corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » 'May Day for Nurses' Campaign

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'May Day for Nurses' Campaign
topshot_2k
Banned

User status: Offline
5th Jun 07 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still expect more from arsenal/man utd etc
nik

5th Jun 07 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
still expect more from arsenal/man utd etc

Why? They might contribute millions to charity between them over the course of a season. I bet they attend a lot of charity functions for free too to raise revenue.

I can understand that it isn't a great situation if they don't contribute but without knowing the in's and outs then I wouldn't slag them off. TBH I get sick of people putting things through my door asking for money, imagine multiplying that by thousands.

I read somewhere that Ashley Cole paid £80,000 for two tickets to a charity do and gives a lot more to specific charities.

[Edited on 05-06-2007 by nik]
topshot_2k
Banned

5th Jun 07 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a days pay not 50grand+
Mather.16v

5th Jun 07 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my sentiments adsactly nik! you hit the nail on the head
dave17

5th Jun 07 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The majortity of high earning players give to charity, they just dont make a big deal about it. Only when its high profile such as this, its gets put in the public view. It says 0 Chelsea players contributed, but im sure the club put forward a large amount of money instead, alot more than 12-22 players would.

As we all know, alot of Arsenals team are foreign, and im sure they are donating to charities from their own country, where their family and friends can benefit from it. I understand they are living in our country, but im sure id be sending my money home, than spending it on people i dont know or will never meet.
nik

5th Jun 07 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Would you give 2-3 hours pay then if someone approaches you? and again, and again, and again..
Nath

5th Jun 07 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't there another report like this a while ago that showed Spurs contributed the most, and Liverpool the least? Not players, but clubs on the whole.
topshot_2k
Banned

5th Jun 07 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
quote:

Would you give 2-3 hours pay then if someone approaches you? and again, and again, and again..

i earn 22k a year, i cant afford to.
Jamie Walby

5th Jun 07 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats bullshit Dave
Jill
Premium Member

5th Jun 07 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually agree with Nik also regarding this, you have hit the nail on the head here perfectly. You don't hear about the players/clubs etc that do contribute to particular funds/charities/events etc raising money for good causes. All you hear is the negative stuff like such and such club's players didn't contribute/donate anything or that "only" one player from Portsmouth donated money.

Was sent an email at work (cos I work in a hospital) and it explained the campaign. Noreen Hertz the campaign manager explains her logic for targetting footballers by saying "Footballers are being asked to lead the way because they have a high profile and can therefore mobilize public support and grab our policy makers’ attention"

JILL
nik

5th Jun 07 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nik
quote:

i earn 22k a year, i cant afford to.

Crap. You could afford £15-20 - but choose not to. Just like a footballer chooses not to give £10,000 or whatever.
Jamie Walby

5th Jun 07 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone that has the luxury of a PS3/360 flat screen LCD and lots of other nice things, and says they cant afford to give money to charity is a big fat smelly cock jockey IMO.
nik

5th Jun 07 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
anyone that has the luxury of a PS3/360 flat screen LCD and lots of other nice things, and says they cant afford to give money to charity is a big fat smelly cock jockey IMO.

I don't have a 360 or a ps3 so thats my excuse for not giving to charity
Hammer

5th Jun 07 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason they chose footballers and not just every day joe millionaires is the fact they have a celebrity status within Britain probably greater than even film or pop stars. If Beckham changes his hairstyle so does a million other 12 year olds trying to be like him. If Steven Gerrard wears white adidas boots so does every Liverpool wannabe.

Surely getting them to take the lead in highlighting nurses pay being out of line with other industries isn't a bad thing
Jamie Walby

5th Jun 07 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby

I don't have a 360 or a ps3 so thats my excuse for not giving to charity

It wasnt aimed at you. I agree with you. It was aimed at topshot.
Jill
Premium Member

5th Jun 07 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Surely getting them to take the lead in highlighting nurses pay being out of line with other industries isn't a bad thing

No I didn't say it was a bad thing. But they're targeting just one sector of wealthy people who have the ability to consequentially influence other people into donating money. If you're going to do something like that then I think there is a better more effective way to go about it that initially targetting rich footballers and hoping the rest of Britain will cotton onto the idea and give their money.

JILL

[Edited on 05-06-2007 by Jill]
topshot_2k
Banned

5th Jun 07 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not, i bought my house and i cant afford to give it away to charities. its not like im on £1m a year is it ffs

nik

5th Jun 07 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not, i bought my house and i cant afford to give it away to charities. its not like im on £1m a year is it ffs

I wasn't suggesting to donate £50,000. I highlighted the fact you say you couldn't afford to donate by asking whats wrong with ten or twenty quid. Horses for courses ffs
Jamie Walby

5th Jun 07 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS
Hammer

5th Jun 07 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jill
If you're going to do something like that then I think there is a better more effective way to go about it that initially targetting rich footballers and hoping the rest of Britain will cotton onto the idea and give their money.

JILL

Yet still be entertaining enough to make a feature length documentary on? I thought it was a good idea tbh
topshot_2k
Banned

5th Jun 07 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
quote:

I wasn't suggesting to donate £50,000. I highlighted the fact you say you couldn't afford to donate by asking whats wrong with ten or twenty quid. Horses for courses ffs

i donated £20 between my missus an sister to run the cancer research race
Jill
Premium Member

5th Jun 07 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jill
If you're going to do something like that then I think there is a better more effective way to go about it that initially targetting rich footballers and hoping the rest of Britain will cotton onto the idea and give their money.

JILL

Yet still be entertaining enough to make a feature length documentary on? I thought it was a good idea tbh

I'm not arguing the greatness of the idea, the cause behind it is good and has helped numerous nurses no doubt. I think it (IMO) would be more entertaining if there were a bigger variety of people were targeted not just footballers, especially if a feature length documentary were involved

JILL
Danny P

5th Jun 07 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im guessing most footballers who give to charity only do it to aviod paying tax
Hammer

6th Jun 07 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read an interview with Dr Noreena there, the women who took it upon herself to do this.

Turns out she solely chose the Premiership and Celtic and Rangers actually got in contact with her to get involved off of their own backs. Gavin Rae didn't even want to be named but only did so to lend a bit more weight to her campaign, muchos respect!

She also say' the Scottish contingent within the Premiership drove the whole process
Cosmo

6th Jun 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just read an interview with Dr Noreena there, the women who took it upon herself to do this.

Turns out she solely chose the Premiership and Celtic and Rangers actually got in contact with her to get involved off of their own backs. Gavin Rae didn't even want to be named but only did so to lend a bit more weight to her campaign, muchos respect!

She also say' the Scottish contingent within the Premiership drove the whole process

Celtic and Rangers both contacted her to get involved but only have 1 or 2 players each donating

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » 'May Day for Nurses' Campaign 23 database queries in 0.0197430 seconds