corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What coilovers?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What coilovers?
Daimo B

User status: Offline
5th Apr 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donnas got FK's on D5. I hate them. lardy boaty wallowy peices of metal. But she'd run out of money by then, and its not as though the car goes round corners quick anyway.

Go with the Billy yellows. If there good enough for Dave F from V-Tuning (who recommended them to me as being superb), then they are good enough for me.

About £300-£350 notes..

As said, with coilovers, go cheap, get cheap results. Pointless, might as well go for high end fixed height and getting better handling.

Spending £900+ on a road going suspension for a Corsa is madness, unless your fancying turning it into a proper hardcore track car....
Baskey

5th Apr 07 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was goning to get coilovers for my clio,

in this months French car mag they fitted a set of £1200 Leda coilovers to a clio cup, had it set up by suspensions specilists (who do suspension for rally cars) and it actully made the car slower, and ruined the ride quality

ok i know its not a corsa but peolpe have raved about these suspension kits on car forums and it just turns out there shit.

My advise would be to try and drive a car with the suspension you wish to purchase first

If i were you, id take vxr's advise and get some nice, simple good quaility fixed hight stuff
Ian W

5th Apr 07 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought coilovers about 2 years ago. Chose coilovers as I wanted to go lower than the normal -60mm all round.

I chose FK's not bad and do for what I need (just lwant it low really, its not a track car)

If i was to replace them I would go with Gaz.

JayCarr

5th Apr 07 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO a lot of people get coilovers just to be able to tell there mates they have coilovers and there car is now the best handling car in the world

Like those Spax coilovers that Halfords were selling cheap, could've got a decent fixed height kit for the same price.
a_j_mair

5th Apr 07 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had fk's thot they were crap TBPH
id buy a decent set of springs n dampers TBH
SAL
Premium Member

5th Apr 07 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
you may think your car would out handle most other hot hatches....

it wont.

that depends on the driver to right ?
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

5th Apr 07 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suspension is a funny thing, everyone thinks theirs is good until you try out a decent kit that is set up correctly
SAL
Premium Member

5th Apr 07 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true dave, i drove chris c's corsa which had harry hockley suspension and it felt so much better than the fk's

i only use the car for commuting and the occasional show etc, it will never go on a track or be used for any form of racing. so for me the fk's are fine as the car sits low and thats all i want

AK

5th Apr 07 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stavs
quote:
Originally posted by AK
you may think your car would out handle most other hot hatches....

it wont.

that depends on the driver to right ?

that can be used in any argument

A 60yr granny could be beaten round a track in an F1 car by Alonso in a metro with dampers needing re-gassed.

I'm talking everday twitsy roads with everyday drivers.

I really really think standard cars (standard suspension) on a lot of cars handles better, in certain conditions.

Most cheap coilovers offer very little rebound and the car tends to get very edgy on rough b roads.

I can drive hire cars quicker on b roads than i could other 'sorted' cars

all i'm saying is.....

coilovers arent the be-all and endall of suspension packages.... esp in budget trim on a budget luke warm hatch back from that mid to late 90's
Cupra Steve
Banned

5th Apr 07 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i only use the car for commuting and the occasional show etc, it will never go on a track or be used for any form of racing. so for me the fk's are fine as the car sits low and thats all i want

yet you stated it out handled every other hot hatch and you were wanting me to race you as you would have tb's etc??? Your confusing!
Ian W

5th Apr 07 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Same here, if Iwas to spend ££££ on a set of proper coilovers they would be used for the exact same - so whats the point
Daimo B

5th Apr 07 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So why not purchase a proven working fixed suspension kit and save yourself a few hundred quid, and have a car that could handle better than a budget coilover kit.

Really, Donnas is scarey to drive round corners, even compared to my standard shox + lowered springs with my XE. Ok mine was far more bouncy, but it stuck to the road far better.

My springs cost me £70 7 years ago, Donnas FK, well, dunno the standard price for those, she didn't pay the RRP price for them anyway.

If D4 ever gets round to seeing the road again, can't wait to try the billys.... Still in the boxes 2 years later

[Edited on 05-04-2007 by VXR]
Cupra Steve
Banned

5th Apr 07 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is Donna's on 18's though?
Ian W

5th Apr 07 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
So why not purchase a proven working fixed suspension kit and save yourself a few hundred quid, and have a car that could handle better than a budget coilover kit.

Got coilovers so I could go lower than -60mm, was the only reason.

Previous to the coilovers I ran an Avo kit with damping adjustment which was great when it was new but pretty dire when it finally came off
Cupra Steve
Banned

5th Apr 07 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not get custom springs so you could lower it 90mm?
Jake

5th Apr 07 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got Fk highsports - the car handles better than standard, height adjustable - Im not competing in the fucking TOCA so not bothered about rideheight=handling and I got then cheap
Ian W

5th Apr 07 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cupra Steve
Why not get custom springs so you could lower it 90mm?

Ive been running custom springs on the back for the last 4 years

Bought the coilovers two years ago so I could bring the front down level with the back, i was a better option than getting custom front springs.

[Edited on 05-04-2007 by Ian_Gsi16v]
AK

how often do you adjust the height?

the point a few folk are trying to make is that a decent fixed height (WITH 'xx'mm springs) can be had for not much more than pish coilovers

I have coilovers on my skyline - i will be adjusting ride heights (and pre-loads via bottom coils).
Cupra Steve
Banned

fair play
Jake

5th Apr 07 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

adjusting the height as and when i please isnt why i got them. I wanted the car quite low regardless of how it affects handling. I had apex 60mm kit and wanted to go lower, The FKs are lower and comfier than the apex
Ian W

5th Apr 07 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK

the point a few folk are trying to make is that a decent fixed height (WITH 'xx'mm springs) can be had for not much more than pish coilovers

I have coilovers on my skyline - i will be adjusting ride heights (and pre-loads via bottom coils).

I never adjust the height lol.

Im not disputing the fact that a fixed rate kit is better than cheap coilovers, the point I was making is that if you simply want to go low then they are a good option.

Correct me if im wrong but all the decent fixed kits (koni, bili's etc) all lower around 35mm, great for track or if you just want to lower a touch but not so great if you want to be scraping the floor
Daimo B

5th Apr 07 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donnas is on 17"s.

The idea of changing the dampers is to allow more that -40mm springs. I.e your fine down to -40mm, but after that your squeezing the standard dampers and they will fail shortly after (depending on road abuse).

An aftermarket fixed suspension can go lower. In 2001 we had people on -90mm springs and -80mm on the front using fixed height dampers with lower springs.

Think Donna had Konis before that. Stuck ok, but solid as a rock (height adjustable). Actually, maybe not, could ahve been something similar, but then again, a lot of the companys used the same stuff just re-branded. Un-sure if thats the same today.
JM_16v

5th Apr 07 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id have LEDA anyday if they didnt go bankrupt
Baskey

5th Apr 07 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone/any company etc ever done any actual testing of coilover kits/suspension kits. Showing differences in lap times etc?
gavin18787
Premium Member

5th Apr 07 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i mainly want to adjust the ride hieght as i dont want it too low at the moment (on 14") but if i get some 16" i may want to lower more in the future

So a comfy ride and lots of lowering is what im after. As i said im not a track driver

Drives supercharged Tec with torque

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What coilovers? 23 database queries in 0.0170481 seconds