corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Jambo

User status: Offline
1st Apr 13 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love the way you have gone from 0-bonkers in like 4months

Excellent thread and I really like the car, hats off for having a to at a lot yourself too.

I'd quite like to see the wheels painted anthra but if your happy then
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 13 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Jambo... 4 months though, feels like I've had this car a lifetime

Powdercoating is due once I've swapped the brake pads/disks/hoses all round. I've taken a few chunks out of the rattlecan finish a few times already whilst doing "wheels off" jobs so no point in getting them nicely painted to take off more chunks

I'm torn atm between redoing in silver, or a gunmetal/anthracite. Maybe 51/49 in favour of anthracite

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

2nd Apr 13 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anthracite, breaks the colour up a bit then.

You are making me want to still save up for one of these in between my stupid holidays!
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 13 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
stupid holidays!

Tell me about it All I want to do atm is spend money on the car (between saving for a new house ) and she's just booked us 3 nights in Monaco for next week

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

2nd Apr 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 13 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still not done any mileage in it, but this is how she's sitting atm.

Made a start to my interior illumination project tonight.

Here's what I'm aiming to change:

Ignition Ring from this to red:

Heater Controls and Ashtray to red:

Ashtray and Ignition are just bulb swaps, so I thought I'd start with the more difficult heater controls - or HVAC unit.

Basically the goal is to open up the unit, blank off the existing white LEDs (which sit behind a green filter) and then wire in some red LEDs to the power points on the PCB allowing the dash dimming controls to remain active, and for the unit to come on/off at the usual times. etc.

The three yellowish squares inside the knob are the white LEDs to be blanked.

In order to get the wiring out of the knob, I need to drill into the base of the knob - avoiding the PCB/components and the rotating parts of the knob.

That gives me about 4mm to drill a 3mm hole

Started uber slow with 1.5mm drill bit and then went in again with a 3mm one. That's just enough to get my wiring through, really - I should have got thinner wiring

Next I need to sort my LEDs out. I've not done electronics, soldering, etc since School - so I needed to do some homework first.

I think this is a "series" of LEDs(?)

Needs some tidying up with some smaller/sharper snips - and then insulating. I needed to test my series' with the resistors I bought, and a 12v supply - so for now it's just a mock-up.

Nice blurry picture to hide my soldering

I'm not sure the proper colour coding for wiring - so mine is Positive = Blue (happy sky colour) and Negative = Brown (poo).

Mockup, eventually the negative will go (via a resistor) to the left-top pin from that group of pins between the left and middle knob, just near that screw. The positive will go to the left-bottom pin in the same group.

After my drilling, I plugged the HVAC unit into the car to make sure I hadn't damaged anything - all seemed to work fine.

I then waited for it to get dark, and setup my controlled test-lab (car battery under the bonnet)

I need to tidy up my LED arrangement for this dial, then make two more. Will continue tomorrow.

[Edited on 02-04-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completed the HVAC and did the Ashtray bulb tonight.

First up was to knock up a couple more LED arrangements:

Then time to wire it all into the unit. Fiddly job but got there in the end:

Finally back into the car:

There's still a bit of white/green light escaping from the OEM LED's so I'll get some red model paint I think just to blob over them completely, the marker pen I used this time not quite up to the job - but still looks alright I think.

Just Ignition ring LED to go now, job for another day though - tired

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

3rd Apr 13 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks brilliant Kyle well done mate

What about the clock?
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

Gauge pod will be going there, with red gauges ofc!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

4th Apr 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice touch that matey , looks much better
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 13 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Barnshaw, though this morning I discovered that the uneven light dispersion (presumably caused by the fact my OEM LEDs are still transmitting) makes them look pretty awful in the daylight!

Going to paint over those bulbs tonight, hopefully that'll improve them!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

4th Apr 13 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

smart
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 13 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took arrival of my new stopping equipment today.

Would like to think I'll get this lot on at the weekend, but got stuff to sort before I go on holiday on monday so may need to wait for my return.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

4th Apr 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely shiny discs!
Can't wait for mine to arrive, drilled and grooved ones
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Apr 13 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I painted over the OEM LEDs today in the HVAC unit which should hopefully improve the light distribution in them now. Will need to wait until tonight to test though

Unfortunately I've caused a little electrical gremlin whilst trying to change the ignition ring LED.

Basically the red LEDs I bought were the right type, but the bulb was too... bulbous and wouldn't fit in the recess in the ignition ring. I decided to abort and order some new LED's.

Somewhere between trial fitting the red LED and reconstructing my steering column though I've caused a short or something, and as a result my dome light and ignition ring light are permanently switched on, despite doors been closed/locked/etc

Lesson learned, ALWAYS UNPLUG THE BATTERY WHEN DOING ELECTRICAL STUFF.

I did some googling, looks like I might have fried a component known as the Body Integrated Unit or BIU. I've found reports from Foresters, Outbacks and some newer Impreza's all in the US which have the exact same circumstances, and most people wiring in footwell lights from the ignition ring feed.

Problem is though, I can't find my BIU to take out and inspect. Apparently it's literally a case of frying a circuit on it so it's visually identifiable - then I can contact a breakers about a spare.

I've had my head under the dash most of the day and found the DCCD control box, Central Locking control box but no BIU.

I've posted a thread up on a US forums, I'm beginning to find the UK based Impreza forums are pretty crap for technical help to be honest.

The issue isn't P1 at the moment, as I've removed the ignition ring bulb and switched the dome light to "off" rather than "auto", so I'm not spunking my battery away. Ben

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

6th Apr 13 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like those red led's i have orange ones so i guess red wouldn't make too much difference. way out of my league though. wouldn't have a clue where to start
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ben!

Last pre-Holiday update.

Sneak Peak of my impulse bargain:

Not sure on the burned tip look yet, wonder if it'll polish off

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

8th Apr 13 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have sandpapered my exhaust and polished it back up before
P1CK4D

8th Apr 13 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really impressed with the Red LED's. Looks so much better with them. Hats off to you.
Simon_16v

8th Apr 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exhaust looks really cheap? Prefer the exhaust you have on so far
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Apr 13 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I concede its not the most elaborate piece of engineering you will ever see but they get good reviews for quality and noise, and I've seen a few on cars which don't look too bad.

The main reason for getting it was the price as I got a backbox and what is effectively a free centre section. My current centre has been hacked up in a previous owner adventure so I can at least trial the backbox and see how it looks and sounds on the car. They're the go-to choice for people who want a reasonable sounding car without setting car alarms off so I should be able to sell it on if I don't like it!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Apr 13 at 15:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've ordered a couple of bits to hopefully resolve my little electrical gremlin

It looks like my electrical tape insulation isn't adequate enough, I went over a speed bump and blew the fuse for the interior illumination I've bought some "liquid electrical tape" to cover my LED arrays in, as I think some of the areas are just too small for electrical tape coverage. Hopefully if I paint all my joints in this stuff it'll make my setup more stable.

The second thing I've bought is a second hand central locking unit. Part of what this unit does is light up and slowly dim the dome light when the doors are unlocked. This currently isn't working, and this unit runs off the same fuse which I blew...

I found a guy on Scoobynet literally a few days after I did my bulb change who has the same symptoms, and replacing the central locking unit did the trick. £30 on eBay, so worth a punt to save me chasing geese and dodgy earths which may not even exist.

On the exhaust front, I've looked at loads of photo's and I think I prefer my Prodrive backbox. The centre still needs swapping, so I'll do that and sell this backbox on I think. If I price it right, I could probably arrange it so I effectively got the centre section for free.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Apr 13 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally, Illumination is done and everything is working.

The Central Locking unit was the source of the issue with the dome light and keyring light. No idea what could break on it, it's a non-car specific box with a few programmed functions to do stuff like dimming the dome light when doors are locked, and to activate the lights when a door switch is activated, etc.

Anyway, all sorted

This is the unit which I replaced.

ARBs due tomorrow, but I'll probably miss the courier I reckon a week on Saturday will be fitting/alignment day.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

18th Apr 13 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the work on changing the bulbs but I was thinking as I read it 1. that tape spells trouble and 2. you're guna short something out

Always use heatshrink in future, your birds hairdryer on it's hottest setting will normally so the job of shrinking it. I've taken to covering everything except the end component with heatshrink when I've done stuff like that near boards in the past
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Apr 13 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep quite annoyed I didn't heatshrink from the beginning. To do it now would mean ripping it all apart and unsoldering the PCB connections which took ages to get right

Lessons learned anyway, I may revisit it if it gives me any issues.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0176411 seconds