corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 32Mb DSL

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 32Mb DSL
John

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 04 at 01:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But it won't be ADSL if it was all fibre optic? Japan have 10mbit connections for about 30 odd quid a month We are miles behind. Sweden and places have ethernet don't they so you don't even need a modem.
Cybermonkey

23rd Nov 04 at 03:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out here in auz i have a 256k connection, and i regularly see 1mb/sec
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Nov 04 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
hopefully in less than a year too

Japan have 1Gb ADSL

surely thats not over copper? Didn't think ADSL went that high....
Pablo

23rd Nov 04 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drunkenfool

23rd Nov 04 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

Japan have 1Gb ADSL

Last i heard, the max limit over copper is VDSL @ 54mbps, but that can only run over very short distances. 1gb is a hell of a jump, so im asuming thats over fiber optics.
Cybermonkey

23rd Nov 04 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT actually installed fibre optics between all major cities around 20 years ago, so it would not suprise me that the network for FO has been expanded since then.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Nov 04 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:
quote:

Japan have 1Gb ADSL

Last i heard, the max limit over copper is VDSL @ 54mbps, but that can only run over very short distances. 1gb is a hell of a jump, so im asuming thats over fiber optics.

I wouldnt be suprised if there was a xDSL technology with them kind of speeds but I'm sure (from what I know so far) ADSL cannot reach 1gbps?
willay
Premium Member

23rd Nov 04 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
BT actually installed fibre optics between all major cities around 20 years ago, so it would not suprise me that the network for FO has been expanded since then.

Not suprising really, the only problem we have now is from our premises to the exchange
Nismo

23rd Nov 04 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Japan have 1Gb ADSL

no its no ADSL as such but its accross Fibre Optic network , just i dont know what its real name is so i said ADSL to keep it simple.
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Nov 04 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good

BT's core network I think it 100% operating at 2.5Gbit now.... Should be on 10Gbit in the next couple of years... They achieved 40Gbit along a single fibre last year at my uni so that's gonna be coming soon too....

The previous core network was built around SDH which has rates based around a core 155Mbit. I think what they're starting to suggest is as they replace the core network with multi-gigabit networks, they can move the SDH network further out, until we all end up with fibre in our houses...

Not sure how long it will be until we have fibre in our houses -- it's not really necessary (even cable companies only put coax into your house which is carrying quite a few gbit's)
Dom

23rd Nov 04 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cable companies have fibre upto the green cabs, then its copper from there to the houses however, neither of the cable companies have the network to carried massive amounts of data, especially not NTL with its two different networks (cable-tel and C&W).

However, its very impratical using copper for high speed internet connections as like willay has said, the further your away from the source (exchange) the slower the speed...therefore fibre to the house is the only way we can achieve HSIC (high-speed internet connections).
Although Cat5 into houses would also be another idea - using sometihng along the lines of fibre to cabs outside, then cat5 into the homes, which would allow atleast 100Mb connections for Tv, Internet, VOD etc etc
markBezzy

23rd Nov 04 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fook it just get satalite connections.

Shit ping time rates tho
Dom

23rd Nov 04 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by markBezzy
fook it just get satalite connections.

Shit ping time rates tho

true, but majority of sat ISPs only offer 4Mb connections tops and is a shite load more than any DSL or cable connection.
plus like you say, pings are terrible, even on two way direct sat connections...so that rules out gaming etc ec
markBezzy

23rd Nov 04 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit for surfing but ok for downloading once its connected.
Dom

23rd Nov 04 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by markBezzy
shit for surfing but ok for downloading once its connected.

ive only ever had a play with it for a few mins and i didnt find surfing too bad was like being on a 128k connection...but yea downloads were excellent

Although if you really are limited for internet connections - a few ISPs offer a microwave links (alot of schools have them) and you can see some decent connections on those
drunkenfool

23rd Nov 04 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just used the computers in the main room which arent limited to 10 meg cos of the halls network, and got this../

Computers here arent that good eitehr, so i reckon it could be better
Cybermonkey

24th Nov 04 at 03:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also you have to remember that many countries still only communicate over older fat pipes, apart from ones like japan-us, us-uk, east european countries still struggle around with 400mbps pipes to other parts of europe. Big bottleneck on whole networks possinly...
The connections between islands of japan are just crazy, like 500gbps upwards

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 32Mb DSL 22 database queries in 0.0432940 seconds