corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Megasquirt

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Megasquirt
Warren G

User status: Offline
5th Dec 07 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RobHayes
I had MBE, and I had a bash at mapping it myself, alongside an experienced engine builder who has years of experience with carbs etc.
Its definately NOT easy, but with a bit of patience you can get it running ok

all i need to do is that, get it running okay, then get mapped properly
smartarse

6th Dec 07 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the megasquirt is a piece of piss to map as long as you have the megastim as this can then simulate engine characteristics but without f***ing anything up. i made a map for a 1600 8 valve vaux engine did it in a few hours. im looking at getting one in the new year to have a play with myself
Vaux Lad

6th Dec 07 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hows a simulator going to help with mapping?
it just checks the ecu is working.

With a wideband lambda, making a fuel map is pretty straight forward.
Its ignition that isn't.

Dont bother having the knock sensor option added.

Megasquirt is well worth it, what engine are planning on using it on?
smartarse

6th Dec 07 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the simulator is gona help mapping so then u can check your boundaries whilst mapping such as coolant temp air temp rpm etc etc.
Vaux Lad

6th Dec 07 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You check those when you have the ecu fitted to the car.
Before you attempt to start the engine.

The simulator is just to check the tps inputs etc are working on the MS ecu. Basically just simulating engine sensor inputs.

[Edited on 06-12-2007 by Vaux Lad]
micra_pete
Premium Member

6th Dec 07 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smartarse
Well the simulator is gona help mapping so then u can check your boundaries whilst mapping such as coolant temp air temp rpm etc etc.

what? you don't map with the sim!
broster
Premium Member

6th Dec 07 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£25/hour to map a car, man! how does he make money!

id go for an ecu thats not diy. alot of places wont touch megasquirt due to the way its made, if it goes wrong the results can be a bit messy!

to put it in perspective a gotech ecu and dressed loom currently costs £425+delivery which is about £10, so you have a loom that will plug into all your standard sensors, and one unit which will directly fire the coil has built in launch control, can run full sequential, launch control and flat shift to name a few of the features.

i know what id go for.

mappping isnt straight forward, well doing it properly isnt, and its the ignition that makes the power, or distroys the engine
phil_sutton

6th Dec 07 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im almost finished fitting it to the corsa, its took me ages as i made my own loom up (well two as im running a relay board as well), but I got it of a mate that was going to fit it to his z20let corsa but bottled it. So I had to re wire the ecu to do what I wanted to do as it came as a direct coil feed and other options ect....

The whole idea of megasquirt is you do it yourself, and you build the ecu an loom to suit your application, there are so many different ways you can wire it up. The mapping side of things is easy, an thats the bit im looking forward to.
Vaux Lad

6th Dec 07 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
£25/hour to map a car, man! how does he make money!

Because hes not a company......
DaveB

6th Dec 07 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
to put it in perspective a gotech ecu and dressed loom currently costs £425+delivery which is about £10, so you have a loom that will plug into all your standard sensors, and one unit which will directly fire the coil has built in launch control, can run full sequential, launch control and flat shift to name a few of the features.

So you're saying for £435 + mapping I can have aftermarket management on my XE?
broster
Premium Member

6th Dec 07 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah. and were doing a deal at the moment we will supply fit and map the system for under £1000

so £25/hour to map a car and its all done on the road?
DaveB

6th Dec 07 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2ud broster
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

6th Dec 07 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my experience of megasquirt is that its a bit of a bodge.

as broster says, go for something decent. the Gotech stuff is a bargain and I have used the software and it looks great.

Ignore cheap mapping, pay the money for it to be done right. theres no way you can correctly map ignition timing on the road without risking engine knock and no way that you can actually measure the difference you are making. This is why companies such as Thorney motorsport, Noble motorsport, Jamsport, Vsport etc... spend £50k+ on dynos and equipment and charge the money that we do for mapping. Ask a lad on here called silver_v1gna about his cheap map, it was laughable. it was so far out that a blind person with a kiddies laptop would have done a better job.

get decent management and mapping and you will have a reliable well tuned car, go cheap and you will have constant problems and a poorly set up engine.
corsaandy

6th Dec 07 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and if you are going to buy megasquirt i certainly wouldnt buy it from mtechautomotive the guy is a total prick, and rip off mechant avoid at all costs
Anton2K3

6th Dec 07 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used and run a megasquirt ecu on a S2 106 rallye, worked a treat, and it was relatively easy to set up with a wideband lamda sensor (innovatice LC-1). I bought mine off a guy called phil, who helped to write the 'extra' code which makes it what it is. His website is extraefi.co.uk. He was very helpful, wouldn't have been able to do it on my own without his input. If your going to get one, use this guy!
Dave A

6th Dec 07 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how did you map the ignition timing anton?
Anton2K3

6th Dec 07 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was more guess work, was going to take it to a rolling road to get that side of it tuned properly, but put the car back to standard before I got a chance to.
Dave A

6th Dec 07 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guessing + ignition timing = dead engine
Anton2K3

6th Dec 07 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea wasnt on for long, it was a 'safe' ignition map, didnt push it very far as it was being tuned blind.
phil_sutton

6th Dec 07 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what makes the expensive stuff different on the igntion timing set up then?
Robin
Premium Member

6th Dec 07 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing presumably, other than the availability of base maps, and the fact that normal people don't attempt to map it themselves, on their driveway like they do with MS
phil_sutton

6th Dec 07 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So all the comments are irrelevant then as they just get someone else to get them a base map. If that is the case then megasquirt is no different at all, if you know what your doing and have a very good idea with regards to the whole thing then I cant see any problems. The only one I can see is if some monkey that thinks he's the worlds best mechanic gets hold of it an just jabs in some randmo numbers an goes for a top speed run.
Robin
Premium Member

6th Dec 07 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still think it's the pikey way of doing things, even if you pay someone else to do it, an ECU which you can buy in kit form sounds like a crap idea to me.

Warren DOESN'T know what he's doing, this will be his first attempt, that's where the problem is IMO.

Getting someone else to do it gives you a better chance of things, but I know at least one well known tuner who doesn't go near it at all, and I'd be inclined to take his advice.
Anton2K3

6th Dec 07 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone wanted to, who builds ecu's, they could make them avaliable in kit form. The hardware differs very little. Most people dont map on their driveway, how are you going to map for different engine loads if their stationary. No offense Robin, but your passing comment on something you have neither used, or have any experience with.

[Edited on 06-12-2007 by Anton2K3]
Warren G

6th Dec 07 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

Warren DOESN'T know what he's doing, this will be his first attempt, that's where the problem is IMO.

your right, i dont no what im doing, but want to learn! il am a base map, good enough to drive, then take it somewhere to be mapped properly

iv heard good things about megasquirt, bad things from people who have build the actual unit them selfs, i will buy a ready made unit!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Megasquirt 22 database queries in 0.3730319 seconds