corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » obsessed with performance times

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author obsessed with performance times
Tom

User status: Offline
24th Oct 07 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
i didnt say i wanted to measure the cars power i was saying most people just care if its nippy around town.

i meen how many people actually care if the car is faster 60-100 or the top end ect.

Depends if you like to show off your cars 'nippy' 0-60 times in the 30mph zones I suppose.
Edd

24th Oct 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who gives a shit people can use figures to show anything they like just like steve his car has a poor 0-60 time so the biggest factor for him is 30-70 but previously his 106 gti was all about 0-60

people boast about what their car is good at big deal

plus seth i guarantee when you bought any of your cars you checked the 0-60 time
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i was in 3rd at 35 ish, my car would pull all the way round to 75ish a lot quicker than a lot pf petrols using the gears to do the same.

a petrol wont do 30-70 in 3rd gear very quickly at all until it gets into the rev range by that time youv lost a lot of time
Baskey

24th Oct 07 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
30-70 is a better indicater then 0-60

generally yes, but it depends on the type of car. IE my car will only do 66ish in second so its 30-70 time will be fairly poor as there would be a gear change involved, where as if you were in say a diesal you would be using 3rd gear and wouldnt have to worry about a gear change effecting your time.

whitter45

24th Oct 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
makes me laugh when people state a car that has a quicker 0-60 time than mine, and actually think its faster

well it will be to 60 from a standstill lol
LeeM

24th Oct 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt bother me much tbh, i used to have to use a callendar to measure 0-60 in my 12v corsa
Rob B

24th Oct 07 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car is a classic example of this i feel..

0-60 of my 306 is about the same as a saxo Vts but after that my rallye storms ahead, but in the pub all i get is "yeah but your 0 -60 is slower than mine etc "
whitter45

24th Oct 07 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if i was in 3rd at 35 ish, my car would pull all the way round to 75ish a lot quicker than a lot pf petrols using the gears to do the same.

a petrol wont do 30-70 in 3rd gear very quickly at all until it gets into the rev range by that time youv lost a lot of time

hence most quote 30 - 70 through the gears rather than just 1 gear
Fonz
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
i would have thought that for 99% of younger drivers cost or insurance are the deciding factors

it is foer me hence why iv got the 12v
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
quote:
30-70 is a better indicater then 0-60

generally yes, but it depends on the type of car. IE my car will only do 66ish in second so its 30-70 time will be fairly poor

exactly why my car has a poorish 0-60
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaking of not being clued up on cars...

A guy at work came up to me the other day to tell me about his new car "a vauxhall astra gti". Alarm bells were ringing from the start, as you can imagine.

After a bit of a conversation he said "You car's a diesel tho right?"

Me: "WTF?! - No"
Him: "But it's GTI Injection tho?"
Me: "haha"
Him: "What size is your engine?"
Me: "2litre turbo"
Him: "Ah right, I thought it was supposed to be quick? So my mums 3 litre BMW would waste it then?"
Me: "GTF"
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

thats my point, i only need one gear to do it, petrols need to either drop it down or start off in a low gear
whitter45

24th Oct 07 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:

thats my point, i only need one gear to do it, petrols need to either drop it down or start off in a low gear

so it will still be quicker to get 70

after he gone past you your not going to say i only used 1 gear though
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not necessarily, time is lost changing gear etc, and my car may get to 70 quicker using 1 gear than a petrol would using all of the gears anyway
whitter45

24th Oct 07 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the car

my point being 30 - 70 in 1 gear is a shite way of deducting performance

if your trying to prove a point your not going to hold the engine in a gear that not optimum for its acceleration
ssj_kakarot

24th Oct 07 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not necessarily, time is lost changing gear etc, and my car may get to 70 quicker using 1 gear than a petrol would using all of the gears anyway

what i dont get it if your car has a slow 0-60 how can it get to 70 faster than a petrol car with a fast 0-60, that doesnt make sense, or am i just being dumb?
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i dont think petrols and diesels should be compared on any range for performance as it will always differ

i think most petrols should be compared 0-60 though and most diesels compared to each other 30-70 or something
whitter45

24th Oct 07 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
tbh i dont think petrols and diesels should be compared on any range for performance as it will always differ

i think most petrols should be compared 0-60 though and most diesels compared to each other 30-70 or something

its fine the way it is as most test performance both ways anyway
taylorboosh

24th Oct 07 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think most people buy cars on the way they look tbh
whitter45

24th Oct 07 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or the brand image
Brett
Premium Member

24th Oct 07 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the whole package, power, looks, and the ability to snap 17yr olds knicker strings at 100yards.
Tom

24th Oct 07 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
who gives a shit people can use figures to show anything they like just like steve his car has a poor 0-60 time so the biggest factor for him is 30-70 but previously his 106 gti was all about 0-60

people boast about what their car is good at big deal

plus seth i guarantee when you bought any of your cars you checked the 0-60 time

quote:

there you go

It's completely dependant on who you are as to what motivates to you buy a car so this post is pointless

I've just been doing some brand research with a group of people who our business customer described as being 'mid-net worth' individuals and most of them are your german, safety, reliablity , not too flashy, depends on the kids kinds, I'm pretty sure most of them aren't bothered about pub figures be them 0-60 or 30-70 mph

taylorboosh

24th Oct 07 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
It's the whole package, power, looks, and the ability to snap 17yr olds knicker strings at 100yards.

my sri badge does this very well
Baskey

24th Oct 07 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsabadboy
quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

my sri badge does this very well

aaa the days of being 18 and sluts saying to me corrr you got a gsi, good ol days lol
Stu

24th Oct 07 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think 0-60 is a poor way of measuring a cars performance! 0-100 is where its at!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » obsessed with performance times 22 database queries in 0.0141339 seconds