished

Im basically looking to find out how much I would be looking at to rectify these issues (fix gears, disc brakes and replace rubber)

1. buying the discs wheels and hubs myself and fitting myself and fixing the other two problems

2. having a bike shop do it for me

3. Would it be more cost effective to give up on it and go for a new bike? (basically how much is it going to cost me haha)
kennySRi

24th Nov 13 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All Depends how much you want to spend.

If you just want a bike that works and gets you about £300 wound get you a decent 2nd hand bike which will be the cheapest and easiest option.

Rebuilding your bike would be a tenner or so for new cables (bike shop could supply fit and set up your bike for £30-£50 I reckon). New disc forks range from £40-£800 lol, and the same for the wheels.

I've just built up some top spec bikes and have stuck with v brakes. Find a set of xtr v's and you won't find better brakes and you can keep your old wheels then

If you want to spend loads though I have a set of formula r1 brakes for sale and kashima fox forks!
am4nf

24th Nov 13 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally I dont wana spend much, I was thinking buy a second hand bike with maybe dead gears? and steal bits I need from it....

Much are your brakes and forks out of interest?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Nov 13 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so LBS visit happened, instead of that lovely bib dr pepper recommended I ended up with:

altura leggings/bottoms
alutra windproof/winter gloves
northwave overshoes

Then to totally ruin it I got myself a moon xp400 light as my £30 rsp jobbie wasn't lighting up the rural roads round here on the commute home and its blooooody good!

Back on the bike friday for work which was lovely and did 33 miles on Saturday. New stuff defo keeping me warmer, however wearing the leggings/bottoms over my 3/4 bib does kinda make my legs feel like they are in syrup.

Fingers crossed the weather stays above freezing for the mornings as few people have said a road bike is pretty much a no go?

Nic Barnes

24th Nov 13 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could you get more appropriately gripped tyres for it?
Simon

24th Nov 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have swapped to my full suss on the odd occasion to minimize slips on ice! Can be sketchy depending on your tyres. My hybrid tyres are ok with most weather but then I'm not riding rural roads

I had a right mare of a day, got my bike out for first time in ages, set off and the rear shock was completely depressed, figured all the air had leaked out or something so turned around and headed back, as I pulled up I pulled the brakes to an almighty squeal. The Pads were completely worn down so the sequel had been metal on metal.

The shock was easily sorted, I had somehow wound the rebound down so it was just taking 5 mins to return to position rather than having lost air.

The pads have been a nightmare, got some new ones in and for the life of me I couldn't get the pistons pushed back in any further to stop the brakes being locked on. I went out figuring that under some heavy friction they would soon ware down and free up. It just turned out that they were under so much pressure they got hotter and hotter, expanding and pretty much bringing me to a halt. Headed home again.

Been sanding down the new pads with little improvement, then made the mistake of pumping the brake level with pads out which pushed the piston out fully loosing some oil so now I need to rebleed them and I have no brake fluid! Trip to halfords tomorrow it is.

What a waste of a day
Nic Barnes

24th Nov 13 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted! Although you have reminded me to order some new pads lol
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Nov 13 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

not sure for road wheels tbh?

I do have a MTB which is now got fixed suspension on the front and a new crank, but everything else is showing its age, not to mentioned the rear wheel is abit crooked too. I know I can get some cheap wheels for like £30? but don't want to end up buying twice. [/blog]
gavin18787
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go on the mtb. Contact patch of a road bike is no good for ice
Sketchy enough in the wet
Almost wrote myself off coming down your way the other week coming onto the crooked mile from Broxbourne. Drifting a road bike is not big or clever :/

Finally bit the bullet and fitted mud tyres bacl on the mtb. Gave them both a service too

[IMG]http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/gavin18787/20131125_174900_zps536e91fa.jpg[/IMG

[Edited on 25-11-2013 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
gavin18787
Premium Member

25th Nov 13 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
Go on the mtb. Contact patch of a road bike is no good for ice
Sketchy enough in the wet
Almost wrote myself off coming down your way the other week coming onto the crooked mile from Broxbourne. Drifting a road bike is not big or clever :/

Finally bit the bullet and fitted mud tyres bacl on the mtb. Gave them both a service too

[Edited on 25-11-2013 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Cole

25th Nov 13 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you running tubeless on your mtb gav
Simon

25th Nov 13 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

not sure for road wheels tbh?

I do have a MTB which is now got fixed suspension on the front and a new crank, but everything else is showing its age, not to mentioned the rear wheel is abit crooked too. I know I can get some cheap wheels for like £30? but don't want to end up buying twice. [/blog]

I'd at least entertain some gripper tyres to start with. Check out more cyclecross aimed ones for example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tyres/cyclo-x-tyres

Going from a nice road bike to a duff mtb I imagine isn't going to last long

Working on my bike is such a love hate thing, Sunday it was royal pain in the arse. This evening it all went to plan, brakes bled and working a dream and bearings changed to hopefully resolve a nasty creak! Lights charged ready for a evening ride tomorrow
Nic Barnes

26th Nov 13 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Planning on doing skiddaw this Sunday near Keswick. Supposed to be quite a mad descent, one of, if not the best in the uk.

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/skiddaw-circuit-and-summit/

That's the route we are looking at although it's possible to shorten it by a bit.
Simon

26th Nov 13 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to do some riding further North, furthest I've got is Gisburn. Was just glad to be out on the bike locally this evening after a long stop due to final exams. Wasn't as cold or muddy as I was expecting, good fun!
Nic Barnes

26th Nov 13 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the few rides I've done in the lakes have been great. hoping to explore a lot more next year when the weather less grim. some serious altitude to ride up and down which hopefully my multi speed bike will manage ok.

<<  126    127    128    129    130    131    132  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 24 database queries in 0.0452192 seconds