corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  16    17    18    19    20    21    22  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th May 06 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thrust through a jet = pressure of air*duct area*Jet velocity*(Jet velocity - Ground speed)

from Savitsky Planing Theory and 2D/3D Lift Theory
meemawuk

24th May 06 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
THE QUESTION STATES THAT THE PLANES WHEELS AND THE CONVEYOR BELT IS AT THE SAME SPEED, THEREFORE THE PLANE WILL BE STATIONARY.

DO YOU NOT GET IT JOHN?

the question states:
If an aeroplane is taking off but is on a conveyor belt that is moving at the same speed as the plane, would the plane take off?

Mongo??
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by Greg_M
AND THE PENNY HAS DROPPED

I finally understand. yes it would take off

It wouldn't Greg, the conveyor belt matches the speed of the craft.

As soon as the plane tries to move off, the belt starts rolling.

The faster the plane tries to push itself forwards, the faster the belt turns maintaining the plane's location and preventing lift.

The wheels will be going very very very fast and the engines can be flat out with afterburner on too, but she aint going anywhere.

no mate think about what your saying. It says the belt matches the planes speed. So plane at 10 mph = belt at 10 mph yes?

what force is being pushed against the plane at 10 mph? well considering the wheels can freely spin, not much.

If there is 26400 lb ft of thrust force - which is what pushes the plane forwards. and considerably less force being pushed against it - the plane will move forward.

SVN your thinking the same as dave. but you gotta think what is actually being matched - not the force, but merely the speed of the plane ACTUALLY moving forward. If as you say it's stationary (hence no lift) then the belt will be stationary.
Hammer

24th May 06 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Thrust through a jet = pressure of air*duct area*Jet velocity*(Jet velocity - Ground speed)

why try and overcook everything with numbers and scientific mumbo jumbo that is completely irrelevant to anything?
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

The faster the plane tries to push itself forwards, the faster the belt turns maintaining the plane's location and preventing lift.

The wheels will be going very very very fast and the engines can be flat out with afterburner on too, but she aint going anywhere.

thats the way i see it svm, it would make the plane appear stationary apart from the wheels which are rolling.

its the same as a treadmill, treadmill goes at 7mph, your legs run at 7mph therefore this is the reason you appear to run on the spot.
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no I'm proving the connection between thrust and speed - as was previously written off by Paul

and how is it irrelevant - its infront of me and is from a guy that developed the design of jet engined planes and boats

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by LiVe LeE]
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THINK

or look here http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=286564
John

24th May 06 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Darren and SVM are just totally wrong in general.
None of you are understanding the question.
Jules S
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Funny how everytime you ask me a question and I answer it you ignore me to perpetuate you misguided thinking.

Whilst you are eloquent in your posts, the facts you are peddling are twaddle.

Read my post/explanation on the previous page and answer that
Paul_J

24th May 06 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenGSi
quote:
quote:

thats the way i see it svm, it would make the plane appear stationary apart from the wheels which are rolling.

its the same as a treadmill, treadmill goes at 7mph, your legs run at 7mph therefore this is the reason you appear to run on the spot.

If a treadmill is at 7 mph and you have roller skates on, and you hold onto the sides (just sitting there free spinning) then your mate (called thrust) pushes you from behind, will you not go forward - regardless of the speed the treadmill is set at?
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the engine isnt pushing the plane in relation to the conveyor belt, its pushing it in relation to the surrounding air.
Hammer

quote:
no I'm proving the connection between thrust and speed - as was previously written off by Paul

and how is it irrelevant - its infront of me and is from a guy that developed the design of jet engined planes and boats

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by LiVe LeE]

oh right didn't spot that, do apologise
DarrenGSi

thats bollocks, it will only take off if the plane can go faster than the belt, but they are both the same speed
Carl

24th May 06 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you have all missed a vital point though! Are the seat layed horizontal or up vertical, if they are horizontal the plane will fly, if not the weight will become an issue.
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fbvhnweiubgueg

there must be a vid somewhere
Hammer

24th May 06 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
you have all missed a vital point though! Are the seat layed horizontal or up vertical, if they are horizontal the plane will fly, if not the weight will become an issue.

Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres my pretty crappy demo

http://www.poisoft.co.uk/car.zip

Right click save as, rename it car.3gp

Watch how the wood is pulled back i can move the car along just as easily as if it were on solid ground

if you cant see it get Quicktime alternative

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=1848&s=66

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Steve]
John

The conveyor could be going at 5 million miles an hour.
It is totally irrelevant.
The planes wheels wheels will then turn at 5 million miles an hour + the speed the plane is travelling at.
SVM 286

quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04

...can you tell me what would happen if the conveyor underneath the aircraft is moving at five times the speed of the aircraft itself? discounting tyre blowouts and other variables

Yes Mr. 04, the craft would exit the rear of the conveyor unless the engines were powered up to compensate.
DarrenGSi

24th May 06 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the question states that the plane and belt are going the smae speed. the plane is at max speed therefore no thrust, can it take off now?
John

24th May 06 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it woudnl't.
It would stay stationary unless the brakes were on.
You have just proved yourself wrong.
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all down to wether the wheels would spin at a higher velocity than the speed of the plane due to thrust

I think, due to the mass and gravitational pull that the two wilol act pretty much the same and as such there will be no velocity of advance; no forward momentum and no take off

if however the two are to be believed as acting seperately then the plane chassis could exceed the pull of the conveyour

I do see understand the supposed reasons why the plane would take off but i disagree that they would occur and even if they did - the likelyhood of reaching the 180mph required for take off is almost impossible

supposing that the plane does break the conveyour speed restrictions - it would need engines capable of supplying twice the required power - as a ground speed of 360 mph would be required for take off in order top equate a 180mph air speed

almost un-achieveable by my estimations
John

24th May 06 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if the conveyor is moving at the speed of the plane the wheels will just spin faster.
Robin
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John has it right there
Robin
Premium Member

someone email boeing

<<  16    17    18    19    20    21    22  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.0183182 seconds