corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland

New Poll
  <<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Scotland
Dom

User status: Offline
10th Sep 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
You're just after suggesting he said we won't pay our fair share of the debt, which is it? Or have you realised you've just regurgitated a tabloid headline with no basis?

Well, Salmond seems to be for and against it depending on when the media catches him, so i guess both

And the Telegraph, Guardian, FT and The Times aren't tabloid newspapers; rather they're broadsheets

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
The Parliament resides in London where the decisions are weighted to benefit the markets there.

So no different to any other country or state then?

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Dom]
GB123
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

And ...the Guardian aren't tabloid newspapers; rather they're broadsheets

Technically a Berliner

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by GB123]
Ojc

10th Sep 14 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard Life situation? Thought?
GB123
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BP too
Dom

10th Sep 14 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

And ...the Guardian aren't tabloid newspapers; rather they're broadsheets

Technically a Berliner

A what?
GB123
Premium Member

10th Sep 14 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slighter smaller than a broadsheet
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 14 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

That's a fairly weak no vote right there.
Russ

10th Sep 14 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's gotta be a no - consequences will never be the same
cunningham

10th Sep 14 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If these companys leave surely there profits will be hit hard therefore they need to be made up elsewhere. Theres always another company waiting in the shadows to be successful. If we really are such a burden to England why do they care if we go it alone, they should be kicking us out.
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Well, Salmond seems to be for and against it depending on when the media catches him, so i guess both

And the Telegraph, Guardian, FT and The Times aren't tabloid newspapers; rather they're broadsheets

No he doesn't, as we have already proven by me asking for 1 quote from him and you being unable to provide it.

I'm aware of the difference between tabloids and broadsheets, my point is a tabloid newspaper fabricated a story and the wider media ran with it.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Tangent but let's run with it. You stated that everyone gets shafted equally now you appear to be agreeing with me that decisions are weighted towards where the Parliament resides. Again, which is it?
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Standard Life situation? Thought?

Just the one?

They stated in 1992 they'd move if there was even a Referendum, it's 2014 and they're still here.

The reality is boardrooms up and down this Country are doing their jobs and putting contingency plans in place. I'd be astonished if they didn't. The reality is when push comes to shove they won't leave a Country which will be richer, from day one, than the Country they'd be moving to because of financial concerns. That is common sense.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 14 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't see how it can be richer from day one unless the bit about walking away from the national debt is true.
Pop

10th Sep 14 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO that is a very naive view.

These companies have a responsibility to shareholders to domicile in a financially stable country. Yes England has debts, but it has its own currency that it controls the rates for etc.

The Scottish government may encourage companies to stay domiciled with incentives like lower corporation tax. Just look at The ROI to see how well that worked. If Scotland was going to be such a financially great prospect from day 1 the EU would be welcoming you with open arms; they aren't.

To shift to England may pose far less upheaval than staying.

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Pop]
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Don't see how it can be richer from day one unless the bit about walking away from the national debt is true.

No one is suggesting anyone walk away from debt, literally not one single person.

As far as being richer is concerned, that's based on GDP per capita and is a fact. Scotland would have been 4th in the League Table in 1979 when we should have been made Independent and we'd be 14th as of today. Figures taken from the OECD. The UK as a whole are 18th for reference.

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Hammer]
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
IMO that is a very naive view.

These companies have a responsibility to shareholders to domicile in a financially stable country. Yes England has debts, but it has its own currency that it controls the rates for etc.

The Scottish government may encourage companies to stay domiciled with incentives like lower corporation tax. Just look at The ROI to see how well that worked. If Scotland was going to be such a financially great prospect from day 1 the EU would be welcoming you with open arms; they aren't.

To shift to England may pose far less upheaval than staying.

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Pop]

I've already said companies are duty bound to put contingencies in place, as they should be. Uncertainty breeds panic in financial markets and they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't. Standard Life and BP, just to put today's massive breaking news into perspective, are reiterating the same thing they said years ago. It's only big news because it is being used as a Political tool.

The ROI are thriving by offering tax cuts to big business, hence why Google and other huge US technology companies are spending hundreds of millions on premises over there, bit ironic suggesting I'm being naive. Also the EU are stating their own membership rules and from an impartial stance as well, the reality is countries like Spain do not want us to become independent because the knock on effect is the Catalans will want their own. That isn't our problem, we should be taken on our own merits and again when push comes to shove we will be.

Ian
Site Administrator

10th Sep 14 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that's what you were meaning.

[Edited on 10-09-2014 by Ian]
Pop

10th Sep 14 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a fair point, but it wasn't enough to stop a bailout from the EU being needed.

In all seriousness, where is the money going to come from once the oil runs out? BP have publicly come out against the Yes campaign. The chief executive, who both sides consider to be a leading expert, thinks the reserves are well below the level in the white paper.
Pop

10th Sep 14 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whatever happens it's all fun and games. It would be a lot easier if both sides told even partial truths to base a decision on.

Salmond realistically has no idea and frankly doesn't care. He is in a win win situation. Westminster just need to keep everything a bit wooly to scare people.
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
That's a fair point, but it wasn't enough to stop a bailout from the EU being needed.

In all seriousness, where is the money going to come from once the oil runs out? BP have publicly come out against the Yes campaign. The chief executive, who both sides consider to be a leading expert, thinks the reserves are well below the level in the white paper.

ROI are not in a shambles because they are attracting big business through tax cuts, I think you're getting mixed up in terms of timeline. They suffered worse than most when the entire World went into recession hence the bailout. They're experiencing growth because of the cuts not the opposite.

The oil revenues aside we are on par with the rest of the UK, they are what makes us richer not what props us up. British Petroleum (I emphasise the name) have a vested interest in the outcome of the Referendum hence their sudden interjection. The independent commentators are fairly split down the middle, as an example we have been told by a Professor and leading oil expert today that oil will continue at the same levels and higher until 2050 and beyond at the very least not factoring in technological advancements in the interim.
Hammer

10th Sep 14 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
Whatever happens it's all fun and games. It would be a lot easier if both sides told even partial truths to base a decision on.

Salmond realistically has no idea and frankly doesn't care. He is in a win win situation. Westminster just need to keep everything a bit wooly to scare people.

It's not really fun and games it's the biggest decision this Country has ever made.

Salmond, of all people, cares. Suggesting otherwise would be to completely disregard the thing his career has existed for. He has stated on numerous occasions he would retire today if it guaranteed a Yes vote next week. He most definitely is NOT in a win/win situation, if No wins next week his Political career is a failure.
Pop

10th Sep 14 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Alex Salmond really cared about the future of Scotland beyond the next generation he would have made a better effort to answer some questions. I know Westminster and others have made it difficult, but in your own words, this is the biggest decision your country has ever had to make. If it was my decision I'd want a hell of a lot more reassurances.

I can't see beyond a win win for Salmond. If you vote Yes he will be known as the man who brought independence. He then steps down and if it goes tits up everyone will blame the new Scottish government. If you vote no, it will be a blow to him but ultimately he will be known as the man who went for independence and came away with more power for Scotland.

I am not anti-Scottish. I went to uni in Glasgow, then lived in Glasgow and worked in Edinburgh afterwards. I have lots of friends dotted about all over who this will affect.

Whether the future is good or bad it's your vote and nothing else matters.
Russ

11th Sep 14 at 05:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ROI are in a herendous mess.. That desperate they are allowing themselves to be shafted. There's newly built developments that lie less than a quarter sold (purpose built with schools to support them and new train platforms to allow commuting to Dublin) and it ha the highest emigration rate in the EU with over 250 people leaving a day..
Russ

11th Sep 14 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, this "we didn't vote that party in" bollocks is just that, bollocks. Only a 50% turnout for the Scottish parliament election in 2012, so half of you didn't even bother to vote for that.

Separation would cause huge economic unrest, and as pop said, nothing worse than uncertainty in financial markets. "we don't need submarines to protect Scotland because nobody will hate us" what about the towns that are supported by them like Helensburgh.
"we don't need to build your ships we can build somebody else's" Yeah, you could, whose? What assurance would you be able to offer..

My fear is, 10% understand the repercussions and will vote yes. 10% understand the repercussions and will vote no. 80% will vote yes because some witty videos said they should/they hate the English/they want to be 'independent'
John

11th Sep 14 at 06:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's probably not far off what will happen. It'll be a surprise if that 100% makeup is 50% of population, although to be fair I suppose the recent interest might change that.
Steve
Premium Member

11th Sep 14 at 07:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ

My fear is, 10% understand the repercussions and will vote yes. 10% understand the repercussions and will vote no. 80% will vote yes because some witty videos said they should/they hate the English/they want to be 'independent'

Spot on. It will be the simpletons who decide this.

80% will be the Facebook bandwagon brigade. Sharing about 20 videos a day on their time lines about army men being made to pay for hand luggage in an airport, or how someone flashing their headlights at you means you're going to get knifed, or getting excited about a police officer catching a jet aircraft with a speed gun, and claiming Anderson will be the next best football player, etc

[Edited on 11-09-2014 by Steve]

<<  12    13    14    15    16    17    18  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Scotland 22 database queries in 0.0187762 seconds