corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Right, 1.2 8v troubleshooting help needed...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Right, 1.2 8v troubleshooting help needed...
Rob H

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 06 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long shot, but the crank/cam sensor could be being dodgy? If they've got them, I presume they have though. If there's no signal from those, the ecu won't know when to spark. Could also be the ECU. .
Cybermonkey

22nd Oct 06 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you check to see if the timing was out? maybe its skipped a tooth...
CorsAsh

22nd Oct 06 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked at the timing and the TDC marks were lined up fine on both the cam and crank.

No cam sensor Rob, not sure on crank, think theres one of them though.
ed

22nd Oct 06 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
Long shot, but the crank/cam sensor could be being dodgy? If they've got them, I presume they have though. If there's no signal from those, the ecu won't know when to spark. Could also be the ECU. .
It's got mechanical ignition
Kano

22nd Oct 06 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok... maybe miles off with this but ive been there and done the same as you..

On an 8v cavalier I had I had a misfire that I traced to being the head... stripped and rebuilt the head and it was still exactly the same..

The problem ended up being dodgy petrol from a supermarket that had water in it and had blocked an injector.. n.b. the combustion chamber was still sooty and wet as if it was fuelling fine..

Seams strange you have the miss on both cylinders however it may be worth swapping the rail and injectors for a set from a local scrappies to rule it out..

Hope this helps u...
ed

22nd Oct 06 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a single point injection engine so thats an unlikely cause unfortuately
Gregor

22nd Oct 06 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you work on it today ?
Robin
Premium Member

22nd Oct 06 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inlet Gasket ok?

and the throttle body?
CorsAsh

22nd Oct 06 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Inlet gasket was fine.

Worked on it today, but just a cleanup operation before rebuilding it.

Had a few painting bits to do as well so took opportunity whilst engine wasn't in the way...
scottc1088

22nd Oct 06 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like it could be a air leak, try spraying something around it eg water, brake cleaner
Robin
Premium Member

22nd Oct 06 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what will the rebuild involve?
MC Kustoms

22nd Oct 06 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like mine m8 starts up then dies after 2 secs then takes 15-20 min of start stop to get it runing fine
have changed dizzy, rotor arm, sparks, HTs and ecu but still no change pops like made and a bit of black shit coming out of the exzurst done paper clip test befor ecu change and nothing
m8 of mine put fault finder on it that showed the ecu was fcuked so i changed it still no change can seem to sort it anyone help

[Edited on 22-10-2006 by speed6]
CorsAsh

22nd Oct 06 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scottc1088
sounds like it could be a air leak, try spraying something around it eg water, brake cleaner

Will have to be rebuilt first though, could be a problem finding an air leak when the engine looks like this:

Robin, I have no idea mate. Rebuild as it was, rebuild with nova cam, rebuild with an XE. Depends on money, of which I'm having a distinct shortage.
Robin
Premium Member

22nd Oct 06 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rebuild it as it was, with new gaskets, reseat the valves, and change the fuel pump/filter and injector.

then cross your fingers.
CorsAsh

22nd Oct 06 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the most likely course of action.
ed

23rd Oct 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oooh, cleaning valves is fun! Making them all shiney in a lathe
Dan
Premium Member

23rd Oct 06 at 11:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o ed u uni bum in a bloody lathe ...

just stick them back in the head, with some paste on, stick in the drill and amazing results to be had

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Oct 06 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by speed6
sounds like mine m8 starts up then dies after 2 secs then takes 15-20 min of start stop to get it runing fine
have changed dizzy, rotor arm, sparks, HTs and ecu but still no change pops like made and a bit of black shit coming out of the exzurst done paper clip test befor ecu change and nothing
m8 of mine put fault finder on it that showed the ecu was fcuked so i changed it still no change can seem to sort it anyone help

I had this with my 1.2 8v over the last few weeks and after changing all of the parts that you mentioned it turned out to be a faulty coolent temp sensor. Once the car has warmed up it causes it to overfuel as it is still sending too much fuel to the car as it is still under the impression that it is cold. this causes the symptoms that you mentiond.

Only about a fiver from vaux and is easy to replace. Maybe worth a shot. Might be worth a try aswell ash. Although i dont think mine was having problems with not firing all of the cylinders.

[Edited on 23-10-2006 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
ed

23rd Oct 06 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan

just stick them back in the head, with some paste on, stick in the drill and amazing results to be had
Last time I did it I used a drill in a vice at home and some wire wool I like making them shiney before putting them back in
MC Kustoms

23rd Oct 06 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
quote:
Originally posted by speed6

I had this with my 1.2 8v over the last few weeks and after changing all of the parts that you mentioned it turned out to be a faulty coolent temp sensor. Once the car has warmed up it causes it to overfuel as it is still sending too much fuel to the car as it is still under the impression that it is cold. this causes the symptoms that you mentiond.

Only about a fiver from vaux and is easy to replace. Maybe worth a shot. Might be worth a try aswell ash. Although i dont think mine was having problems with not firing all of the cylinders.

[Edited on 23-10-2006 by gavin18787]

thanx m8 i will give this ago 2moro
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Oct 06 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to let us know if it works.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
CorsAsh

23rd Oct 06 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Dan

Last time I did it I used a drill in a vice at home and some wire wool I like making them shiney before putting them back in

This is my plan
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Oct 06 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

port the head with a dremel. you'll gain about 1bhp
CorsAsh

23rd Oct 06 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done already
MC Kustoms

24th Oct 06 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

changed coolent temp sensor and still no change just dont want to start for 10-15 min then it will be fine

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll