corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Learning to Drive

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Learning to Drive
breezy-1.4

User status: Offline
8th Nov 07 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Driving might not be for you mate, 32 lessons plus out in your own car multiple times a week you should have passed about 3 or 4 months ago.

Bellend.

at the end of the day some people take more time than others. dont force yourself out of your shell if your not ready. just take your time and get used to it as it comes. i did double lessons. u learn more that way
mattk

8th Nov 07 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pased in 19 lessons, would have been 15 but I faild my first test, Took me about 3 months
jamesvalver

8th Nov 07 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everone is different. some people pic up new things alot quicker. you can be a really good driver but you can fail your driving test just by nerves and the presure. at the end of the day, your getting your licence at your pace, and no one can dig at you cause of it
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same Here, first 2 times I failed badly, and on the 3rd i passed and got a good mark.

I get loads of minors at the moment according to my instructor, forgetting to look in mirrors, forgetting to indicate etc.
I just cant help it lol, I try and look in mirrors but after a while I just forget to do it.
Im hopeing for a miracle between now and January the 9th lol, something to get my driving upto scratch, as Ive just booked my test to really find out whats going wrong and to get an idea of what a Test goes like.
Would be awesome If I was looking at passing but they way things are at the moment I dont see me passing until the middle of next year tbh.

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
mattk

8th Nov 07 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not with that attitude you wont

Think positive, youll do it this time
dan-h

8th Nov 07 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i done lessons for a couple of months, had 20 odd and passed my test 2nd time, my mate had about 15 lessons and passed three weeks after his 17th birthday first time, people learn differently. if youre concerned about it have a word with your driving instructor or if you feel you arent learning well with him/her change to a different instructor/ SOM.
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by breezy-1.4
quote:
Driving might not be for you mate, 32 lessons plus out in your own car multiple times a week you should have passed about 3 or 4 months ago.

Bellend.

at the end of the day some people take more time than others. dont force yourself out of your shell if your not ready. just take your time and get used to it as it comes. i did double lessons. u learn more that way

Yea, I do force myself at the moment to get out alot, but I thought of that as being a good thing? To get out as much as possible.
I dont dedicate certain times to driving either, its just a case of going out in mine when my Dad mentions that hes going somewhere, so i just tell him that I will drive.
And a few times in the week my dad will drive my car down to my work at the end of my shift and i will drive home.

jamesvalver

8th Nov 07 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my instructor just used to tell me that some ppl are just born to drive and get the hang of it really easily, and others just take some time.

mattk has the right idea tho. u need to keep positive as its the best frame of mind to be in when taking your lessons and test. go to it thinking you'll do great and you will. dont think about the what ifs
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
not with that attitude you wont

Think positive, youll do it this time

Ooops i tried not to come across like that lol, i always think to myself whilst driving that everyone has been a learner driver before, so its ok for me to make mistakes and take my time.
Hopefully between now and January the 9th My test will become a test that Im trying to pass and not a test which Im taking to see what I fail on lol

Ben G

8th Nov 07 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took me a year and abotu 40 lessons to pass, passed 3rd time, but it's because i got nervous when a stranger got in the car
Corsa_Joel

8th Nov 07 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Dont worry about it mate I took around 45 hours to pass with a bit of driving with my old man, it takes time mate some people take 10 hours some people take 80 hours, try to keep cool when driving and if you make a mistake dont dwell on it try to forget about it and give a perfect drive from there.
Keep going at it mate and don't give up.
Hope to see you on the road soon.
Mike GSi

8th Nov 07 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was 17 on the 9th of july 2003 and passed my test first time on the 13th august 2003.

i passed my theory first time on the 10th of july. and then done a 4 day course at 6 hours per day. so 24 hours.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent read all the other comments but mate, just do it when you are ready, stop comparing against other people and think about what you are doing, thats probably half your problem, you are worrying about taking too long which will just stress you out even more
Adam C
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 00:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Joel
quote:

Dont worry about it mate I took around 45 hours to pass with a bit of driving with my old man, it takes time mate some people take 10 hours some people take 80 hours, try to keep cool when driving and if you make a mistake dont dwell on it try to forget about it and give a perfect drive from there.
Keep going at it mate and don't give up.
Hope to see you on the road soon.

Thanks James and Joel, I will do that, keep cool, I do dwell on my mistakes badly lol, like 2 days ago I stalled at a set of traffic lights on a flat surface, couldnt belive i had done it there as Im normally easy gonig on that road, and my dad said sarcastically "Thats not like you Adam, to stall", and for some reason It got to me.
My sisters b/f has offered to got out in mine a few times a week, so might take him up on it as Ive noticed my Dad gets stressed out and fustrated with me after a while lol. He can only take so much of my panicing lol

Rob R

8th Nov 07 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a couple of pints to settle your nerves before you go out for a drive

anyway on a serious note, everyone gets to grips with things differently, riding a bike for example, some people have stabilisers for 2 minutes, i on the other hand have had them for 20 years. there is no set amount of time for how long you "should" learn everything. i had about 20 hours worth of lessons, failed 2 tests within a fortnight then didnt drive for about 4 months. booked a test, had 1 lesson and passed with 3 minors, it's a funny old game.

dont try and force yourself to do things thats when you're more likely to cock them up.

think of your test as an audition for a play or something, you only have to do well for 40 minutes, then after thats when you really begin your training
DarkBahamut

8th Nov 07 at 01:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
Thanks James and Joel, I will do that, keep cool, I do dwell on my mistakes badly lol, like 2 days ago I stalled at a set of traffic lights on a flat surface, couldnt belive i had done it there as Im normally easy gonig on that road, and my dad said sarcastically "Thats not like you Adam, to stall", and for some reason It got to me.
My sisters b/f has offered to got out in mine a few times a week, so might take him up on it as Ive noticed my Dad gets stressed out and fustrated with me after a while lol. He can only take so much of my panicing lol

I wouldnt worry about the stalling thing too much. Everyone stalls from time to time. Its just one of those things that happens. Just remember that even if you stall during the test it isnt an automatic fail. As long as you keep control of the car and do everything you should do calmly then you'll only get a minor for it at the most, far from the end of the world!

The checking mirrors and using signals is just something that comes over time. I remember my very first lesson i had. I thought there was no way in hell i'd ever remember or be able to do all those things at the same time, now its just second nature and i do it all without even thinking about it.

Just keep at it and you'll get there in the end. The worst thing you can do is give up.
MoesTavern

8th Nov 07 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a confidence thing more than anything else, and unfortunately that's something you can't learn. When you're nervous you make mistakes that you wouldn't normally make, and when you make mistakes it makes you even more nervous the next time, and so on.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took me 12 hours of driving
dannymccann

8th Nov 07 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had an hour lesson every week and passed in 2 1/2 months, everything first time. my driving instructor was awesome though (as in personality) couldnt of asked for someone better. I dont remember ever stalling it though. a few of my friends have taken the same sort of time as you but they have now passed, but they are absolutely atrocious on the roads, if i didnt know their cars i would think they were 85 years old
lil_g

8th Nov 07 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 Weeks and 13 Lessons
K3 VMU

8th Nov 07 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7 months & 32 lessons

i turned 17 in aug ( afew years ago) an was past my test by mid sept did my theory and first lesson the day i turned 17,the instructor told me to go home and book my test for asap, think i took 7 lessons
All Torque

8th Nov 07 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Passed theory before I even had lessons and passed first time.
Had LOADS of lessons
passed 3rd time
took 6 months.
did my pass plus in the snow on the M4

I might have taken loads of lessons but in 3 years of driving I've had no accidents and no convictions How many people on here can say that?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

8th Nov 07 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 accidents and 3 points in my first year
Kathryn W

8th Nov 07 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

22 Lessons at an hour each, took about 5 months.

Passed theory 1st, failed 1st driving test, got fed up with having lessons so didnt do anymore just booked my practical again and had a lesson before the test and passed.
adamC20xe

8th Nov 07 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

14 hour long lessons 2 or 3 a week then passed so bout 2 or 3 months

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Learning to Drive 23 database queries in 0.0160620 seconds