corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend Football Thread - Sponsored by Kenny Huang

New Poll
  <<  15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weekend Football Thread - Sponsored by Kenny Huang
Robbo

User status: Offline
24th Aug 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206I watched the whole game yesterday and Poulsen wasn't sighted as far as i'm concerned, if you are right with him not being fit then he'll improve but if that was how he is i'd be very worried.
You realise Poulsen didnt come off the becnh
Robbo

where is insua?
Tom

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
I watched the whole game yesterday and Poulsen wasn't sighted as far as i'm concerned, if you are right with him not being fit then he'll improve but if that was how he is i'd be very worried.

The defence thing, i think zonal marking is a waste of tie and was partly the reason you guys conceeded quite a few goals from set pieces last season, man to man is much better.

Personally i think the problem lies with the players, carragher isn't good enough anymore imo, should move agger to centre back, and throw a kid in at the deep end at left back. I actually quite like Skrytl or however you spell it. Good in the air and pretty solid

Can you elaborate on the bit in bold please? Just so I can be sure i understand what you are saying?

Zonal and man to man both have there positives and negatives, the reason zonal failed us last season was down to the players understanding of it and a general lack of confidence throughout the team. We had the best defensive record for years with zonal marking before last year, I just dislike the way the 'experts' on sky make there mind up about something and everyone swallows it like it's gospel.

Our future is Agger and Skrtl as the CB pairing, but we need another LB before the windown shuts as kelly (who is the obvious 'young' choice') is more of a RB.
Robbo

24th Aug 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in fairness after the game andy gray actually said the 2nd wouldnt have been conceded under zonla marking as johnson somehow ended up on the post and torres or kuyt i think off the other post playing tevez onside
strick206

24th Aug 10 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Originally posted by strick206I watched the whole game yesterday and Poulsen wasn't sighted as far as i'm concerned, if you are right with him not being fit then he'll improve but if that was how he is i'd be very worried.

Ahh that's why he wasn't sighted, if you read Tom's earlier post, it appears to read like Masch didn't play, and a part fit poulsen (i read that as playing but not fit, a bit like torres)

No wonder i didn't see him
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Jovanavic is fucking useless as well
Kuyt for me is unsettled and is really considering going to Inter

If Masch goes as well that leaves you very light in terms of squad and very very light on quality

Agger aint no left back, glen johnson still cant defend.

Torres looked ok i thought last night, clearly short of fitness but still dangerous. Gerrard was very wasteful imo

Just to go back to these points, I agree Jova had a poor game last night, but he's looked decent so far so i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (seeing as he's only played 4 competetive games for us!). Kuyt was poor, I very much doubt he'll leave though.

Masch wants to leave, and we will probably use the money from him to buy a new LB and either more cover for CM or a back up striker which will balance the squad a little. Poulsen isn't as invisible as you suggested from his performance (sitting on the bench) last night
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ahh that's why he wasn't sighted, if you read Tom's earlier post, it appears to read like Masch didn't play, and a part fit poulsen (i read that as playing but not fit, a bit like torres)

No wonder i didn't see him

Apologies if it wasn't clear but I meant that Poulsen wasn't ready to fill Masch's boots in the likely 4-5-1 formation that we would have used if he were fit.
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
in fairness after the game andy gray actually said the 2nd wouldnt have been conceded under zonla marking as johnson somehow ended up on the post and torres or kuyt i think off the other post playing tevez onside

He did, which is even funnier, I could probably find you about 38 clips of him saying it was a useless system last season though!
strick206

24th Aug 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom

Can you elaborate on the bit in bold please? Just so I can be sure i understand what you are saying?

Zonal and man to man both have there positives and negatives, the reason zonal failed us last season was down to the players understanding of it and a general lack of confidence throughout the team. We had the best defensive record for years with zonal marking before last year, I just dislike the way the 'experts' on sky make there mind up about something and everyone swallows it like it's gospel.

Our future is Agger and Skrtl as the CB pairing, but we need another LB before the windown shuts as kelly (who is the obvious 'young' choice') is more of a RB.

As above, mis-read your first post

I think the main problem with zonal marking is people moving through zones, can leave confusion as to what you should be doing and therefore leaving people with free headers etc

I agree Agger and Skrtl and the CB pairing, i think Agger is good as well to tell the truth, the problem lies with the wing backs

Johnson clearly isnt a defender, when kuyt goes (and i expect he will do) they should buy a right back, or play Kelly there, and move johnson into right midfield where he will be much much better
strick206

24th Aug 10 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Apologies if it wasn't clear but I meant that Poulsen wasn't ready to fill Masch's boots in the likely 4-5-1 formation that we would have used if he were fit.

No worries, can see how i read it wrongly though based on your post

Even if it was a stupid thing for me to say Although he was invisible on the pitch, haha
Cosmo

24th Aug 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont get the massive issue you have with Johnson Strick

He didnt have a great game last night but dont think he was the main reason for us getting beat. City had most the success down their right (against Agger). Johnson is an attacking LB and will get caught up field at times, its part of his game and should be accepted and the rest of the team should be set up to cover for this - so this is via Kuyt either sitting slightly if Johnson goes ahead or Lucas being the defending midfielder and covering.
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom

As above, mis-read your first post

I think the main problem with zonal marking is people moving through zones, can leave confusion as to what you should be doing and therefore leaving people with free headers etc

I agree Agger and Skrtl and the CB pairing, i think Agger is good as well to tell the truth, the problem lies with the wing backs

Johnson clearly isnt a defender, when kuyt goes (and i expect he will do) they should buy a right back, or play Kelly there, and move johnson into right midfield where he will be much much better

Agreed that can be a problem, but man to man can have the same effect in a different way, it's easy to lose your man amongst all of the movement in front of you, both systems can work, it's all about being well drilled and in particular what we were missing with zonal last season was players being quick enough to react and chase the ball out of danger.

Johnson is clearly very comfortable on the ball, but he's no where near as bad defensively as people believe and he improved that side of his game alot last season, it's all about having a system that makes use of proper full backs and balance from each wing to the other, which arguably we haven't got at the moment.

[Edited on 24-08-2010 by Tom]
strick206

24th Aug 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

Personally i think he is an average at best right back, but plenty good enough to be a winger

He gets found out defensively alot imo, out of position and also when he is in position he isn't a particularly good defender
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Personally i think he is an average at best right back, but plenty good enough to be a winger

He gets found out defensively alot imo, out of position and also when he is in position he isn't a particularly good defender

That sounds like you have more of a dislike for the position he fills than him then, getting cuaght out of position is part of his role (!). The fact that you, and others, question his defensive ability is probably down to the fact he's played in alot of teams where he's not been sufficiently covered and had to try and get back to cover his position. Yes he get's beat one on one sometimes but plenty of defenders do, he gets alot of stick for it every time.
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
where is insua?

On his way out, he's not got long on his contract, some reckon he's not willing to sign another one (and therefore we want to cash in now) and some beleive he hasn't been offered one, and again therefore we want to cash in.
Robbo

24th Aug 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh, heard his move to fiorentina fell though cos of injury but wasnt sure long term where he had gone

be itnerested in bridge if man city let him go ?
Cosmo

24th Aug 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
ahh, heard his move to fiorentina fell though cos of injury but wasnt sure long term where he had gone

Money was the reason IIRC, they couldnt agree on personal terms.
Tommy L

24th Aug 10 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

City won't sell him to Liverpool
Robbo

24th Aug 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may not get a choice soon - wenger identified a flaw in the fa's 25 man system, anyone can buy themselves out of a contratc if play less than 10% of games

will start seeign that soon over next 6 months imo

that said, all clubs have an unwritten rule of not signing players who have bought themselves out of their contratcs but suspect that will change with this 25 man squad thing
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Money was the reason IIRC, they couldnt agree on personal terms.

Yeah he wanted more money than they were offering. There was talk of a move to Genoa as well, not sure where that is up to. Apparently he's got a scouse girlfriend, he's also told a fan that saw him in a restaurant that he's not going anywhere, but he's got no squad number see what happens with that one!
Robbo

24th Aug 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ultimate insult

pacheco #12 - must have high hopes for him. wher eis this danny wilson lad you bought, no sign of him yet?
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy L
quote:

City won't sell him to Liverpool

I don't want bridge at liverpool.
Cosmo

24th Aug 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
pacheco #12 - must have high hopes for him. wher eis this danny wilson lad you bought, no sign of him yet?

Pacheco is a quality player, will be in the first team by the end of the season imo.

As for Wilson, is only young and just signed, will play a bit in the reserves/train with the first team and be brought through gradually.
Robbo

24th Aug 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh i thought he was older and established, didnt realise he was a youngster
Tom

24th Aug 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the ultimate insult

Pacheco is going to be brilliant, that was one tiny positive from last night. You will see Danny Wilson in Carling Cup and not much else this year, he's 4th/5th choice CB.

<<  15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend Football Thread - Sponsored by Kenny Huang 23 database queries in 0.0210660 seconds