corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
8th May 09 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friday 8th May

Well, the day has finally come. First step into dragging the engine into action. My Newman Performance Camshaft and Followers have been collected from AB Garage. They also now have my spare head to start work on over the next month or so, and then hopefully i will have some money to spend on getting everything sorted and on the car. The Cam itself is designed for DCOE Twins so should be fine and dandy for my setup.

And i also got my vectra wheels back from bead blasting too! Thanks for Mark Graham for an excellent job!

So all fine and dandy, if a little expensive today. Just got to get the cash together to get the cam in and sorted now. Got to put all i can aside for the next few months, but i have got insurance and tax to pay in the next 2 months too. Grr. Ah well, im sure i will find it from somewhere.

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

8th May 09 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow awesome job

chrex

8th May 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree'd...awsome!
Adam-D

9th May 09 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that new cam looks nothing like the other 2 you have, much fatter

cant wait to see it in there
chrex

11th May 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, having a day off with the sun out...i thought it was be a superb day to paint my SRi wheels. I was windy, which pissed me off at times, but that cant really be helped. With them already having been shot blasted, i only had to prime and paint them, and as they were going white...it was nice and simple.

So, first up, the primer. 2 cans used...ncie thin layer just to give the paint something. Maybe should have used some high build too, but didnt...so thats that.

And, once they were done, i then applied the Appliance Gloss white paint. This is the same stuff i used on the cesaros and they came out and are still great, so why not the same again?

Am pleased with the initial finish. may need some wet rub with 2000grit, but i have got plenty of time before i can afford tyres, so doesnt matter.
chrex

12th May 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, wheels now for sale...

http://forums.corsa-b.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11803

changed my mind i think.
chrex

16th May 09 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, small update. I have booked it in to have the cam fitted and head work done on the 11th June. Will leave it wilth them for a couple of days and they will swap it all for me.

The new head they already have and will be porting, polishing and skimming, also when they get the car, they are going to port match the mainifolds and head, so that should make a huge difference.

After it's all sorted, they will set up the ignition and cam timing and when i get it back, i am hoping for quite a difference.

Standard cam lift duration is 258 deg, and the new one is 280 deg. So there is quite a difference between the two. I cant wait.

At least its booked in anyways, shame they couldnt do it earlier, but they were jam packed busy...so i just had to wait. Soonest they could do it was PVS weekend, and i dont think i can really give it to em then

[Edited on 16-05-2009 by chrex]
Rich H

16th May 09 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I quite like the Veccy wheels - something a bit different, so a shame if they are to go

Ah well, plans all sound good anywho
chrex

16th May 09 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, i like em but i cant afford the tyres yet, and i got insurance renweal and tax over the next 2 months, so wont be able to afford em for ages.

If they dont go, then i will just chuck tyres on as and when and use them thru the winter.
philip2

16th May 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your mrs slacking in that pic above? id be having words lol

heads not the 2ltr 8v one is it? i just did one for a mates mate in a gte, thats down at andy/aids this week to get set up, so will be good to see how it does.

good choice on the newman cam too
chrex

16th May 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep...it is. They have got the head there atm, adam took it up and dropped it off when he picked his corsa up.

Ade said the newman cams give better results over the kent ones...i went with the newman.

Wouldnt trust anyone else with my car now. The guys first got the GSi in december last year, and i wouldnt go anywhere else unless they cant do it.

Imknow that when my car goes in, they will do what they must as if it were their own...
philip2

16th May 09 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i started going maybe 4years or so ago with my beetle. and never used anyone or bin anywhere since. but ive brought them in a hell of a lot of business with mates cars etc.

im there almost everyday seeing whats on the rollers, or after parts or help with my corsa lol

tbh id find it very hard to believe if they cant do anything. or get hold of something. there unreal at what they can do

kent are crap imo. thats why i went for a set of full race newmans for my 20xe

[Edited on 16-05-2009 by philip2]
chrex

16th May 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, well im hoping that i can go there for years. Adam and his brother Marc have both used them after my recommendation, and they have both been pleased with what they had done.

Marc had alot of head work done on his XR2, and more lately, as you saw, adam has had his corsa sorted there. They appear to know me now, and when we dropped adam's corsa off, they made us a coffee, which i wasnt expecting (but defo needed - we were there waiting for em before they'd arrived).
philip2

16th May 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

must of been keen lol, they dont offer me anymore, ive usually got a bottle of red rooster, lucozade or protein lol

ill have to pop down when you take it to get set up
chrex

16th May 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feel free to have gander.

its going down on the 11th june, i reckon they will have it for a couple of days. So i will get it back on the saturday if it goes to plan
chrex

23rd May 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, quick performance update. I took it for its first proper test this evening, with a thoroughly enjoyable drive through the horseshoe pass. It was absolutely superb!

This was exactly the sort of thing that i built it for, and my god am i proud of it now. It may not be up to spec on power, but it lacks nothing in poise. There wasnt one bend in about 20 mins of road where i felt uncomfortable and the car worked so well! The suspension managed to keep it gripping even over crests/dips in the road mid-corner and i was able to scrub speed off quick with the brakes once they were warm and again...these mega impressed!

I was thinking i would need an ARB, but after reading a few peoples opinions and following that drive, i think otherwise. Once the cam is in, i will be going back, and although it was pulling brilliantly, and overtaking uphill without worry...so with the cam in, its going to be just perfect!

Very Happy!
chrex

9th Jun 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, not much has gone on with this lately tbh, havent had any monies to put into it knowing that its getting the cam done.

Having done a roundtrip to and from PVS on pretty much one tank, it has proved to me that its as good as any other car on the long journeys though.

It is going to have the new cam put in first thing on Thursday morning, and im hoping to have it back on saturday afternoon, then a wash and good drive on sunday

I have replaced the throttle cable for a new item and it feels much better, and i have bought a few little things for the cam fitting (gasket set, cam bolt etc.). I am now desperate for a decent lower pulley, and so i may get myself an alloy item from courtenay. And i still need to get the windscreen sorted.

Next update will probs be when it comes back from AB, and i am really hoping that i can give some good news on the power front.

until then...
philip2

10th Jun 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill pop down in the morn, txt me when going ill have a look see

07807 040522
chrex

10th Jun 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, well im getting there for when they open up, so should be about half 8-9. not likely to stick around...just tell them a few things and leave it with them.
chrex

11th Jun 09 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, i dropped it off this morning to get sorted. He showed me the work he had done on the head and said that the head i gave him was bowed and needed a thuo taking off because it had overheated at somepoint in its life, but its okay and still well within the normal tolerances and all sorted now

he was putting it in to start work as i was leaving so hopefully i will have it back asap. Told him i need it back by Saturday anyways.

I now have to await the call.

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by chrex]
chrex

11th Jun 09 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, they have been in touch today. Everything is back together and sorted. They are going to put it on the rollers and set it up in the morning and then its sorted

The engine is a completely standard and rather tired item unfortunately. Although this is being resolved asap, either myself of with the guy i bought the engine off, who is a bit annoyed that its all happened but it appears to be a genuine mistake. Either way i need the bottom end swapping at some point in the near future.

However, i now know that the top end is solid and that its ready to recieve a bottom end that will give the punch to match it. Only things that i may do is get a set of uprated springs and some o/s valves eventually. Just keep on trying to get it to do what i need it to.

Olsrey

11th Jun 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Results will be interesting .

Need new videos
chrex

12th Jun 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rang AB this morning, and with the ignition set-up and the cam at the standard neutral position, its 104@wheels. so 10bhp so far, but he said its responding alot better, and that is with a slight blow in the exhaust manifold due to a damaged gasket which he is gonna sort when he gets the new gasket through.

So am hoping i can drag 110 from it in the meantime, and then sort the bottom end out and try to drag another 10bhp from that using higher compression pistons and lightening it up.
marklawton

12th Jun 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good mate, iam glad its going to plan for you. what are these engines bhp standerd?
Daimo B

12th Jun 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XEL? thats an XE.

XEL has the curvey inlet manifold. Less power, same torque, but at a lower rpm

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.0199592 seconds