corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
Jamie Walby

User status: Offline
21st Feb 13 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to order some Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheels for my road bike this morning and had to deal with a customer. Just got round to having another crack and now they are sold out! Gutted
Cole

21st Feb 13 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the same the other day was going to order my new cannondale 29er went to order it and 1hr before was in stock next sold out
deano87

21st Feb 13 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I earnt £1.20 cashback today on CRC through Quidco. Whittie will be proud
Jamie Walby

21st Feb 13 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of bike shops on quidco. From memory

Chain Reaction
Wiggle
Evans
Probikekit
Merlon cycles
Cyclestore
Hargroves
Rutland

I am at the point now if I get pissed off with myself if I order something online and forget to check with quidco
Jamie Walby

21st Feb 13 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
I had the same the other day was going to order my new cannondale 29er went to order it and 1hr before was in stock next sold out

Which one you getting?
Cole

21st Feb 13 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was getting a 29er sl trail single speed
Nic Barnes

21st Feb 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why single speed?
Jamie Walby

21st Feb 13 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't get my head around single speed mountain bikes
Nic Barnes

21st Feb 13 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play in a down hill bike you carry up to the top, but actual mountain bike, and cross country stuff, you need gears?
Cole

21st Feb 13 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been riding a friends 29er ss for a few weeks on my local trails 1st night out on it attempted a climb on it that usually after 200yrds or so I'm struggling on my bike on the ss I made it up the whole hill 1.7miles and 460ft of elevation that gets steeper the further up you get. That sold me on it tbh but then it just kept going out of stock everywhere now decided to upgrade my bike over the yr it's the aim of getting a carbon frame for it all next ye some time

[Edited on 21-02-2013 by Cole]
Simon

21st Feb 13 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not convinced you only got up the hill because it was single speed If you only used one gear on your normal bike it would be more or less the same I think it's more about how it makes you ride, you attack hills a lot harder basically cause you have no other option. A few of the guys I ride with have single speeds in rigid or hard tail format, they are probably the fittest riders amongst us
Cole

22nd Feb 13 at 04:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The whole way it rode just felt easier maybe I was just on one that night lol I have to admit after that climb I was fucked and it ruined me for the rest of the ride especially as we do that climb twice. Another reason I was going to get it was a fitness thing
Jamie Walby

22nd Feb 13 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting a Charge Plug single speed for commuting to work on next month. Sod using a single speed mountain
Bike though

Ordered my new wheels in the end, 15% extra off at Evans plus £13 quidco cashback made the price come down to about the same as the place sold out. Then a separate order for the tools which were 3 for 2, bargain hunter.
Cole

22nd Feb 13 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Single speed mtbs are really popular round my way ome guy I ride with is even running a fixed wheel always has to pedal as no freewheeling lol sod that
Doug

22nd Feb 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will need a new chain and rear cassette soon (according to LBS) so I have done some looking around...

I fancy this at the front:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=2812&ModelID=90243&PartnerID=2812&utm_source=Awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic&_$ja=tsid:41244|cgn:awin|kw:60612&awc=2698_1361528496_5c472427f64b189c1b313051cf95a3c1

Would that work on my bike?

There are so many different types of this stuff its baffling.

It's a Giant Anthem X4 2010 that came with:
Shimano Deore/SLX 27 speed shifting with Shimano Deore crankset.

Can someone spec a good value chain, rear cassette and possibly front chain ring/crank setup?
ed

22nd Feb 13 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bike I ordered is actually out of stock Will be delivered on Tuesday though and as it's getting lighter in the evening I'll be able to put it together and ride in and out of work next week
Cole

22nd Feb 13 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking at the same last night doug
Simon

22nd Feb 13 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do think single speeds are good for fitness and plain simplicity, the amount of things I have had to replace recently on my bike is stupid, little to go wrong on a single speed, especially a rigid! Very templed to turn my computer into ss, spends most of the time locked up outside at work through all the snow and rain so chainset becomes a state.

Walby you seem to spend tons on bikes!

Doug, do you need a triple? Lots of people ditching triples for double and a bash guard these days. In my opinion you don't need to spend more than £40 on a casette and chain, just get SRAM/Shimanon in the right speed and replace every year or so and you are laughing
ed

22nd Feb 13 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always wanted a single speed DMR Trialstar when I was younger Would have built it with some suspension forks though...
Cole

22nd Feb 13 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very happy with the service from jejamescycles order brakes at 10pm wed night online arrived at 9am this morning now just got fit them and try them out
Nic Barnes

22nd Feb 13 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

christ cole, youre all bike these days. how is it working for the weight loss? its the main thing apart diet that i did was exercise bike. although actual biking is a lot better ive found.
Cole

22nd Feb 13 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last weighin was monday 7lb loss in a week
Liam

22nd Feb 13 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
I will need a new chain and rear cassette soon (according to LBS) so I have done some looking around...

I fancy this at the front:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=2812&ModelID=90243&PartnerID=2812&utm_source=Awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic&_$ja=tsid:41244|cgn:awin|kw:60612&awc=2698_1361528496_5c472427f64b189c1b313051cf95a3c1

Would that work on my bike?

There are so many different types of this stuff its baffling.

It's a Giant Anthem X4 2010 that came with:
Shimano Deore/SLX 27 speed shifting with Shimano Deore crankset.

Can someone spec a good value chain, rear cassette and possibly front chain ring/crank setup?

Why not just replace the chainrings? If you want to replace the crankset, I'd just get SLX (triple or double depending what you want) XT cassette and an SLX/XT/XTR chain, whichever is the best value...

As someone mentioned, lots of people are going 2x10 these days, I've gone 1x10 on my Five, as I only use it at trail centres so doubt I would ever require many more gears as with a 36 tooth cassette I find that I have enough gears to climb everything at Cannock..

I've just bought a 3x10 SLX crankset to use on my new bike that I'm building, as I'm going to use it for full days riding so I think 3x10 is ideal..
Jamie Walby

22nd Feb 13 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Walby you seem to spend tons on bikes!

A fair bit. I've started spending more the last 6 months as I've started taking it more seriously. I can't play football any more so cycling is my only sport/hobby now

Rode my first ton in a while today. Will link the ride up when I upload to Strava tomorrow.
Jamie Walby

23rd Feb 13 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://app.strava.com/activities/41916015

<<  14    15    16    17    18    19    20  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 23 database queries in 0.0198281 seconds