corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pics of my newest car!! WoooHooo

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pics of my newest car!! WoooHooo
DarkBahamut

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 06 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FasT09
loving it m8. im after a cooper aswell but its hard to find one that has the right look. ur model is well nice. im after the exact one but in black. all i want to do then is get 18" kahn wheels and slam it muhaha. iv never driven one yet and jus wondered wot the operformance like? is it quiker than most 1.6's?

My friend has had a new Mini Cooper since new (06 plate). To be honest i was sorely disapointed with the performance myself. Ive been in it when hes had his foot well down and while they arent exactly slowly, its hard to call them 'quick' and fast they are not. Ive also followed it in my 1.4 8v corsa and to be honest, from a ~10mph rolling start to around 50-55mph it wasnt exactly pulling away all that much at all.

Handling on them with the uprated suspension is pretty good (no idea what they are like without it) and they seem to stick to the road well, but in terms of raw speed they are average at best IMO.
davey_jack

23rd Dec 06 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really nice, saw one round my area the other day just like yours and thought i quite fancy one of those!
Fad

23rd Dec 06 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very

Almost got a Cooper S myself but trust the current market to shift when I went to look at one, great buy as they loose no mone.

corsa_rob

23rd Dec 06 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb86
Sorry to bring the mood down, but i really hate the new mini. They've spoilt a classic car! Same as the new beetle!

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! old is betta than new any day
jammo20

23rd Dec 06 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks nice mate my mate had one loved the way it went round corners quite hard ride but good at the same time.1.6 engine aint slow either not been in a s tho
antscorsa

23rd Dec 06 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_rob
quote:
Originally posted by glb86
Sorry to bring the mood down, but i really hate the new mini. They've spoilt a classic car! Same as the new beetle!

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! old is betta than new any day

totally different car and manufacturer!!!!
bmw mini is just using the brand and some styling cues for a modern day represnetation not a remake of the original
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think they are a nice car they just a bit slow
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new Mini is honestly one of if not the best standard handling car i've drivin!!! I drove my mates Elise the other day I don't think the steering response is as good as the Mini (grated the one I drive is Modded though... but not a lot).

This is it. It belongs to my Girlfriend. Naturally I started modding it as soon as she got it... lol. Its a Cooper with Chilli Pack and the 'S' Suspension

This is how it used to look (just some different side repeater on it here)

Then I got her some 2nd hand INNOVATIVE 18's with 215 35 18 Yoko Parada's (Best tyre i've ever owned incidentally)

Looking just a tad cooler

And the newly fitted Clear rear lights with silver bulbs

She just wants it lowering now when the warrenty runs out in March and its complete.

Awesome cars! They really are, so well put together and I just can't stress enough how good they handle! Especially with some 18's and good tryes on

Yours looks fantastic mate! Im sure you'll enjoy owning it Immensely!!!

Neil
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it annoys me to when people start comparing the old one with the new...

ITS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR! Get over it. Just because it shares the name. Big whop.... rant over

Neil
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol,

I didn't say that!

Read it again!!! I said the steering Response isn't the same. The Elise is a P-Reg so obviously its done a bit of work so the steering isn't as sharp as it used to be.

I have also drive an S2 Exige on a track, and while OBVIOUSLY it is a far superior car, I must stress that the sharpness and Tightness of the Mini's steering is not a million miles a drift.

I've driven a lot of performance cars and nothing has come so close to the Exige's feel and steering as the Girlfriends Mini.

Neil
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fine....

Im only quoting from personally experience, and having driven the cars in anger.

If people have different experiences than thats fair enough.

Neil
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure the rear suspension... sorry Torsion bar on a 106 looks quite as hardcore as this though

Here's the Suspension spec:

Engine
Suspension

The front axle of the MINI is based on the McPherson suspension strut principle, which offers weight and packaging advantages compared with other chassis systems.

In the MINI, this system has been improved through the addition of a drive shaft bearing, screwed to the engine block, that allows the front axle shafts to be of equal length. This design is normally associated with front-drive vehicles in much higher classes; it provides symmetrical feedback during cornering, accelerating and braking. Normally, small cars have drive shafts of different lengths so that the feedback effect on the side with the shorter drive shaft is greater, which creates a feeling of instability when driving.

The MINI's multi-link rear suspension is unique in this segment. Its geometry is designed in such a way that the wheels always adjust to the best possible angle in relation to the road. The tires are therefore always in full contact with the tarmac. Changes in the camber of the road have no effect on steering or the car's traction. The multi-link suspension allows good use of space and creates a luggage compartment with a low wide floor between the shock absorbers. These are important characteristics in view of the position of the axle, which is close to the MINI's tail.

Both MINI One and MINI Cooper have an anti-roll bar on the front axle, reinforced on MINI Cooper. In addition, MINI Cooper has an additional anti-roll bar on the rear axle, a sporty chassis and Sports suspension. It is also lower by 8 mm. MINI Cooper can also be specified with a Sport Plus suspension system for the real enthusiast.

Both MINI's are fitted with electro-hydraulic power-assisted steering (EHPAS), which is both accurate and direct, giving the pin-point steering sensation and excellent agility so typical of the classic Mini. The steering wheel only needs to be turned 2.5 times lock to lock. The EHPAS system works on the principle of rack and pinion steering. Whilst conventional steering systems use hydraulic pumps that are continuously driven by the engine, the steering pump in the MINI is operated by a small electric motor that works independently of the car's engine.

Since the power steering is not in use all the time, the engine can switch back into a more economical standby mode if no assistance is required for steering, producing a small cut in fuel consumption.

[Edited on 23-12-2006 by Novaneil]
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
the corsa is mcphereson strut also, and that doesnt exactly handle great.

The rear is not.

And I'll bet you can't name a car which isnt McPherson struts on the front, which isn't a caterham, radical etc.

[Edited on 23-12-2006 by Robin]
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must be missing your point then.

Most cars are, most cars don't handle great.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with you

The rear makes a big difference though, which is why the Focus is so good.

Anyway, car looks nice, good colour.
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyway......

Now that we've cleared up that a standard 106 GTi is as good a handling package as a Mini Cooper with the "Sport Plus" suspension upgrade....

Heres a couple of pics i've just dug up from my 2004 Nurburgring trip.

These cars we're all Caged up and lapping rather quickly!!!

I think they are rather

Neil
Ojc

23rd Dec 06 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve, a standard Mini Cooper handles better than any 106 I have driven, 106 handles well but feels twitchy compared with the Mini.
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

106 GTi's handle great (even better when lowered ) but sorry a mini is in a different league when you really start to push the cars.

I can see why you think they feel the same. But like I said... when you start to "really" drive the cars hard the mini just excels. Honestly..... IT DOES.

Neil
Ojc

23rd Dec 06 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What in the name of christ

Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you not seen that before? its the Top Spec £22000 (I believe) John Cooper Works GP edition. SuperMini's don't get much better than that.. or expensive

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=14632

218bhp, 2 seats, 0-60 in 6.2 and lots of fun

Neil

[Edited on 23-12-2006 by Novaneil]
Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok Steve , I give in... Im bored now.

Novaneil

23rd Dec 06 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going outside to do some work on my car now.... My eyes are going Square shaped. lol

All im going to say is that if I had to do one lap of the Nurburgring... and I had the choice of a standard Mini Cooper (Not S) or standard 106 GTi (The Mini obviously being slower in a straight line than the 106). I'd feel far safer, would lap quicker and have more fun in the Mini. Thats not to say I wouldn't enjoy the go kart like 106, I just know that the handling is far better and competent in the mini. Especially at high speed.

If however the 106 was lowered 40mm on a set of Yellow Bilsteins I might change my mind, but its not... we're talking about standard cars here so my choice would be with the Mini.

Neil
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with one thing, the 106 doesnt feel safe
Fad

23rd Dec 06 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
a 106 is twitchy buts that due to the mix of torsion bar and bumpy roads, on a smooth track the 106 will be better imo, the minis just too heavy

[Edited on 23-12-2006 by Steve]

Thats complete bollocks admitedly tje 106 gti is a good car but its too twitchy, feels unsafe and fuck mine you'll be lucky to hit the right pedal out on track...its a lottery

IMO the Mini will have it, fair enough the type of track bears influence on this, but the Mini may be heavier but has much more torque which will help it pull out of corners whereas the 106 you'll have to keep it buzzing just to get anywhere which is too much hard work and also fucking annoying!

Also the interior is much nicer I know what I would have
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Dec 06 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

obvously the mini is an all round better car but then thats why you pay a lot more for one.

like i said before the 106 is twitchy, but this can work in your favour if you know how to drive one properly, and is only really twitchy on bumpy roads, try one on a smooth track

[Edited on 23-12-2006 by Steve]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pics of my newest car!! WoooHooo 22 database queries in 0.0143399 seconds