corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 888

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 888
Daimo B

User status: Offline
3rd Aug 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has been argued many times already.

You need to compare the VXR to the 150 Derv as these are both standard models.

The 888 is a tuned external edition. Give the VXR the same tuning as the 888 has and it'll have around 280bhp, the same 4 pots, and the same suspension kit. In which case, the VXR will leave it standing.

888 is a brilliant car, 145+mph, and returning 45mpg still.

Styling wise, I also prefer the VXR, but thats an opinion and everyones different.

It also smokes a lot...

They are currently looking into tuning goodies for the 888.
bradgsi

3rd Aug 06 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get the 888 upgrade for the 1.9 cdti. just the bodystyling is diferent.
Daimo B

3rd Aug 06 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradgsi
You can get the 888 upgrade for the 1.9 cdti. just the bodystyling is diferent.

The 888 IS the 1.9 CDti.

It gets built, then sent off to 888 to be tuned, upgraded etc.

Only 100 were made.
mwg

3rd Aug 06 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

888 is a standard model, its just not an official model
Ry_B
Banned

3rd Aug 06 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 10 Pence Short
quote:
more torque to pull out of the corners? I dunno

Well for starters the weight of the engine would make it harder to slow down and harder to turn into the corner. Then through the corner it's be more inclined to head straight on, then exiting the corner, assuming they're in the right gear, the VXR driver would be able to exploit the near 40bhp advantage over the 888. Unless they had to stay in one gear, the relative torque would have nowt to do with it.

I get the feeling you are:

Middle aged, have to pay for your own petrol, either own a CTR ( ) or something along those lines, Japanese?

Just jealous that you don't get such good MPG as a modern diesel but get 0.2 seconds quicker 0-60 IMO TBH IIRC etc
Scoty B

3rd Aug 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
This has been argued many times already.

You need to compare the VXR to the 150 Derv as these are both standard models.

The 888 is a tuned external edition. Give the VXR the same tuning as the 888 has and it'll have around 280bhp, the same 4 pots, and the same suspension kit. In which case, the VXR will leave it standing.

888 is a brilliant car, 145+mph, and returning 45mpg still.

Styling wise, I also prefer the VXR, but thats an opinion and everyones different.

It also smokes a lot...

They are currently looking into tuning goodies for the 888.

Then they wouldn't cost roughly the same.
10 Pence Short

3rd Aug 06 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I get the feeling you are:

Middle aged,

Is 27 middle aged?

quote:
have to pay for your own petrol,

Nope, I get to choose a company car and they pay for the petrol (not diesel!! )

quote:
either own a CTR ( ) or something along those lines, Japanese?

I drive a 2.4 Accord.

quote:
Just jealous that you don't get such good MPG as a modern diesel but get 0.2 seconds quicker 0-60 IMO TBH IIRC etc

I don't care about the MPG- I don't pay for my petrol. I don't like diesels because they're heavier than the petrol equivalent, the usable rev range of diesel engines is very poor and they're killing people far faster in terms of carcenagens than petrols are.

So you got 1 out of about 4 right. Well done.
Jules

3rd Aug 06 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
888 is better on the motorway, more economical, not as common, not as tacky looking IMO, I'd definitely go for the 888 over the VXR.

What RRB said
bubble

3rd Aug 06 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id have the 888.

we havin a few vxr's coming back with engine troubles, they do 3miles to the gallon, use 5 gallons everytime u turn the key. the 888 is mega rare-goes like stink and returns good mileage. who cares if its a diesel? diesel are overtaking petrol!
Daimo B

4th Aug 06 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
id have the 888.

we havin a few vxr's coming back with engine troubles, they do 3miles to the gallon, use 5 gallons everytime u turn the key. the 888 is mega rare-goes like stink and returns good mileage. who cares if its a diesel? diesel are overtaking petrol!

160 kph and 7mpg... 3mpg, no chance, not unless your runnign about 5 bar boost.... I've not had it below 7mpg on hard acceleration. Usually about 20-30mpg.

Your the first i've heard talk about VXR engine issues, and I use 3 VXR sites?

We get between 250-300 miles per tank, which is about 45 litres. Diesel wins in the fuel economy stakes without fail.

But the Petrol can be tuned more for less £££ as its in a standard tuned format, where-as the derv is alread tuned. VXR has a different engine configuration over the 170 and 200bhp petrol turbos (oil spray bars etc).
Cybermonkey

4th Aug 06 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra has a 52litre tank
Daimo B

4th Aug 06 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had ours at 1 mile left on the adjustable fuel computer (realistically, about 10 miles left).

Took 45 litres, thats click, fuel, click fuel all the way up.... Definatly didn't have 7 litres in there.
Robin
Premium Member

4th Aug 06 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

According to the Vauxhall website, it has a 52 Litre tank.
Daimo B

4th Aug 06 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably from dead empty to fuel neck top. Certainly not been fit that much fuel in there, and i've deffo tried (the more you put in, the more day it'll take to run out )

Opposed to my corsa with 44 litre tank, and i've got 46 litres in it
Cybermonkey

4th Aug 06 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you honestly believe what the fuel pump at the garage is telling you they are grossly inaccurate. you HAVE a 52litre tank
MatG

4th Aug 06 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
id have the 888.

I
160 kph and 7mpg... 3mpg, no chance, not unless your runnign about 5 bar boost.... I've not had it below 7mpg on hard acceleration. Usually about 20-30mpg.

Your the first i've heard talk about VXR engine issues, and I use 3 VXR sites?

We get between 250-300 miles per tank, which is about 45 litres. Diesel wins in the fuel economy stakes without fail.

But the Petrol can be tuned more for less £££ as its in a standard tuned format, where-as the derv is alread tuned. VXR has a different engine configuration over the 170 and 200bhp petrol turbos (oil spray bars etc).

I had a VXR doing 6.1 MPG at the weekend, its not hard

[Edited on 04-08-2006 by MatG]
Daimo B

8th Aug 06 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats another thing with the VXR, fueling.... Weird stuff....

I've tried, but not had it below 7mg. Thats through different states of hard throttle, top speed, hard acceleration, mid gear acceleration etc..... Not had it below 7, and i've tried!

But...

Theres a VXR owner stating he's getting 350-400 miles to a tank!!! And he gives it some beans (he says) so very strange..

Same way unleaded is terrible for power (i.e it looses it all ) and Super makes it move like it really should do.....

Still, we don't pay for most of our fuel, so hapy days.. If your worried about juice, get a derv, don't buy a petrol 2.0 turbo
Jambo

8th Aug 06 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure i saw in TV that you can still buy 888's new??????
mwg

8th Aug 06 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I got my copy of TV through on Friday and they are still advertising new 888's
Claire

8th Aug 06 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
you honestly believe what the fuel pump at the garage is telling you they are grossly inaccurate. you HAVE a 52litre tank

I think it is more likely that the gauge in the car is inaccurate and that there was more fuel in there than he though. Petrol pumps are regularly calibrated by trading standards to very small tolerances. If they were inaccurate, the fuel companies would soon be prosecuted under weights and measures.
ssj_kakarot

8th Aug 06 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey

yeah that would be a bit stupid tbh, getting charged for less fuel than you believe your getting.
Daimo B

8th Aug 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, the pumps never usually read the litres put out.

You can't work it out from the price of the fuel

Done it again last night, 15 miles left, filled up with 43 litres.... 10 litres doesn't cover 15 miles (well.... maybe ) and teh fuel meter usually gives about 10 miles over the computer readout...
Marc

8th Aug 06 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needle on fuel gauge isn't accurate. When my needle is level with empty there is 1/4 of a tank left. Differant car obviously but same principle.

If you want to measure fairly accurately, measure your mpg from when the car has half a tank to the the light coming on.
Daimo B

8th Aug 06 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude, its a new car, they don't use needles anymore other than looks im sure

Its done via the computer. Its horrible watching the fuel change. You have 320 miles, cool, put your foot down, you have 220 miles..

DOH

Its constently changing, but when below x litres (or 30 miles) it brings you up a warning, then asks you if your would like to find the nearest, shell, BP, esso etc garage

Its great...
MatG

8th Aug 06 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Thats another thing with the VXR, fueling.... Weird stuff....

I've tried, but not had it below 7mg. Thats through different states of hard throttle, top speed, hard acceleration, mid gear acceleration etc..... Not had it below 7, and i've tried!

But...

Theres a VXR owner stating he's getting 350-400 miles to a tank!!! And he gives it some beans (he says) so very strange..

Same way unleaded is terrible for power (i.e it looses it all ) and Super makes it move like it really should do.....

Still, we don't pay for most of our fuel, so hapy days.. If your worried about juice, get a derv, don't buy a petrol 2.0 turbo

all you need to do is get it off the clock, so about 160MPH indicated (was doing 149MPH on the GPRS though), it soon shows 6.1mpg

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 888 22 database queries in 0.0171239 seconds