corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd May 13 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100mile round trip last night to collect these bastards from my "local" citylink depot. GRRRR

Anyway, dropped the car off with Richard Henry first thing this morning and then went for a wander around the park which is close by. Got back to the garage at around 10:30 to find they had snapped a caliper bolt and stripped a thread on the rear calipers

He was being quite apologetic, but I was pissing myself behind my poker face - so glad I didn't tackle the rears myself!

They're going to drill/retap - but means they would have been pushed for time, so I told them I'd get the train home and then pickup the car tomorrow night.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

2nd May 13 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at least it's not your problem now.

100 mile round trip to the depot i was pissed off at my local dpd depot being over the QE2 bridge, meaning i had to pay £4 in tolls to collect my parcel.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd May 13 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
at least it's not your problem now.

100 mile round trip to the depot i was pissed off at my local dpd depot being over the QE2 bridge, meaning i had to pay £4 in tolls to collect my parcel.

Aye my heart sinks whenever I get a CityLink card through the door

Worst one was when I bought the GP bumpers for my Civic. I had booked a friday off work to receive the package and get started on the fitment. Parcel wasn't here by lunch time so phoned them up - it had gone to the wrong depot and they wouldn't deliver on a saturday. I raged like a madman but ultimately ended up driving the 100 miles, wasting a day off work and fitted on the saturday anyway.

Bastards.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

3rd May 13 at 06:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trip to scunny for camber bolts i take it?
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leeming Bar...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

3rd May 13 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CityLink are THE worst courier service in the country imo
Wrighty

3rd May 13 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Leeming Bar...

pwned, right trek that
whens next update
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ended up leaving the car with them yesterday so I could have a few pints in Wetherspoons and come home on the train

Collected the car today after work, £216.00 it came to for the fitting, alignment and caliper helicoiling.

The car pulled slightly to the left before the alignment, and Andy @ RH said he struggled to dial that out with the alignment so he opted to swap tyres front to back which seemed to sort it.

That's put my new rainsports on the back and the aging sportcontact 3's on the front. To be honest I've been underwhelmed by the rainsports, the car has felt quite floaty since getting them despite trying a range of tyre pressures.

With the conti's back on the front, the car feels much more solid at slow speed and slightly heavier to drive. At speed though, I'm disappointed as I've now got a vibration coming through the steering wheel at >60mph

The pulling to the left seems to have stopped, at least it's not so bad - but probably not perfect. Hard to tell with the road cambers round here!

The vibration scales with speed, got quite aggressive at 90+ and the car got REALLY floaty, knocked my confidence so just cruised it home. Gripping the wheel tighter stopped the vibration, it was only vibrating when I loosened my grip. No sound effects whilst it was going on, and it wasn't influenced by application of the brakes (unless slowing below 60mph).

I didn't really throw the car around any bends as my confidence was a bit low, but after a preliminary inspection tomorrow morning I'll take it for a ride to see how it feels under different conditions.

I'm guessing (hoping) it's a tyre issue with the conti's. I'll swap them back around tomorrow morning and while I've got the car on stands I'll give each wheel a good shake to make sure nothing is loose.

If it is the tyres, obviously they're going to want replacing. Annoyingly as I don't really like the rainsports I've got on the other two wheels I won't be going for a matching set. Maybe some new Sport Contacts for the fronts, leaving the rainsports on the back.

I checked tyre pressures when I got in:

FDriver: 35PSI
RDriver: 33.5PSI

FPassenger: 34PSI
RPassenger: 34PSI

All in the same ballpark, but I may let them all down to 30 and see how it feels.

Any other suggestions to check tomorrow? Assuming everything is correctly torqued up, I guess it can only be the tyres so hopefully it's a quick/easy (if not cheap!) fix.

If I can't find the issue over the weekend, I'll be back in touch with RH on Tuesday - but it's going to be a PITA getting the car back to them without wasting a day off work :@

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some pictures though, can't see the front stuff without being under the car - so you can wait till tomorrow

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

3rd May 13 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably just needing balanced. Maybe never been done properly and because it was on the back it wasn't noticeable.
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye good point, if swapping the wheels fixes it - I'll take em for balancing before buying new ones

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 19:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will this ever end?

New brakes look tasty though!
Jon_C
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheel bolts tight ???
bigron1988

3rd May 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like wheels need balancing to me too
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
Will this ever end

I hope not, because then I'll be bored!

Done loads of googling, my symptoms seem to match unbalanced wheels spot on so fingers crossed an easy fix tomorrow

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:
Will this ever end

I hope not, because then I'll be bored!

Done loads of googling, my symptoms seem to match unbalanced wheels spot on so fingers crossed an easy fix tomorrow

Fair point!

Don't go to Wilko Motosave. They will most likely try to sell you tyres! Bunch of idiots!
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
sounds like wheels need balancing to me too

Wrighty

4th May 13 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

funny everyone bangs on about rainsports but your the first person iv known to go buy them, and you said they are not that good! interesting

get tyres balanced boyo, bit of an oversight on RH's part if they swapped them and didnt balance them though? weird
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th May 13 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
funny everyone bangs on about rainsports but your the first person iv known to go buy them, and you said they are not that good! interesting

Like you I had heard nowt but good things about them, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed after getting them though. Car just feels floaty, hard to describe - not quite as connected.

Anyway, went to National Tyres first thing thing morning and got a slot booked for 13 : 00. I returned at 13 : 00 and they wasted no time in hoofing the car up on the ramps (after a few little rev squirts in the echo of the building, I heard you boys...) and whipped the wheels off for me. The lads @ National seemed like a good bunch, all stood under my car oogling at the bright orange goodies - gave them all the impression i've spent a fortune on it, so got a few nice comments

First front wheel came off, 15g out of balance so got that corrected. Onto the next, and they had to call me into the garage to take a look - I'm quickly learning that this is never a good thing

Doh!

He balanced them up best he could, but it did nothing to fix the vibrations - so now I need to find out if this wheel is repairable, or whether it needs replacing.

I'm quite fond of my wheels, so another set of rims isn't an option

Powdercoating was next on my list, so I'll ring around the local places on tuesday and see if anybody can tackle a buckled rim like this - but will keep an eye on the classifieds/ebay in the meantime.

[Edited on 04-05-2013 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

4th May 13 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bash it a bit back into shape and return it to the back, obviously wasn't noticeable before.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th May 13 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye will put it on the back again, but I'll make an effort to have it addressed when they go for powdercoating anyway.

I'll always be thinking about it now that I know it's there

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th May 13 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh FFS. This is getting ridiculous now

Just went outside to swap fronts for backs, did the passenger side no problemo, came to undo the driver side front and the locking wheel nut just fucking snapped. Upon inspection, it looks like my key has been damaged by one of the two garages the car has been at in the last 50 hours or so - half of the key is missing, so I'm guessing this added strain to the locking nut and bust it.

I'm not sure whether I want to risk swapping the other side back around incase I bust another nut - as it stands I've got a rainsport on the front left, conti rear left, conti front right and rainsport rear right. GRRR.

It's a McGard locking wheel nut thingy, ordering a new set of nuts ain't a problem - but how the fuck do I get the nut off which is broken, and do I risk undoing the other three without first trying to obtain a replacement key?

I love this car

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th May 13 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Broken key:

Broken nut:

I reckon if I chisel off the remaining chrome type stuff which surrounds the actual nut, I can hammer on a torx socket or something which is slightly undersized.

I watched the guy torque up my wheels, so they should come off easily enough once I get some purchase. I'd be worried if I'd seen him rattle gunning them back on!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

4th May 13 at 15:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a place in Kippax that does wheel refurn and i think they can straighten them out too.
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th May 13 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Pretty much summing up the last few weeks for me.

Good job I'm a cool motherfucker otherwise I'd be stomping around like a child

I've had a strong recommendation for a powdercoater in Castleford, so I'm going to ring him on tuesday to see if he can tackle the buckle as well. If not, I'll shop around and will stick Kippax on the list.

Found a place in York on google and their image library suggests they've repaired some incredibly damaged wheels - but their powdercoat finish doesn't look amazing tbh.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0216269 seconds